Outdoors
Sponsored by

A new fashioned barn raising

7,543 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was able to have a barn put up on our place in Randall County. I used a GoPro to take a timelapse at the rate of one photo every 10 seconds, and played at a 30fps rate, so it's about a 300:1 time compression.

Had a battery failure so I missed a few hours of the second or third day, I forget which. The background music is West Texas by the late Doug Smith, of Petersburg, Texas. The Youtube page/account is one I created for the auction of my dad's antique tractor collection back in 2013.

It's kind of hard to watch the construction, because the movement of the clouds, contrails, and shadows is sort of mesmerizing.

Sorry it's long (9 minutes), but I think you might enjoy it.

metrag06
AG
Cool! I got caught up looking at the sky for most of it though.

Good plan to build it and immediately wind test it with the low we had go through.

nonameag99
Who is the old man at the end?
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
CanyonAg77
AG
nonameag99 said:

Some old fat guy. Pretty sad, right?
Daddy-O5
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

nonameag99 said:

Some old fat guy.... with a new barn. So all good right?
DeadCiv
AG
Boy howdy, that is some kinda flat y'all got out there. Glad it works for you, though.
DrEvazanPhD
''Tis a fine barn, English
CanyonAg77
AG
1) It is flat
2) wide angle lens makes it even flatter
3) it's really flat
4) it's a short drive to Palo Duro Canyon to remind us what not flat looks like

fullback44
AG

Nice barn... what does a new barn like that run on a square foot basis?

Can you do it for $25 a square ft?
Hehateme1
Dude, that was awesome, thanks
txrancher69
AG
Very nice project and great presentation. Having been involved in my share of barn builds I can appreciate what you accomplished there in a short time. And yes, I have to say it, done in the middle of god-awful flat. Us old guys can get 'er done, Going to be able to run power to it?
So three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar.................You can't convince me that's a coincidence.
CanyonAg77
AG
It's going to cost nearly as much to get power to it, as it cost to build. Looks like I'll be running a generator for a year or two.

And to dispel any false notions, my contribution to building it was to decide where it was and sign the check.
CanyonAg77
AG
fullback44 said:

Nice barn... what does a new barn like that run on a square foot basis?

Can you do it for $25 a square ft?
So it's 16 foot wall so I can get a 14 foot high door, 16 feet wide. Any smaller, can't get a combine or tractor in. Insulated, and the slab is thicker...maybe 8"? I've slept since I spec'ed it out. Insulated. The door, the height, and the slab made it a little higher.

Total $35 a square foot. Probably high, but the builder was excellent. It's a Mueller building.
AtlAg05
AG
Well done!

When's the party?!
bam02
BuddysBud
AG
That is great. I was able to watch the barn and the clouds. Both were fun to watch.
Mas89
sunchaser
AG
Thanks I enjoyed that. I usually do Power Point Shows every year after mule deer as well as elk camp. I have used Doug Smith. I have used West Texas in several. I also like Hope. I did not know that he had passed away.
CanyonAg77
AG
He was an unusual and talented guy. He was paralyzed in a car wreck in 2007, fought his way back and was playing the piano again. He passed in 2016. Google up the Texas Country Reporter segments on him when you have time.

And check out the software, Womdershare Filmora, to make your presentations. Better than Power Point, and you can mix photos, videos, and music.
Tube
I'm pretty sure that's still the song they use to demonstrate the power of the sound system during the intro of the Omnimax in Lubbock.
bco2003
AG
Tube said:

I'm pretty sure that's still the song they use to demonstrate the power of the sound system during the intro of the Omnimax in Lubbock.
Yep. At least did at one time. It wasn't played at the show we went to in November.
CanyonAg77
AG
Tube said:

That's where I first heard it.
sunchaser
AG
I did know about the accident but I didn't know he got back to playing. I've never seen another album.
jtp01
AG
Dirt work starts on my shop tomorrow. 40x100 with 5' wide perimeter concrete. Also a 20'x40' approach/porch. Plumbing or a restroom and electrical service all for $32.50/sq.ft.
CanyonAg77
AG

https://www.lubbockonline.com/article/20160606/lifestyle/306069913
Burdizzo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

nonameag99 said:

Looks like an opinionated SOB.

Usually good opinions too.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Looks like an opinionated SOB. True.

Usually good opinions too. Occasionally.
MouthBQ98
AG
Pretty cool. I liked the contrast of the men furiously moving about (except lunch breaks), and then clouds in the sky slowly and steadily moving by.
CanyonAg77
AG
Yeah, I could have cut out the lunch breaks, I guess.

I have a lot more footage, as sometimes I let it run through some pretty sunsets. Maybe I just need to make those into a video.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Surely I'm not the only one who read this as "should have not allowed these guys to stop working to eat lunch" at first.

Maybe it's because it reminds of my granddad, and the farm I grew up on in the Panhandle. Thanks for sharing.
PA24
AG
Just built a 54x80' hangar that cost $40/ft^2

Wish I would have filmed the construction.

CanyonAg77
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Surely I'm not the only one who read this as "should have not allowed these guys to stop working to eat lunch" at first.

Maybe it's because it reminds of my granddad, and the farm I grew up on in the Panhandle. Thanks for sharing.
My dad always ate meals very fast, and mom would always grump at him. I picked up that habit, though I still don't eat as fast as he did.

When I was older, I learned that when his dad finished a meal, he left the table to head to the field, and so did all the kids, whether they were through or not. So dad learned to finish before grandad did.
Caliber
AG
Why aren't there any trees?! What kind of hell is that?!
EllisCoAg
AG
these are always so cool to watch, thanks for sharing and like to see the weather blow in. the music was perfect.
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
CanyonAg77
AG
Brad06ag said:

Why aren't there any trees?! What kind of hell is that?!
Paradise.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.