Outdoors
Sponsored by

DIY 4x6 deer blind

10,284 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BrazosDog02
mt3950
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have some plans or a cut list for a 4x6 blind? I'm planning to use deer view style flip up windows and an rv door...will be my first "ground up" build of a blind. Any suggestions, or things to shy away from?
bdgol07
AG
Why not 4x8 to use full sheets of plywood?
mt3950
AG
Thought about that. Think it would add a bunch of extra weight, and make it more cumbersome to move. Will probably just stick with 4x6.
AnScAggie
AG
Go to a sheet metal shop and they can either make you a 4x6 duct to whatever height you want with a roof and floor pan that you can knock together or brake it to where you can screw it together. It'll cost 3 times much but will last 20 times as long. The oldest one of these I have was built 35 years ago and is all original including the floor.
JLN90
AG
AnScAggie said:

Go to a sheet metal shop and they can either make you a 4x6 duct to whatever height you want with a roof and floor pan that you can knock together or brake it to where you can screw it together. It'll cost 3 times much but will last 20 times as long. The oldest one of these I have was built 35 years ago and is all original including the floor.

You have any pics? Interesting concept
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
ccard257
AG
Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you over plans, a cut list, pictures, and what I will do differently next time
Cibalo
Here is a good looking plan. you can change the dimension to meet your needs
http://myoutdoorplans.com/hunting/deer-blind-plans/

I bought this kit about 3 years ago and it has worked out well. it took 3 of use a weekend to build and set it up. I think the supplies was about $300
https://deertexas.com/deer-blind-kits/
TwoMarksHand
AG
bdgol07 said:

Why not 4x8 to use full sheets of plywood?

I took this advice in my High School welding class. Except doubled it to make a 8x8x8 deer blind. Structure was all 1" square tubing and the outside was all 4x8 sheets of OSB. That this was HUGE and heavy as all get out.

But it's now over a decade old and works like a champ.
FincAg
AG
Put it on skids. If you're doing a raised blind, make your ladder heavy duty and use it as the skid. Or just biga** rails. Whichever.
AnScAggie
AG

These are all I have pictures of it is a 5x6 I did a few years ago.
schmellba99
AG
I have a 6x6 that I built sitting in pieces on a trailer at my lease - if it would ever stop raining for more than a week, I might be able to get it out to my spot and get it set up.

I built mine in such a manner that I can take it apart in pieces and move it [relatively] easy - the base and legs are one piece, each wall is a unit that I screw together at the corners, the door is separate and the roof will be built on site as it's just a pain to try to have as a unit like the walls. My blind doesn't sit all that high - about 3 feet off the ground, theoretically I could put it together myself [I won't try that, not young or spry enough anymore]. It's not what I would call a quick setup or takedown, but it is at least moveable.

I haven't finished out the interior yet - want to get it up before I decide how I'm going to do that. I know I will add plenty of hooks for my pack, my heater buddy, probably a gun rack, etc. Have thought long and hard about putting a urinal in it after I get it built too, but not sure if I will go that far or not.

I am also using Deer View Windows - front of the blind is 2 each 24" windows, the sides are 36" windows. I wanted the smaller windows up front so I could open only 1 when I'm hunting alone, at least my thought were that was better for keeping the interior of the blind less visible and keeping any warm air in longer.

I have decided that I'm going to put a good set of stairs and porch on the back - mostly so access is easy and safe. Even though it's not high like a south Texas blind, I don't want to have to climb any ladders or that garbage - as muddy as it gets down here, that's asking for me losing skin on my shins or some other nonsense. My porch will be a 90 degree porch so that I have good access behind my blind for mowing and my buggy. I've even though about putting a set of 12v vent fans in the walls to get some air flow in the hotter months, but that may end up being a "later down the road" mod.
AnScAggie
AG
I had 6 blinds cut and formed last year that were 4x6 and they ran about $400 without a base and $600 with a 6" base. Keep in mind that's just for the metal. You still have to put it together. But depending on how cheap you want to go with doors and windows you could have a blind for less than $600 or around $900 if you do good/deerview windows.
aggiegolf86
AG
I have built a few and keep it pretty simple. I build the front and back frames out of 2x4s. Once I have the floor down I screw the frames into it. Then I just add the walls. I get plexi glass cut for the windows and just use some plastic sliders to open and close the windows. I just cut the door out of the back side and use the cut piece as the door. All the wood was able to fit in the back of my truck and then I just set it up on site. I put this up by my self in a few hours. If I want to move it i can take apart and set it up somewhere else

KenAg06
AG
Here is one I did last year. I built a 6x6 because my 4x6 became too small with kids. It's modular so each wall transports in 2 sections. I went with 2x3's to save weight and they are cheaper than 2x2's. The floor is 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood. I have basic drawings for the stand and base.

I posted more pictures on this thread. https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2958191/replies/52021789

Not sure you will be able to see this. I can email if you are interested.

mt3950
AG
KenAg06 said:

Here is one I did last year. I built a 6x6 because my 4x6 became too small with kids. It's modular so each wall transports in 2 sections. I went with 2x3's to save weight and they are cheaper than 2x2's. The floor is 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood. I have basic drawings for the stand and base.

I posted more pictures on this thread. https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2958191/replies/52021789

Not sure you will be able to see this. I can email if you are interested.

2x3 is an interesting idea that I hadn't considered....will look into it for sure. That thing looks awesome! Thanks for posting the plans!
KenAg06
AG
One thing I wouldn't do is make the door full height. It limits how far out you can carry your roof. I had planned on covering my porch with my roof but it got too low for the door.
BrazosDog02
AG
I converted a 5x8 playhouse the kids never used any more. Heavy. Awkward for dimensioning but I never have regretted the extra space inside. I've had four people in it at once with room to spare. It's not like you're moving it every week.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.