Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cadets outshooting every SF sniper team at Mammoth is outdoors.

20,304 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RAB87
Puryear Playboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Article is below. By far CCMU's most impressive achievement, and I am more than a little humbled to say that.

They out performed every Army and Navy SF sniper team there, snipers from units that don't exist, USMC sniper instructor staff, 75th Ranger teams (we have out rucked them since the beginning...they don't like that) and a lot more.

It is hard to get your arms around something this big for a while...but I am sure proud of these cadets and their hard work every single day. As Texans we should all be proud, and as Aggies we should be even more proud. You should see the letters I have gotten from the soldiers they competed against and the officials at the event. Winning with character is truly winning.

Impossible is an opinion.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/02/texas-am-cadet-sniper-teams-compete-in-grueling-2019-mammoth-sniper-challenge/#axzz5eahElxbf
DDSO
BenderRodriguez
AG
Damn I wish this had been up and running when I was in school.

Well done, y'all.
OldArmyAggie94
AG
Good bull!
Maverick06
GSS
AgLA06
AG
Hell of a showing!

Y'all are really building an amazing program.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
That is awesome!
ConstructionAg01
AG
That is simply an incredible achievement. Says a lot about the quality of the young men and even more about their instructors.
skelso
MouthBQ98
AG
Really cool.
javajaws
drummer0415
AG
Excellent work sir. Keep it up!
wreckt01
dr_boogs
AG
What an accomplishment! Thanks for posting.
Naveronski
DatTallArchitect
AG
Would you mind sharing what the procedural penalty was for the team that came in third?
AgLawman
raygwar99
AG
Way to go!
Puryear Playboy
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

Would you mind sharing what the procedural penalty was for the team that came in third?

The first day it rained six plus inches. After that it got below freezing. Not as bad as last year when it was 4 degrees the last night, but camping in freezing mud sucks.

They didn't pull the bolt apart on one of the two rifles to clean it. Frozen grease/oil sludge built up on the firing pin. First shot of the day, press the trigger...no click, no nothing. Lift the bolt, back down, press, nothing. Cycle the bolt, press, nothing. Lift the bolt and...bang.

Staff went through the rule book and determined it only rated a stage disqualification.

Lesson learned. They finished six points out of second place, and missed some shots that could have given them back the lead. It was close in the end, but they were way out front before that happened.
dstuckey4
Dees83ag
AG
Wow! Very impressive!
arrow
AgTech88
AG
The article describes their gear and it sounds like high-end custom equipment. Do you know if all the teams use the same gear or can use any gear they want? Are the military teams required to use their standard issue gear (although I would assume their standard issue stuff is top notch - is that a correct assumption)?

BTW I do NOT intend this question to disparage the performance of our teams! The CCMU's success against more experienced, professional competition is a tremendous accomplishment that makes me very proud.
Just curious about the details of the competition.
Puryear Playboy
AG
It's a legit question. The folks at a certain military academy on the east coast were remarking to me one day about their perceived lack of support from their institution...I reminded them that their ammo, literally, is delivered in a railroad car.

Ours comes in the bed of my truck.

When your team sponsor is Uncle Sam, you have a lot of advantages. The guys at this event are all from very high speed units where budget is not an issue. The issue scopes on their rifles, just one, cost more than two of my rifles with optics. Take two of their complete rifles and throw in range finders and spotting scopes and you equal one-half my annual budget.

And we are talking about guys who's only job is to go to the range. Our guys job is to go to class. We have good gear, in some cases as good. But we innovate more, we apply skills from other shooting disciplines (like 3Gun), we out think the competition (we carried tripods...not every team was willing to add the weight...but we knew our limitations and ate the weight to increase capability) and focus on getting the most from what we have to bridge the gap in technology. It really is all about fundamentals.

From a gear perspective it's not even close. It's nice to have a better Arrow, but I will take a better Indian every time given the choice.
AgEng08
ttha_aggie_09
Moon Shadow
Read an article in the latest (February 2019) American Rifleman on the CAR-15 (XM177E1 & E2) and the Special Forces guys that carried them in SEA with MACVSOG. Those special forces guys broke down and fully cleaned their weapons whenever they had the opportunity to prevent failures to fire. Albeit was usually at the end of a mission into Cambodia, Laos, or North Vietnam.
Of course that was life or death situations.
AgTech88
AG
Great info - just what I was looking for. And thanks for taking my question the way I intended it..
dr_boogs
AG
Puryear - how do we donate directly to the CCMU? Through the Corps but marked CCMU? I live in B/CS, are there opportunities to volunteer to help you guys out?
schmellba99
AG
Quote:

press the trigger
I have an irrational hatred of this terminology. I know it is the phrase du jour, but I dislike it.
dr_boogs
AG
schmellba99 said:

Quote:

press the trigger
I have an irrational hatred of this terminology. I know it is the phrase du jour, but I dislike it.
I don't think the CCMU would score well if they were "pulling the trigger". What's your preferred phrase du jour?
Naveronski
AG
dr_boogs said:

schmellba99 said:

Quote:

press the trigger
I don't think the CCMU would score well if they were "pulling the trigger". What's your preferred phrase du jour?

Rapid, nervously, jerking.
MB19
AG
Having shot 3 gun with the A&M Marksman unit, I can safely say that those young men and young women can flat shoot.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Puryear Playboy said:

It's a legit question. The folks at a certain military academy on the east coast were remarking to me one day about their perceived lack of support from their institution...I reminded them that their ammo, literally, is delivered in a railroad car.

Ours comes in the bed of my truck.

When your team sponsor is Uncle Sam, you have a lot of advantages. The guys at this event are all from very high speed units where budget is not an issue. The issue scopes on their rifles, just one, cost more than two of my rifles with optics. Take two of their complete rifles and throw in range finders and spotting scopes and you equal one-half my annual budget.

And we are talking about guys who's only job is to go to the range. Our guys job is to go to class. We have good gear, in some cases as good. But we innovate more, we apply skills from other shooting disciplines (like 3Gun), we out think the competition (we carried tripods...not every team was willing to add the weight...but we knew our limitations and ate the weight to increase capability) and focus on getting the most from what we have to bridge the gap in technology. It really is all about fundamentals.

From a gear perspective it's not even close. It's nice to have a better Arrow, but I will take a better Indian every time given the choice.
Puryear, I think y'all need to do a shooting class fundraiser. I would donate good money to the CCMU to spend a day at the range getting classroom/small group instruction on shooting. Isn't there a 600 yard range in Millican?

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.