Outdoors
Sponsored by

It's 8 deg- am I stupid???

6,207 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by khkman22
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
87IE said:

marcel ledbetter said:

I smoke year round out here in Oregon. My smoker is a big commercial refrigerator with a wood burning stove plugged into it. That thing is so well insulated it doesn't know the difference between 95 in the summer or 10 in the winter. The only difference between summer and winter smoking is the amount of wood the stove consumes. This thread reminds me that it's time to fire it up and smoke up a year's supply of brisket and pulled pork.

Do you have any pics of your smoker. It would be interesting to see.
A friend of mine west of Fort Worth uses an old commercial refrigerator for smoking. It has a vent hole in the top, a hole in the front with a thermometer mounted in it, racks for the meat, and a couple of hot plates in the bottom. He puts a pie tin with wood chips on it on a hot plate for smoke and adjusts the inside temperature by turning the power up or down to the hot plates.
DOCAG79
AG
By the way, Seriously Texas BBQ in Durango is not bad for when you are a long ways from Texas and needing a fix!!!
cupofjoe04
AG
DOCAG79 said:

By the way, Seriously Texas BBQ in Durango is not bad for when you are a long ways from Texas and needing a fix!!!
Yeah, I been there a few times. It is good food, for sure. Just not true TX BBQ (flavor wise), so it doesn't scratch the itch for me personally.

There is actually a guy here in Pagosa that cooks a MEAN brisket - Sage Eatery. Its a big trailer/food truck type deal. His gravy has green chilies... but I let that slide because his brisket, sausage, and chicken taste as close to TX as I have found.
Aggieangler93
AG
I would expect any brisket cooked fat side down, to be pretty dry. Most of the moisture comes from the fat, IMHO. I bet if you cook the next one fat-side up, you won't have near the issues. It is interesting that you got to the stall so soon, but I don't have much experience cooking anything but a whole brisket packer style, when it comes to brisket.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I would expect any brisket cooked fat side down, to be pretty dry. Most of the moisture comes from the fat, IMHO. I bet if you cook the next one fat-side up, you won't have near the issues. It is interesting that you got to the stall so soon, but I don't have much experience cooking anything but a whole brisket packer style, when it comes to brisket.

The correct way is to position the fat side towards the heat... It's hard not to end up with a relatively dry brisket if you are starting with select grade though.
LEJ
cupofjoe04 said:

DOCAG79 said:

Yeah, I been there a few times. It is good food, for sure. Just not true TX BBQ (flavor wise), so it doesn't scratch the itch for me personally.

There is actually a guy here in Pagosa that cooks a MEAN brisket - Sage Eatery. Its a big trailer/food truck type deal. His gravy has green chilies... but I let that slide because his brisket, sausage, and chicken taste as close to TX as I have found.

Sage is great. They have to pander some to the touristy types (cole slaw on a brisket sandwich) but their brisket is damn good. I felt like "Norm" from cheers after the first visit during my time in Pagosa this past year. The pit master is from Tyler I believe.
cupofjoe04
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

Aggieangler93 said:

The correct way is to position the fat side towards the heat... It's hard not to end up with a relatively dry brisket if you are starting with select grade though.

khkman22
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

Aggieangler93 said:

I put mine on a rotisserie and avoid any problems people have from either method.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.