Outdoors
Sponsored by

Burrowing Owls

2,992 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BMo
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Inspired by the Great Horned Owl thread, and not wanting to take it off topic, I thought I'd show some shots of one of my favorites, burrowing owls. Cool little birds, often found in prairie dog towns, often on their own. We had a bunch show up near my mom's house in Hale County two years ago. They did not show in 2017 or 2018, but here's some shots from 2016, and I'll watch for them in 2019.

CanyonAg77
AG

Little extra in the photo below. See it?

CanyonAg77
AG
Couple more. I like this guy, standing on one foot in the snow.

And this isn't a great photo, except the low sun angle effected his pupil dilation, which made it a cool shot.

mellison
AG
Cool pics, thanks for sharing!
SWCBonfire
AG
So do you have like a really great zoom lens, or are you able to get reasonably close to the owls?

Great pictures, by the way.
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks, all. Not a great lens, and most of these were taken from a car or pickup. The don't seem as skittish about a vehicle as they do about a person. So some were as close as maybe 10 feet.

Probably these were with the Cannon18-135 lens, though I also have a 70-300.

But I'm shooting a Cannon T5i, with an 18mp sensor. So I can zoom in a bit on editing, and still have an image of good enough quality for the Internet.
labmansid
Very cool birds, and great shots. I know of birders that sometimes go to the panhandle to see the Burrowing Owls up there.

Up until last year, there was a Burrowing Owl that wintered down at Anahuac NWR near Galveston for several years. There was a large concrete slab near the fence in a cow pasture that had a burrow going under one corner. The owl would set up shop in that hole. It was quite the celebrity when it was around.

Hurricane Harvey unfortunately put an end to that. The hole got filled in by sediment from the storm, and the little owl hasn't been seen since. I managed to get some shots of it the year before, neat to see in person.

The slab under which it lived.

CanyonAg77
AG
Very nice. I take very good photos. You and others on the board take great photos.
AMC12
AG
I remember growing up in south Florida we had tons of those on our baseball and soccer fields that were fenced off with the orange construction fencing. Was always interesting if the ball rolled up to the fence near their dens.
Ayto Siks
I still see some in Cape Coral and Marco Island.
Gary79Ag
AG
First thought that came to mind when I saw this pic...

Baby, it's cold outside!
EMY92
AG
There were some on the field in Lubbock my stepson practiced T-ball on. Adults were scattered about to make sure that the kids didn't step in one of the prairie dog holes, then an owl would pop his head out of one in the middle of the field. They never seemed too disturbed by the action happening around them.
Serious Lee
txags92
AG
Cool birds that re fun to watch. If you live up that way and want to see them, go to former Reese AFB outside of Lubbock. That place is loaded with prairie dogs, burrowing owls, and prairie rattlesnakes. No access pass needed to see plenty of them.
cupofjoe04
AG
Those are some awesome shots, of an amazing little owl. Thanks for sharing!
dr_boogs
AG
Great photos! On the pupil size, many birds have skeletal muscle in the iris and can voluntarily control pupil size of each eye. Different than mammals in that regard. If you look at labs' photo of his owl, pupil size in that shot is different as well. I've always wondered if it would be cool to be able to voluntarily control your pupil size independently or if it would just be another body function to have to control. I mean who wants to have to remember to breathe, beat your heart, etc. - at some point the autonomic nervous system was made for all of these things. Why aren't bird pupils under complete autonomic control? Just food for thought. Random useless fact of the day....
CanyonAg77
AG
Did everyone see the second owl?

Quote:

CanyonAg77
AG
TexAgs, we know stuff. Interesting about the pupils, thanks for telling us.

And to hearken back to the photography thread. Remember we talk about always having your camera with you? Years ago, I saw a bunch of baby burrowing owls pop out of the hole. No camera that day.
CentralTXag
AG
Pretty cool photos. Always saw lots of them on the golf courses when I lived in Midland.
cupofjoe04
AG
Yeah, I thought it was cool how he was just peeking out!
12f Mane
AG
Great shots! I've come across two along the coast (neither of which I could get a good photo of).

This one was on the east end of Matagorda Peninsula, overwintering on the abandoned airport runway under a pile of boards, 2016

And this one was in a cattle pasture in southern Liberty County using a small dry culvert, 2011

AgBQ-00
AG
He is either stalking the camera or playing peek-a-boo
Tree Hugger
AG
I've had to do some field surveys for the burrowing owl in southeastern New Mexico recently. Many hours in the oil field, but still haven't seen one.
CanyonAg77
AG
Tree Hugger said:

I've had to do some field surveys for the burrowing owl in southeastern New Mexico recently. Many hours in the oil field, but still haven't seen one.
They are migratory. Are they even supposed to be there right now?

If not, that might be why they planned the survey for now.

BMo
Wife and I are planning a trip to Lubbock next year primarily to photograph burrowing owls.

Same owl posted by Sid. Quite the attraction for a couple of years.

They do like playing Kilroy like in the post above.

Also, have had reports in Williamson Co.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.