Outdoors
Sponsored by

Texas Observer: Parks in Peril

6,150 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiepublius
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure when Brazoria, TX became another country...

This picture was taken about 6 weeks ago.
BenFiasco14
AG
Sounds like Danielle and Lane Medrano need to be heavily fined at a minimum. I'll never understand people who deface nature like this to write their worthless names and a heart or similar idiocy.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Your Friend
I try and avoid any public land on weekends, holidays, or during summer
Thunder18
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

What can a person do to affect a change for the better?

Contact your representatives and demand that they stop trying to pilfer the dedicated funds from sporting goods taxes that are supposed to be going back to parks
LEJ
Let's go visit them
Agmechanic
AG
RAISE PARK ENTRY FEES

THIS IS A SIMPLE ECONOMICS ISSUE

SUPPLY AND DEMAND
a gmechanic 01@gma i l (no spaces)
Thunder18
AG
I'll be there to do just that sometime in January or February with the Texas Recreation and Parks Society
LEJ
Good work. I'm working on putting something together with Backcountry Hunters & Anglers later in spring
Drip99
AG
LEJ said:

Good work. I'm working on putting something together with Backcountry Hunters & Anglers later in spring

Thanks! I recently joined backcountry
chris1515
AG
Agmechanic said:

RAISE PARK ENTRY FEES

THIS IS A SIMPLE ECONOMICS ISSUE

SUPPLY AND DEMAND

But do we really want enjoyment of our parks to be an economic issue?

Not to get all political, but do we really want to price out some of our fellow Texans so they can't enjoy the state parks? What if it's you that's being priced out?
CanyonAg77
AG
People are already priced out of the parks, if the entry fee is the straw that broke the camel's back. You have to have a car, gas money, food money. If the park is far from home, you have to have a motel.

You think state parks are bad, how about National Parks and Wildernesses? We spend millions on wilderness areas that cost thousands and thousands of dollars to travel to. They are only usable by the higher end of people as far as fitness and time off from work.

As great as it is for everyone to get into the outdoors, we can't let everyone into the parks and have the parks survive. Use has to be rationed, somehow.

Price is the easiest and fairest way to do so.
Shoefly!
AG
Whatever happened to the ranch between Indianola and Port O'Conner? The Powderhorn Ranch was given to the state 4 yrs ago and I read that it would open after all ecosystem life was documented. I guess it's a long study.
Shoefly!
AG
Your Friend said:

I try and avoid any public land on weekends, holidays, or during summer

I guess you don't go to any sip games either?
Joe Exotic
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Pretty soon every park that is even somewhat popular is going to start doing the reservation system that places like Jacob's Well and Hamilton Pool does, where you have to book your trip months in advance, or weeks (if you can get a random weekday off from work)

Enchanted Rock is about to implement this as well

In February the Texas state parks are moving to an online reservation system where each specific site will be reservable. We are currently have all our sites booked until mid June. I will book Fall 2019 sites around May. At some parks like Inks Lake and Dinosaur Valley many weekends in the Spring were already booked full by November.
p_bubel
Shoefly! said:

Whatever happened to the ranch between Indianola and Port O'Conner? The Powderhorn Ranch was given to the state 4 yrs ago and I read that it would open after all ecosystem life was documented. I guess it's a long study.
They still haven't opened the Big Satan on the Devils River, and that was purchased near 8 years ago. So, don't hold your breath.
Neches21
Quote:

Not to get all political, but do we really want to price out some of our fellow Texans so they can't enjoy the state parks? What if it's you that's being priced out?

Matching National Parks (or even a little more) isn't that expensive that it prices people out. If you can't afford the cost to get into a national park then you probably can't afford the gas that it would take to get there anyway
Aggietaco
AG
Neches21 said:

Quote:

Matching National Parks (or even a little more) isn't that expensive that it prices people out. If you can't afford the cost to get into a national park then you probably can't afford the gas that it would take to get there anyway
I'm not a left leaning guy generally, but I absolutely don't want some poor single mother not to be able to take her son/daughter to a state park because it costs her $50 instead of $25 to get in and that means having to chose between dinner and a visit to public land. Entry fees should be cheap and only used to cover basic expenses of the park land. I'm all about using the ear marked tax dollars to buy and develop new public lands and making natural areas more accessible to anyone that wants to take advantage.
FrontPorchAg
Kick the Californians out. Next question?
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I'm very pro-free market, but when it comes to parks land held in trust by the government for use by the public, it should be cheap to access. The method for limiting destruction and preserving the natural character of the parks should be a restriction on the number of daily visitors and their allowed behavior. We can debate this should be based on reservations, a lottery or first come/first serve. Obviously some parks have exceeded their natural carrying capacity and behavior is poorly enforced (and isn't being taught at home).
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Neches21
Surely a middle ground can be found.
No one wants our parks to be "too expensive", but if just the top 10 most visited State Parks raised their admission fee by $1 per vehicle there would be an additional $3,132,269 flowing into the system.
People tend to abuse things that are free or cheap and value things that cost them money.
aggiepublius
AG
Looks like there may be bi-partisan support in Texas Leg to ask the voters to approve amendment to make to force the legislature to send the full sporting goods sales tax funds to TPWD and TSHA.

Source: https://www.texastribune.org/2019/01/30/state-push-to-fully-fund-Texas-state-parks-and-historic-sites/
Quote:

State lawmakers aim to lock in funding for Texas parks, historic sites

In 1993, the Legislature passed a law that said state parks and historic sites could receive all of the money generated by a tax on the sale of sporting goods. Since then, state lawmakers have given the parks department only about 40 percent of those collections.

<snip>

State Sen. Lois Kolkhorst, R-Brenham, and Rep John P. Cyrier, R-Lockhart, have filed legislation that would ensure that the state parks department always gets the maximum amount of money it is authorized to receive from a tax on the sale of sporting goods to maintain parks and build new ones but only if voters approve it.

In 1993, state lawmakers passed legislation allowing up to 94 percent of the Sporting Goods Sales Tax to go to parks, with the other 6 percent earmarked for the Texas Historical Commission, which maintains the state's 22 historic sites. But over the next two decades, they allocated just 40 percent of the tax to the parks system.

Kolkhorst and Cyrier's legislation aims to amend the Texas Constitution to ensure that the state parks department and historical commission always receive the entirety of sporting goods tax collections. If passed by the Legislature joint resolutions require approval from two-thirds of both the House and Senate the proposed amendment would be placed on the November general election ballot.

<snip>
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.