Outdoors
Sponsored by

The Curio & Relic Thread

13,871 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by byfLuger41
Red Pear Realty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
I like old guns. This is one of my favorites--it was made during WW2 and a weapon like this one was carried by both of my grandfathers during their service. Please share yours if you've got the C&R itch like I do.

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Mark Fairchild
AG
DAMN, that makes me feel REALLY old, we had M1's for Federal Inspection in the 60's in the Corps! Am I a Curio or a Relic? Do not answer that!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
TwoMarksHand
AG
Always blue star M1 Garands
rab79
AG
I didn't think garands qualified as curio and relic firearms.....
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Here's a rifle that I wish could talk. I bought it from a guy in East Texas who said that he purchased from an old vet who got it as a bring back. The BCD 43 code means that it was manufactured in Gustloff Werke in 1943, and it has what I believe is evidence of shrapnel impact in several places. Everything matches except the bolt--the story I've read is that when the GI's boarded their ship home, they were asked to remove the bolt and toss it in a barrel until they arrived stateside, at which point they could have a bolt from the pile. But who knows.

Another interesting fact about the serial numbers on the k98...If you look at the M1 Garand, serial numbers start at 1, and are sequential through 6 million or so (with a few blips where some people forgot how to count and double assigned a few serials). Not the same with the k98. The Nazis did their best to hide weapon manufacturing capabilities and numbers from the allies. So they did some funny things with serial numbers that made them really difficult to keep track of. Like start over mid way through a serial number run, or omit letter suffixes of a few letters so that it appeared they were making more guns than they actually were.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
rab79 said:

I didn't think garands qualified as curio and relic firearms.....
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics

Quote:

Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF's C&R list.

I'm not bolding that--its a direct copy/paste from the ATF website.
rab79
AG
Thanks red pear, I was under the mistaken impression that a manufactured before xxxx year was the criteria for C&R status
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
SunrayAg
AG
I have a Sears and Roebuck bolt action .16 gauge that my grandfather acquired on a trade during the Great Depression.
A.G.S.
AG
Winchester Model 1894, bought brand new by my Great Grandad in 1927.

I've personally brought down a few deer with it. Plan to keep using it till 2027 and hang it up then.

I'll get pics tonight.
UTExan
Two items: I have an old Chilean carbine (1895) in 7mm Mauser which is a future restoration project for me and a Swiss K31 (1944/beech stock) straight pull, which I briefly considered selling. After reconsidering, the Swiss Miss stays and there about 200 GP 11 cases which will probably be reloaded in the near future.
Log
AG
I've got 5 Garand's. And 7 K31's. And a BYF 44 K98. And a M1917. And a M1903A3. And a few other things.
agfan2013
AG

Luger and Kar 43 my grandfather brought back from the war. Not mine, but my dad's, but hoping someday they might be passed down to me...that is my Aggie ring on the bolt handle of the rifle though if you look closely.

Have shot the Luger but not the K-43. Grandpa brought back several others but these are by far the coolest. We also have a Springfield 1903 in 30-06 that I need to get fixed up so it can be shot.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I've got a few guns I need to get photos of, but I was cleaning out my office and found this.

Bought it off of eBay a few years back. A Flight map from 1943 from what I can tell.
Now I need to figure out how to frame this 3'x4' map.

Please everyone else post your beautiful C&R stuff.
Everything is beautiful already ... damn pretty!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Log said:

I've got 5 Garand's. And 7 K31's. And a BYF 44 K98. And a M1917. And a M1903A3. And a few other things.

Pics or it didn't happen.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Those are awesome guns. I definitely want one of each of those. Do you have any pics of the roll marks on either?
BrazosDog02
AG
I'd post my M98 but it's got a new barrel and new stock and a scope and is rechambered in .30-06. But the swastikas are neat looking and the numbers match other than that.
FTAG 2000
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

I've got a few guns I need to get photos of, but I was cleaning out my office and found this.

Bought it off of eBay a few years back. A Flight map from 1943 from what I can tell.

That's cool. How did you find it? I know a dumb question but what made you think to search for that? I'd love to find some old maps like that for the house.
Muzzleblast

1886 Winchester in 38-56
Muzzleblast

M-1 Carbine. 1943 General Motors.
Bought it ages ago. $150 out the door.
A.G.S.
AG

And just for grins I looked up the SN to verify it was 1927, but according to what I found it was actually 1920.

Need to go back and let the family historians (old ladies with nothing better to do) know.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Nice! Is it a 30-30?
A.G.S.
AG
Yup. It's marked 30 W.C.F. though.

Only problems it has is the 100 yd rear sight leaf is missing half of it, and my grandad decided to add the sling swivel in the stock/feed tube. Other than that (and the 98 yr old patina) its perfect. None of that really bothers me though, cause I know its one of 2 guns I have that I would never sell.
A.G.S.
AG
This is the other one I'd never sell - Savage Model 22-410. First non-BB gun I had. Also given to me by the aforementioned grandad, and he said he forgot when he got it, but it was when he was a kid. Not sure of C&R status unfortunately, but I can't wait to pass it on to my son. Need to take it by Burdett's and have them fix the rear sight on it.

ETA: Any year that I can make enough time for dove hunting, this guy still fires the first shot of each season.

Here you may be able to see why I can't trace this guns history:
Aggie Infantry
AG

I had mine stolen about three years ago. Serial Number: 2058664

SquirrellyDan
AG
SunrayAg said:

I have a Sears and Roebuck bolt action .16 gauge that my grandfather acquired on a trade during the Great Depression.
I was recently given a 20 Gauge Sears and Roebuck bolt action. Interesting shotgun.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
AG 2000' said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

That's cool. How did you find it? I know a dumb question but what made you think to search for that? I'd love to find some old maps like that for the house.
I like old maps to begin with, so I browse around a lot. I started with some silk escape maps that I got online.
I believe this came out of an estate sale and sold on eBay. Looks like the crew spent a lot of time over the bottom right corner of the map. Seller said it was from a B26 bomber crew.

LoudestWHOOP!
AG
PrimeTime09 said:

SunrayAg said:

I was recently given a 20 Gauge Sears and Roebuck bolt action. Interesting shotgun.
That was the kind of shotgun I grew up with also in 20 gauge.
Log
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

AG 2000' said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

I like old maps to begin with, so I browse around a lot. I started with some silk escape maps that I got online.
I believe this came out of an estate sale and sold on eBay. Looks like the crew spent a lot of time over the bottom right corner of the map. Seller said it was from a B26 bomber crew.

My grandfather was on a B-26, and we have his complete set of silk escape maps from the ETO. All of them are still in the original folder/binder that they were issued in, except one, which even though it is in the binder, has obviously been crumpled up and stuffed somewhere on more than one occasion. I'm assuming it was in my grandfather's pocket while he was in the air.
BenderRodriguez
AG
goatchze
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

PrimeTime09 said:

SunrayAg said:

That was the kind of shotgun I grew up with also in 20 gauge.
We've got the 20 gauge as well. Interesting gun for sure.

My favorite gun of all time (and that I enjoy shooting the most) is from the same era. Both were my great grandfather's.

Winchester model 67. This isn't my photo, but is the same gun (finger grooves, chrome trigger/bolt, etc.)

It is an extremely accurate gun and has killed many a rabbit/squirrel since the days of the depression. Manufactured around 1934.

Not that valuable resale (~$200) but a great gun none the less.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I saw this today in a gun shop near me--one of a handful of these that I've ever seen in person, and easily in the best shape of the few I've seen. Soviet made SVT-40 chambered in 7.62x54R, used in WW2, North Korea, Vietnam, and still being used today. Gun shop was asking $1,899.

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Here's Hickock45's video on the SVT:

Ag_of_08
AG
If y'all don't follow "forgotten weapons" on YouTube, you're doing yourself a great disservice. He just did a 4 episode series on the Thompson, detailing development from 1921 to the m1a1, including disassembly and test firing the three major models..
agenjake
I'd like to verify thread rules. Is this strictly for weapons and military related items, or can old tools be included?
Apache
AG
Quote:

Is this strictly for weapons and military related items, or can old tools be included?
"Curio & Relic" can be pretty much anything that is old & unique.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.