Outdoors
Sponsored by

Asp Caterpillars

18,759 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CowtownAg06
Alte Schule
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Found about fifty of these things crawling on my tool shed. When I was in Navasota years ago I accidentally put my hand on one. Their venom is like hell fire. Treated shed with fire and smoke. It was the only way to be sure. https://citybugs.tamu.edu/factsheets/biting-stinging/others/ent-3010/
[url=https://ibb.co/ddK2Kp][/url]

zooguy96
AG
Get one of those lighter torches and burn them to hell.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
CS78
The white ones around CS love live oaks.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
The only person I know who was stung by one, describe a whole new level of pain.
A minute later my brother vaporized it with a 12 gauge.
ellebee
I bet they're in your house. Probably in your bed. Sweet dreams.
Apache
AG
I wonder where these things rank on the "insect pain scale".
Schmidt Pain Index iirc. To hear the OB tell it, these things make bullet ant bites feel like butterfly kisses.
dubi
AG
If you ever get stung, get in a cold bathtub full of water with 1 cup bleach.

Many years ago our 2 year old was under a tree that was full of them and got multiple stings. Our MD neighbor said to put him in the tub immediately with the bleach and it worked. The welts went down within minutes.
rab79
AG
had a raised scar on my wrist for over 10 years from one of these, worse than scorpions or any type of flying insect sting I have had.
V8Aggie
AG
So are the spines what sting you?
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

If you ever get stung, get in a cold bathtub full of water with 1 cup bleach.

Many years ago our 2 year old was under a tree that was full of them and got multiple stings. Our MD neighbor said to put him in the tub immediately with the bleach and it worked. The welts went down within minutes.

The venom from a puss moth is very acidic. Anything basic will neutralize the venom, which is why bleach works. That said, if it's confined to a sting or two, I wouldn't take the time to fill a tub of water. Just dilute some bleach in a plastic cup and pour on the sting. Baking soda is another basic remedy. Make a paste and apply.
BrazosDog02
AG
Jesus Christ. FIFTY?

Dude you need to take some pest control measures. I got hit by one of these on my chicken coop a few years ago. I pressed against him with the back of my hand. **** those things. My son got hit by one when he was 5 or so.

Terrible sons of *****es.
TRADUCTOR
Pro Tip: If you braid the litte caterpillars hair you can see the stingers and avoid getting stung.
aggiedent
AG
The spines/hairs are like little hypodermic needles and the venom runs through the hollow center.
V8Aggie
AG
aggiedent said:

The spines/hairs are like little hypodermic needles and the venom runs through the hollow center.

Yeah that sounds like the devil...
Alte Schule
BrazosDog02 said:

Jesus Christ. FIFTY?

Dude you need to take some pest control measures. I got hit by one of these on my chicken coop a few years ago. I pressed against him with the back of my hand. **** those things. My son got hit by one when he was 5 or so.

What brought them to my attention was my security camera over the door. When it went off this morning I brought the camera up on my android phone and it looked like a finger shaking the camera a little. I thought someone was f*****g with it and went out prepared to confront a problem. I saw the first two and got my home brew insect killer spray and went to work. I then started looking around and saw a couple of dozen crawlin' on the edge of the roof and on the garbage cans. I went out right after it rained this afternoon and found another twenty or so on the roof and above the door. The pale colored ones look like pinkie fingers crawlin' around.
aggiepublius
AG
Been stung by several over the years as a kid and hate them. Didn't know they could cause scars though.
ursusguy
AG
When I was working in the Keys, had one apparently drop in an open window of our truck while doing a deer survey. I discovered it when I accidentally smashed it with my forearm on the door armrest. It stung pretty bad, but not off the charts. But I literally started having severe muscle pain in my right shoulder and chest muscles. Scared the crap out of me. My coworker headed to the local clinic as my breathing got more difficult. As he pulled into the parking lot at the ER, the pain just went away. Scary and painful as hell.
swampstander
AG
As a kid in Colorado we would get them on sticks and chase each other with them.

The ones we had were green and spiny.
Knucklesammich
Fell on one playing football in the front yard and got stung in the shoulder...painful as hell.

That said we may have picked them up with sticks and flung them at each other. Not because we were tough but because we were stupid.
Ag In Ok
AG
Three scars on my arms from these guys. They are awful, the pain was manageable but the nausea is was what pushed me to total hate. Things would stop spinning.
TresPuertas
AG
Worst pain I've ever experienced. These stings are absolute hell. Kill them all with fire. And when you're done doing that, cleanse the area with a flamethrower
BrazosDog02
AG
Alte Schule said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Jesus Christ. FIFTY?

What brought them to my attention was my security camera over the door. When it went off this morning I brought the camera up on my android phone and it looked like a finger shaking the camera a little. I thought someone was f*****g with it and went out prepared to confront a problem. I saw the first two and got my home brew insect killer spray and went to work. I then started looking around and saw a couple of dozen crawlin' on the edge of the roof and on the garbage cans. I went out right after it rained this afternoon and found another twenty or so on the roof and above the door. The pale colored ones look like pinkie fingers crawlin' around.
MOTHER OF GOD.

I'm only KIND OF kidding when I say that sounds like a health hazard and insurance liability. LOL.

F--- those things. Did I make that clear? F---. THOSE. THINGS.

I wonder if DEMON WP would kill them if mixed 2:1? If so, I'd wait until everything was dry and soak everything down for some residual kills. I don't think it works on them though.
CowtownAg06
AG
I've never had the displeasure but my MIL did a few years ago and said she was trying to find the scorpion or snake that got her before seeing the asp.

I've also heard that getting the hairs off you makes a difference, so put some duct tape over the sting and pull before the bleach treatment.
Apache
AG
Quote:

The go-to person for entomological pain is Dr. Justin Schmidt, best known as the author of the Schmidt Pain Index; a ranking system calculated from the agony caused by a wide variety of wasps and bees stinging him during his research. While Schmidt hasn't systematically studied caterpillars, he did say the pain of a caterpillar sting lasted longer than the pain of most wasp or bee stings.
Answered by own question... Schmidt hasn't done a study on them.

Wired article on stinging caterpillars

I am now irritated that the asp isn't ranked. It has to be up there with the Bullet Ant and Tarantula Hawk as a 4 on the pain scale.

Per Wikipedia, Pain level 3:
Quote:

Most insects that are characterized as having a pain level of 3 are wasps, including the red paper wasp, the metricus paper wasp, and the velvet ant (which is actually a wasp, not an ant).
I've been hit by red wasps & while painful, they don't sound near as bad as an asp. I'm sure some of y'all have been hit by a velvet ant (cow killer) and an asp. How did they compare? I may make it my personal mission to get the asp measured by the doctor so the little b*&tard can get the bad recognition it deserves.
Shoefly!
AG
Kill all those bastages! Point them out to anyone that will look. Those worms are painful! Red Wasp & Bee stings are a tickle compared to Asp.
moore42
AG
Stung twice as a kid. I remember it being the most painful thing i Had ever experienced. It didn't just affect the sting area, it radiated up the extremity into the body, all throbbing in pain.
IIIHorn
I've never been stung by an asp caterpillar but, "The Extractor" has worked well in my experience.

Serious Lee

i revert to a child when i see these and avoid them at all costs. for all i know they dont even sting, i never had the balls to touch one and prove my parents wrong.
45-70Ag
AG
I've never seen one of these in person that i know of.

I'll just add that to the list of **** that lives in Texas that would suck to come into contact with like scorpions, kissing bugs and red wasps/bumble bees
4stringAg
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

i revert to a child when i see these and avoid them at all costs. for all i know they dont even sting, i never had the balls to touch one and prove my parents wrong.

Gypsy moth caterpillar I believe. Not sure if painful but I think their hair can cause rashes.
rab79
AG
anyone ever get hit by a desert centipede? used to turn over rocks hunting them in the before teen years but never got bit
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
Love Gun
What are the all black ones that I see around all the time? I thought those were Asps and have been avoiding them, but maybe they aren't
Woods Ag
AG
This comment killed me.

Thank you
CowtownAg06
AG
Love Gun said:

What are the all black ones that I see around all the time? I thought those were Asps and have been avoiding them, but maybe they aren't

+1

I've done the same. Now I'm wondering.
ellebee
The big ones with the orange stripes? Those are harmless. We used to play with those.

https://hubpages.com/education/black-fuzzy-caterpillar
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.