Outdoors
Sponsored by

Found this map of Texas cave distribution on Reddit

4,270 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Fife
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Can anyone tel me where the caves in the valley are? I grew up there and never heard a damn thing about them.
GarryowenAg
AG
Gillespie only has 15 caves? I call bs. Who made this map?

Edit: apparently a legitimate agency made this map. I'll shut up and listen.

Edit #2 for poor spelling.
ursusguy
AG
Near Las Cuevas.
rather be fishing
AG
I believe the actual cave maps are pretty guarded. I've seen some from geologists I've worked with that I've never been able to find through standard googling.
labmansid
Don't end up like these guys!

Swarely
SpiDer09 said:

Gillespie only has 15 caves? I call bs. Who made this map?

Edit: apparently a legitamet agency made this map. I'll shut up and listen.
Burnsey
AG
Apparently Britney Spears lives in Dallas. Huh. Go figure.
Drillbit4
AG
I had no clue so many caves were Coryell and Williamson county. Thanks for sharing.
GarryowenAg
AG
Fak. Thanks. I blame the booze.
RGV AG
AG
ursusguy said:

Near Las Cuevas.
GinMan
AG
ursusguy said:

Near Las Cuevas.

The smaller caves are at Cuevitas....
putu
AG
There were 2 small caves behind my house in Gtown growing up along the middle fork of the San Gabriel. We would spend all summer down there. Now its all residential.
TexasAggie_02
AG
cave definition
https://www.texasspeleologicalsurvey.org/deeplong/statistics.php

Quote:

A humanly passable subsurface cavity at least 5 meters in traverse length, where no dimension of the entrance exceeds the length.
MGS
I wonder if Bexar/Travis/Williamson counties are overrepresented here due to the fact that they have a much higher population, and caves are just more likely to be discovered there compared to the more rural counties in the hill country.
CharlieBrown17
AG
No idea if they're counted as one or what, but the inner space system alone in Wilco is way bigger than people think.
CharlieBrown17
AG
The fault line that I-35 runs along also probably helps.
txags92
AG
You will find most of the caves in Central Texas in the Glen Rose limestone alone the Balcones escarpment where waterways pass over the faults and karst openings. It just so happens we built 2 major cities along there on major waterways that have large populations moving out into the hills (and across the escarpment). There are probably plenty of caves in between, but we just haven't built enough houses to find them all...yet.
tamc93
AG
MGS said:

I wonder if Bexar/Travis/Williamson counties are overrepresented here due to the fact that they have a much higher population, and caves are just more likely to be discovered there compared to the more rural counties in the hill country.
Probably in this case discovered = reported...plenty of rules. Plenty of other surrounding counties along the fault probably has them, but they are overgrown, family pride, etc.
Kamala and Ann Richards have something in common...both wh..
FJB 2.0 (KH)
The Fife
Basically, this. A good friend growing up in the middle of Hays County had a cave entrance in their back yard (over 1ac so it was back a bit). A bunch of boulders were dragged over on top of it to block it off. Who knows if the current owners know about it, but all it would take is a tractor and some means of tying on the rocks that wouldn't slip off and get someone killed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.