Outdoors
Sponsored by

Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF)

1,848 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LEJ
LEJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

I think my issue is there's no reason to sell the land to relieve the tax payer burden. It's entirely possible to lease yet keep money coming in on the property and still provide access to the public. I think many of us Texans can't truly see the benefit of public land unless we experience it ourselves. My view was very different before I started hunting up there on a yearly basis. Now I'm extremely envious and wish the state of Texas wasn't as short sighted on public space.
Here, here.
stdeb11
AG
Which is why everyone who supports public lands is against the idea of state transfer. It will just result in the the same as your example with the XIT.

Also, anyone here ever hunted the XIT? Or stepped foot on it that wasn't part of a tour? Took your dog for a walk on the place maybe? Well for a $40 OTC archery elk tag I hunted 100's of thousands of acres. Also took my dog for a hike for a hike this morning....i moved up from TX 3.5 years ago. While it pains me to not be with my family, I don't think I'm ever leaving CO. The outdoor recreation on OUR public lands is the #1 reason.
LEJ
I'll add this since we're whipping up the crowd. Randy Newberg is, IMO, THE best advocate for public lands out there today. Having said that, I think Steve Rinella may one day be given most of the credit for his ingenuity and foresight in converting Joe Rogan into a hardcore (bow) hunter and public lands junkie.
LEJ
Don't know exact details and not really related to LWCF, as far as I know, but there's a chance that Black Gap WMA will gain an additional 16,000 acres which will be open for hunting and fishing.

Conservation, wise use... public. Boom!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.