Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best Places to Wade Fish Near Houston/Galveston

7,838 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
TASAG18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just graduated from A&M and will be moving to Houston soon (medical center area). Anyone have any recommendations on wade fishing in the Houston/Galveston area? I won't have room to store my kayak so looking for easy places to reach by car and wade out from. I'm from the mid-coast area so not too familiar with fishing in this area. Any recommendations are appreciated. Gig em.
Sublette County
AG
I'm not a wade fisher, but a lot of people wade out from the bay side of Galveston Island State Park, specifically in Dana Cove.

This time of year the surf is probably a good bet when it lays flat. Tons of access points along Galveston Island.

San Luis Pass can be really good, but BE CAREFUL. The tides are insane out there and can rip you away when you're only thigh deep. Have some sort of PFD on if you do this.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Seawolf Park and the Texas City Dike
pfo
AG
A pool. Beer/booze and wads of cash are the best baits.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Troutslime said:

Yeah but he specifically asked about wade fishing.
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
Salt of the water
AG
What kind of car? 4x4 or AWD will open up more off the beaten places that are lower pressure than pavement only access.

Ray Crawford has a book - Wadeyand kayak fishing the Texas coast. It would be very beneficial if you can find a copy.

Google Earth is also handy for scoping out fishing spots.
txags92
AG
HumbleAg said:

Troutslime said:

I used to wade fish the flats behind sea wolf park all the time when I was in high school or home from college for the summer. Fishing the surf when it lays down would be my first choice, but the flats behind pelican island are a decent option when the wind is up.
longeryak
Get on TKF and buy a used kayak. Opens up so much more places.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
txags92 said:

HumbleAg said:

Troutslime said:

I used to wade fish the flats behind sea wolf park all the time when I was in high school or home from college for the summer. Fishing the surf when it lays down would be my first choice, but the flats behind pelican island are a decent option when the wind is up.
OK, good to know!
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
Aggieangler93
AG
Also, we used to wade to the left side of the Texas City Dike about 100 yards out on a sandbar that intersects the dike. We would cast back towards the shore, and usually catch trout or reds there, if conditions were right. That has been 25 years ago, but we did it back then. So wading the dike is possible.
TASAG18
AG
I've got a 4x4 truck so I could potentially reach some places off the beaten path
txags92
AG
With both Seawolf park and the Texas City Dike, you need to watch currents and your footing very carefully. When the tide is running hard, it isnt hard to find yourself in very deep water very quickly if you arent careful.
aggiepublius
AG
If you already have a kayak but don't have a place at home to store it, you might look to see if you if you can find a storage place near the coast. I think I saw a place in Kemah advertising kayak storage.

Or you might be able to find a small 5x5 self storage unit for pretty cheap to store it in.
Salt of the water
AG
TASAG18 said:

I've got a 4x4 truck so I could potentially reach some places off the beaten path

Surfside, Sargent, and Matagorda have some bay access that is 4x4 accessible. If you're not having any luck in Galveston you may want to try going South a little.
Big Country51
AG
Surf down in Freeport area when its flat. Backside of Seawolf Park can be good sometimes. Also South shoreline of west bay (Bay side of galveston) You can hammer some fish really year around when its on
longeryak
OP needs to grab that Tarpon 140 kayak. https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2961839
JSKolache
AG
longeryak said:

OP needs to grab that Tarpon 140 kayak. https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2961839
Did you read the OP??
ttha_aggie_09
AG
JSKolache said:

longeryak said:

Did you read the OP??

He's just following the OB playbook.

1.) ask for advice
2.) get some feedback
3.) get feedback that is Not an option or is out of the price range
4.) ....
5.) profit?

Honestly surprised someone hasn't told him to buy a boat yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.