Outdoors
Sponsored by

Question about Selling Elk Heads

1,914 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PFG
Texan1976
How long do you want to ignore this user?
An uncle moved away from Houston and gave me three massive elk heads he killed in Chama, New Mexico. I have not measured them. But they are pretty massive. I am posting below to give an idea. I want to sell them. What is the best way? Seems like Ebay would be difficult given shipping. I want to sell them locally. I assume some decorator or someone who owns a restaurant or retail space might buy. I live in Houston.

PFG
AG
Links are broken, can't see the pictures.

Antique stores, trinket stores, vintage furniture places, etc might buy them from you. That would be my first place to look

Intersted to see the photos. Any info on the hunts or history of the kills?
Texan1976
Weird, they show up for me. Will try again.

[url=https://ibb.co/b4UqXJ][/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/gL42ey][/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/d10azy][/url]
PFG
AG
Now they work.

Nice bulls.
agingcowboy
AG
Those are all pretty good bulls by my standards. I'd say 300-320". The second one might be a little bigger but I can't see his backs.

In any event I think you have your market identified. Antique stores, restaurants, retailers of outdoor equipment, etc. it's a tough item to sell though. My brother ran into a mount for sale at an antique shop. Apparently they were asking $1800 for it. He liked the idea of turning a profit and took some elk sheds and a cape he'd saved some years back and had a mount made. He shopped it around locally and online a bit but ultimately ended up selling it for a hair more than the cost of materials and taxidermy fees. Then again, if they cost you nothing you might be able to move them cheap.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Dudley's or the Chicken. But they probably don't have room on the walls.
Gig 'em! '90
Gunny456
AG
RAZ Exotic Animal Auction in Harper Texas has an auction once a month. Usually around the 16-18th of each month. They sell shoulder mounts etc. during the live animal sales. Usually get a good price and they go quickly if they are good scoring animals and look good. I have seen some 395 class Elk shoulder mounts go as high as $750 - $900. People attend the auction sometimes just to buy the mounts.
tmtxco
AG
I know people that have sold Texas Longhorn steer mounts. They would list them on Craigslist for DFW, Austin, Houston, and San Antonio. WIth something that big, most folks are pretty understanding of a local pickup requirement.
reproag
AG
List the price and maybe someone here will buy
Texan1976
I don't even know how to price. Whatever is fair.
TAMU77CLAY
AG
Unless the mounts are record book size, you will be lucky to get the cost of taxidermy from them on the secondary market. The person who had the experience of the actual kill pays more for his animal than a disinterested 3rd party who buys "wall art".
PFG
AG
OP- do you have a cell you can post then take down? I've got a friend interested in all 3.
PFG
AG
Bump for OP
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.