Outdoors
Sponsored by

New Deer Stand

7,218 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by schmellba99
KenAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I moved areas so I decided it was time for a new stand. Probably went overboard but I hunt with kids. I went with a modular deer stand to make it easier to set up.

Finally found a window system that I like.

Loft for the kids/storage.

Folds away when not in use.

So, turns out, discount paint was not wanted for a reason.

Told my wife to paint trees on it to make it not so terrible.

Great success!

Is it season yet?
TxLawDawg
AG
Looks awesome. The only potential issue I see is that your roof is slanted toward your porch, so you're going to get drenched getting in/out when it's raining.
mwm
You done good. Very good.
FIDO 96
AG
That's awesome.
La Fours
AG
Very cool. The bunks are a great idea. Nice work.
mpl35
AG
TxLawDawg said:

Looks awesome. The only potential issue I see is that your roof is slanted toward your porch, so you're going to get drenched getting in/out when it's raining.
considering where he's hunting I bet that's a trade he'd make for rain.
bam02
AG
Nice work! You'll enjoy that this season!
KenAg06
AG
Either that or over my gun. I had a critical design error with the door. I made it full height so the roof can't come down any further or it wouldn't open. Was going to cover the porch with the roof but didn't happen. I know for next time though.

Also, as mentioned above. Not a lot of rain to worry about
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Looks good! Where abouts is the stand? Looks Hill country-ish
KenAg06
AG
Rocksprings. About half way between rocksprings and carta valley.
BCStalk
Looks awesome. I'm hoping to start and finish mine tomorrow. Thinking about a 6x8 with a 4x8 porch. I don't think it's going to come out nearly as good as that one though.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Do you have a crane to help load it up?
BCStalk
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Do you have a crane to help load it up?

Forklift to load it and skid steer to unload. It's going to be heavy. Got a really good deal on several 8x10 pallets out of 4x6s. Just need to decide what I'm going to skin it with.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Sounds like you got a plan. Anything solid wood and bigger than 4x6 is a mofo to get up in the air... heavy equipment is damn near a must on some of the bigger blinds, especially yours. You'll definitely have the Taj Mahal come hunting season!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I saw the tree paint job and thought holy hell he hunts in a haunted forest
BlockerBLDG
AG
What did you use for windows?
fido00
AG
I want some more information about the window system. We have gone back and forth about whether the windows should slide side to side or open top to bottom. I like the windows to open top to bottom so the whole window is open.
KenAg06
AG
I used plexiglass that slides into tracks. I made tracks with a table saw. The top board has a through slot so the window slides in from the top. Gravity holds it down. You can slide it up or remove completely.

I went with these windows so I can open and close without any visible movement from the outside.
CrossTimbersW
AG
I built one a couple years ago and I bought glass hinged windows from deer view windows. I thought they were reasonably priced and I've been happy with them so far.

http://deerviewwindows.com/hinge-window-3/
BlockerBLDG
AG
Is it bug proof? did you seal all doors and windows and edges do keep bugs out?
KenAg06
AG
blockhead said:

Yep. Roof was foamed under the tin. It is almost air tight. I'll never have another stand that isn't. I don't like getting in my stand while it's dark and wonder what that buzzing sound could be.

Also, I'm looking for a cheap insulation solution. Having kids with me, I want to dampen the sound as much as I can and also keep in heat.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
blockhead said:

You can make almost any blind bug proof if you hang one of these in there

I have old blinds missing a window and the only bugs in there are dead and on the floor. I strongly recommended caulking everything as best you can though, but usually it's the windows or door that they get in.
AggieAces06
AG
OP- how do you open your windows/get them to stay open when you want to shoot?

I'm intrigued by your design.
KenAg06
AG
AggieAces06 said:

OP- how do you open your windows/get them to stay open when you want to shoot?

I'm intrigued by your design.

If you look at the picture with the door open, you can see the wood blocks I have above the windows. When I raise the windows, I pull the top towards me and put it on the block. This wedges the window and they stay there. I'll post a pic on Monday.
BlockerBLDG
AG
KenAg06 said:

blockhead said:

Yep. Roof was foamed under the tin. It is almost air tight. I'll never have another stand that isn't. I don't like getting in my stand while it's dark and wonder what that buzzing sound could be.

Also, I'm looking for a cheap insulation solution. Having kids with me, I want to dampen the sound as much as I can and also keep in heat.
Nice! Love the 8' x 8' design! Really interested to see up close pics of window designs!

Building a stand with a buddy early fall especially made for taking our young kids out to. We plan to foam and carpet the bottom and then carpet 3' up on the walls on all sides. We think this will be nice if kiddos get in the blind and want to take a nap on a sleeping bag or if something drops, it will hit soft carpet instead of a loud thud on wood.

There are some places that you can get a large patch of indoor/outdoor carpet for cheap.
AgLA06
AG
The mice and bugs thank you for the cozy home now.

I'll never put carpet in another stand. It just gets gross.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Nice blind!

The blinds when we bought our place had blue foam board for insulation. Great for a while but if the mice don't chew them up and make a mess, the heat will dry them out and they'll disintegrate.
Gig 'em! '90
BlockerBLDG
AG
AgLA06 said:

elevated blind sealed for insects... how are the mice getting in?
khkman22
AG
blockhead said:

AgLA06 said:

Do you not see the ladder?
KenAg06
AG
Haven't had a problem with carpet ever. I take my shoes off and what not inside of my stand if it's not too cold. Then again, I have seals on the door and windows.
AgLA06
AG
blockhead said:

AgLA06 said:

I've been in lots of blinds and never seen one yet that has successfully kept insects out over time.

Nature finds a way.

The last "sealed" blind I hunted in with carpet had two mice going at it like the species depended on it under the carpet. Nice and elevated and insulated and "sealed", yet there they were.
mpl35
AG
I've seen holes chewed through wood by mice. Took years but they got in. I've seen owls force their way into windows that were wired shut.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yep! Even the fiberglass blinds photodegrate and breakdown over time where the paint/coating is thin.

I'm shocked to see how many people are unaware a mouse can climb up a tower stand and find a way in. I have had some very "fun" run ins with mice in a chair or on the floor of a blind at 5:30am...
PooDoo
AG
mpl35 said:

I've seen holes chewed through wood by mice. Took years but they got in. I've seen owls force their way into windows that were wired shut.

Starting to sound like the illegal alien thread.
KenAg06
AG

When I raise the window, I have to pull the plexiglass out to go around this board. It wedges there and stays up. I should have given a little more room on the tracks as the wood as swelled a little.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.