Outdoors
Sponsored by

Another Boat Advice Thread..

4,468 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ought1ag
osmosis ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking to get an 18' to 20' center console. I want something that's pretty versatile when it comes to different types of water. Most of the use will be on a lake, however, definitely want to feel comfortable in the bays. Since the only boat I've had was a 1982 Bass Tracker (abused on Baffin Bay, Port O'Conner and Aransas Bay a few times), I'm no expert on the type of boat I'm looking for. I'm trying to decide, aluminum (G3, Xpress, Crestliner, Lowe) or fiberglass (Mako, Sportsman, Edgewater)....below 30k is preferable. Any advice is appreciated.
MouthBQ98
AG
You'll have a mind boggling amount of choices. Frankly I find a generic center console bay boat with enough seating options and front/rear deck space to be s versatile compromise. I have a very small one at 15.5 feet and I've had it everywhere from small creeks chasing white bass up to miles out in the Gulf of Mexico. To me, a reliable efficient outboard is the starting point. A good welded aluminum hull will be fine, as will a fiberglass one.
Tumble Weed
If you are wanting to run in Texas bays, you might want to look at Texas builders. Many have been building them for a long time and have tuned their boats for the draft issues that we have on the Texas Coast.

We are running a 22 Majek Xtreme ( they make a 20 ). The Majek RFL is in your price range as well if you want to run skinny.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dargel, Haynie, or Mowdy. I have noticed that many of the boats on Somerville are bay boats now instead of bass boats.
Post removed:
by user
osmosis ag
I've been on 2 guide boats that were Majek and was very impressed, but assumed they were out of my price range. Thanks for all of your suggestions. Hope to be on the water by the end of the summer.
trip98
AG
ranger rb190....18'6" aluminum center console....with 115 yammie....works great inshore and lakes....easy to tow....might even store in your garage with foldable tongue like we do. just enough room for family of 4. all bells and whistles you need....electronics...power pole....etc
osmosis ag
For whatever reason, I overlooked the Ranger boats. I think, like with the Majeks, I just assumed I couldn't afford them. However, at first glance it looks like the RB190 checks all the boxes. Trip98, do you own one? If so, how does the aluminum trailer hold up in salt water?
Preacher 98
I run a Dargel 190 that I highly recommend for your situation!
Post removed:
by user
buddybee
Two of the best days of my life were the day I bought a boat and the day I sold it. A lot cheaper to hire a guide and go or rent than buy.
Greeze06
AG
Blue Wave
tlh3842
AG
Never once took the boat out with friends or family for a recreational boat day? Don't enjoy just getting out on the water with no set agenda? Then yes, might as well hire a guide if you want to fish.
CS78
Cant imagine not owning a couple boats. The people that tend to not like boat ownership are the ones that only go out 2-3 times a year. Maintenance becomes more work than its worth. If you'll use it, there's nothing better.

I suggest a Blazer Bay 1900 with a Suzuki. You can get it new for under $30k and should get many years of use.

Nice sharp V front for splitting chop and heavy waves yet the hull drafts no more than the skinny boats at rest and idle. The wind blows in Texas and the last thing you want in a versatile boat is something that's going to rattle everyone's teeth. It wont run or plane as shallow as some but all that means is you may have to idle a couple hundred yards to deeper water. Worth the trade for the smooth ride in my opinion.

Personally, I think the suzukis are better motors than Yamaha and cost less. Seems like everyone I know with a Yamaha has had to replace a lower unit.
flyingaggie12
AG
Where are you located Osmosis?
saltydog13
AG
Would a Majek Texas Slam fit what OP is looking for?
jfbdvm
jfbdvm
AG
I have a friend that has a 19 Kenner.
RCR06
AG
I look at boats all the time online. One day I will buy one, but my work schedule just isn't very conducive to using a boat like it should be used. Something I have noticed is there seems to be a big jump in price from 18' to 20'. I know this and still want a 20' fiberglass center console, based on past experiences on other boats. I like the space of a 20' when three people are fishing.
osmosis ag
Quote:

Would a Majek Texas Slam fit what OP is looking for?
Without a doubt. However, even used it appears to be a bit out of my price range.
osmosis ag
Quote:

Where are you located Osmosis?
Temple
ought1ag
AG
If you go Xpress, I would recommend not getting the steps in the back. We have that on our boat and it doesn't back up for crap. Other than that, its been a nice boat for us.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.