Outdoors
Sponsored by

416 Fire in Durango

25,291 Views | 215 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CanyonAg77
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our neighbors in Durango are burning right now- prayers are appreciated.

416 Fire first reported Friday @ 10:00a burning +/- 100 acres. Saturday 10:00am it had already eclipsed 1500+ acres. 500+ homes evacuated. Fire is on the west side of the highway right now, spreading through the National Forrest. Structures are in danger as well, from what I hear.

We are doing everything we can to help- found some places for some evacuated horses and livestock. Trying to put together a relief station for the crews working this thing. Firefighter I talked to earlier today said that the fire was mostly in the underbrush- but they had some very strong winds push some incredibly hot runs into the canopy. Have some very distant satellite fires popping up already.

Smoke was low and thick over my house last night- and I'm a solid 60 miles from the fire. Blowing a little north of me today, but I can still see it.

*NOT MY PICTURES

cupofjoe04
AG

Over 1900 acres right now - last I heard was still 0% contained (but that was several hours ago).

Resources on this fire: 4 heavy tankers, 1 single engine air tanker, 1 very large air tanker, 4 helos, 14 engines, 7 fire crews, 4 hotshot crews, and 1 water tender.
cupofjoe04
AG
*duplicate post* sorry
Rick Dalton
AG
Hate this. I love this area.
LRHF
AG
Been following on Facebook, have many friends in the area. Going to be a rough summer for fires.
OldArmy71
AG
Terrible!
reddog90
AG
T&Ps
ursusguy
AG
Good luck
bmc13
bkag9824
AG
Sucks to hear.

Family is back in Houston for the month of June. Have 3 open bedrooms in Rangely if y'all are in need. Let me know if there's a way to donate (volunteer or $/food/whatever). I'm locked in to work during the week, but have the next few weekends as free if help is needed.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Record drought, not just the recreational areas. Agricultural production is in extreme peril. Worst in who knows how many years

Worst snow cover in 50 years?
AG
Gonna be an expensive year no matter how you slice it.
cupofjoe04
AG
Thanks amigo. Will keep you informed if there is a need. Appreciate you
cupofjoe04
AG
The link is a lapse of the 416 Fire. Awesome cinemotraphy. You can watch it jump and spread.

Sorry, I'm not sure how to embed it.

https://www.facebook.com/FourCornersDigitalImagery/videos/181944839132765/
cupofjoe04
AG
Final word tonight is they were able to get 10% containment on the southern heel of the fire, which should prevent it from dropping back down towards Durango. With the terrain up there, it is going to be just about impossible to fight the expanding northern edge, except by air. They were able to keep it from jumping the highway today, though several spot fires did try, crews were able to put them out. But there are still many homes north of the fire- local crews are working round the clock to prevent any hot spots in residential areas.

A type 2 team should take over tomorrow, which is a step up from the type 3 team that has been on it thus far. That should help, as they have access to more assets, I believe. Hopefully the winds stay down, and we may even get some rain tomorrow. We desperately need both to happen.
MouthBQ98
AG
That sucks! I spent my vacation there last year, hiking right in that area.
cupofjoe04
AG
Hearing the fire is at 2,250 acres this am, 10% containment.

It is raining here in Pagosa (praise God), but only about 50% chance in Durango. Officials expect it to continue to grow. 800 homes have been evacuated, as the fire spreads north towards structures. Praying they can keep it on one side of the highway today, as winds are expected to increase a little.
CanyonAg77
AG
Any danger to Pagosa Springs (Pagosa Lakes area)? Have elderly relatives there.
longeryak
CanyonAg77 said:

The fire is 60 miles west of Pagosa. 550 is the 'Million Dollar Hiway' from Durango to Silverton.
CanyonAg77
AG
I know the area, I was just wondering if it was headed toward Pagosa, or if there were health issues form smoke. My inlaws are at 7800 feet, and already have breathing issues.
longeryak
They are working hard at keeping it from jumping 550 to stop any spread to the east.
oldarmy76
That looks like the area around the hermosa cliffs
cupofjoe04
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

No danger in Pagosa. The only smoke we really saw in town was Friday afternoon, because of the winds. The smoke was WAY above town as well, no breathing issues.

It is POURING rain today in Pagosa, all morning. Thank God for that!
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks. Glad to hear y'all are doing well
cupofjoe04
AG
This image puts the fire in a little more perspective. You can see the lights of Durango in the foreground.

Fire continues to spread northward. Crews are doing everything they can to keep the fire from going south (towards Durango) or jumping the highway eastward. The Hermosa area to the north continues to be increasingly threatened, with more evacuations ordered. All the fire crews are doing an increadible job- but they are battling extremely difficult conditions and terrain.

After holding steady at 2,900 over the weekend, the fire jumped 1K acres yesterday & last night, and now consumes over 4,000 acres. I am hearing officials expect it to continue to grow as we settle into hot weather with low humidity and increasing winds.

Oddly enough, I saw a map today that said the Colorado Trail will remain open, despite being on the literal border of the burn area. I also saw an advertisement from Purgatory ski resort, selling lift tickets to people wanting to get a view of the fire. Gotta cash in, I guess, before your place goes up in smoke...

We are still praying for protection for the Hermosa area. All emergency crews are well taken care of at the moment, and we are putting a lot of resources into helping those guys as best we can.

Had a small fire break out on Ute Indian land south of Pagosa. Immediately sent a couple engines, an aircraft, and about 100 guys. They got it contained pretty quickly.

ursusguy
AG
They ever address the fire concerns around your neighborhood?
cupofjoe04
AG
We got the owners to come out and clean up the empty lot across the street from me, and we all pitched in and cleared a lot of ground and ladder fuel from the green belt. But the BLM land (the canyon beside our houses) remains untouched. If something gets in there, we are all toast I'm afraid.

Doing my best to maintain defensible space on my lot. Any advice appreciated
ursusguy
AG
Good to hear. One thing I've been happy to see is the maintained defensible space and fire resistant roofs have really minimized damages.

Yeah, that canyon really bugged me.
cupofjoe04
AG
For those keeping up on this fire- it is getting worse

The fire has grown another 1,000 acres today, and continues to bear down on the Hermosa area. 2am thermal scan showed the fire at 5,100 acres and still only 10% contained. One official told me today that they think the fire will reach homes and structures within 24 hours. They are doing everything they can to protect homes- back burns, fire lines, sprinklers. Wind picked up today, and it became increasingly difficult to influence the northward growth of the fire.

Please be praying, as this is about to get very serious. Around 1,200 people are currently evacuated, with more likely. We are doing everything we can to help. Not a lot can be done right now
cupofjoe04
AG
416 Fire progressing toward Hermosa. You can see the change in just a matter of hours. I took these pics about 8 hours apart- one this am and one this evening. From across the highway looking towards Hermosa. My friend's home is below the base of those cliffs.

And the view from Pagosa tonight- 60 miles from the fire, you can see it billowing.

k_beaman
AG
I sure hope the Colorado Trail remains open...I have been planning a thru-hike of it for months! I should be passing through that area early-August.
cupofjoe04
AG
k_beaman said:

I sure hope the Colorado Trail remains open...I have been planning a thru-hike of it for months! I should be passing through that area early-August.

I sure hope it's out by then...

I saw something last week that said they were doing their best to keep it open. Fire is sticking closer to the highway, but running right along the trail on the lower end. That end has the containment though. You should be good by then I would think. Just be SUPER careful, and pay close attention to the fire restrictions. We are all on Stage 2 right now (no open fires of any kind, only cooking stove), but there may very well be widespread Stage 3 (closures) by the end of summer. That would significantly impact your trip.

I have 2 groups of friends who canceled their hike-throughs this month. Not safe right now
CavitationAG
AG
Appreciate the local updates! My parents' place is up in Hermosa and watching the coverage last night was the first time I really had doubt that the house would make it through this. I'm so used to spotting the house driving up 550 so the different angles of pics/tv coverage are making it tough to figure out just how close the fire is to it.
cupofjoe04
AG
I'll be up there again either tomorrow or Monday, depending on when the crews need more relief. If you let me know where their house is, I will try and see if I can tell if the area is safe and maybe grab a pic. Wouldn't be too hard if you can see their place from the highway. All that depending upon access and weather, of course.
CavitationAG
AG
Thanks for the offer! PM sent

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.