Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pitbull Thread on the Pol board made me wonder about this..

8,357 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fisted Lamb
Post removed:
by user
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Very good.
Bayside Tiger Ag
I don't mind mixed pits; actually very good dogs from the ones I've seen. There's something about full-blooded Pitbulls where genes dictate aggressive and unpredictable behavior. I don't trust full-blooded pits.
SteveBott
AG
Not pits but I will never forget this video. I will assume mastiffs at the end. Beasts whatever they are

Tx-Ag2010
AG
Dogo Argentino is what you want if you are looking for hog dogs.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
SteveBott said:

YNot pits but I will never forget this video. I will assume mastiffs at the end. Beasts whatever they are

Those look a lot like Dogo Argentino's. I was too slow in my earlier post.
SteveBott
AG
The first three or the second two?

Thanks
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Second two.
SteveBott
AG
Thought so. Again those were beasts. They just went in and said game over.

Seen a bunch pits do well. But you need a human to end it.
RGV AG
AG
Cane Corso
Post removed:
by user
Tx-Ag2010
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Dogo Argentino's look like Pits..

I'm guessing Argentine raised Staffordshires.. or bloodlines based off it. Nothing different really.

Prove me wrong.

They look like pitbulls insofar as a 300 pound human looks like a 150 pound human...

Dogo's are much closer in size to mastiffs.

lexofer
AG
I've been hog hunting with two different groups of dogs. First group had a few hounds to track, black mouth curs to run the hogs down and some pits to hold the hogs until we got there to stick them with knives.

The second group I went with was almost all pits. They did all right but the mixed group seemed to be more effective at finding hogs in my limited experience.
Post removed:
by user
drummer0415
AG
Hog hunting is about the only legitimate use of/reason to own pitbulls IMO. Not a fan of them as a breed except for strictly utilitarian purposes such as this.
45-70Ag
AG
I haven't been around very many but the few I've been around i didn't trust and wouldn't trust with my kids or someone else's kids around.

People drop dogs off out here where we live and most just run off eventually. Someone dropped a pit off out here and it was aggressive. Neighbor and i got together and killed it. I don't much care for shooting dogs but we didn't trust that dog running around with our kids out.
ursusguy
AG
Dogos had bull terrier injected into the mix a couple times, but they are a hodgepodge of breeds to get the result. The base was the Cordoba fighting dog, which is know an extinct breed.

I like hog doggers that respect property boundaries (I realize this is tough with dogs). However, hog doggers that intentionally trespass and don't care make my life miserable. I oversee a fairly large trapping operation, with the goal of taking out entire sounders at one time. On numerous occasions, the night we plan to drop the doors, we suddenly have pits/hounds/cur dogs pop up on camera. My trappers now have instructions to drop the doors on any dogs in the trap and call law enforcement. Those dogs set us back an average of 10 nights. They may get a few, but for the time being it is more of a forced dispersal......that being said, I do like dogs when you have trapped out an area and you have some stragglers that are trap shy.

Several hog doggers I know have gone out of their way to distance themselves from being known as hog doggers (my trappers won a lot of tournaments, and my uncle has made the cover of the regional hog dogging magazine several times). Check out any of the FB hog dogger pages and you will figure out why (the moderators usually try to clean them up, but catch them about 3 PM and it looks like Meth -R-Us and assorted baiting dogs).
Allen76
AG
Ursus,
You ever see a hog dogger with a jumping mule? We had one a few years back. The guy was a known hog hunter with a dog pack. He had a mule trained to jump fences (not unusual) that carried his gear. The game wardens knew about him. I don't know if they ever caught him in the act.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

Dogo Argentino is what you want if you are looking for hog dogs.
And a home equity loan is what you want if you are looking to buy one.
ursusguy
AG
I am not familiar with that guy.

One of the funnier hog packs I have seen is a guy that runs Patterdale terriers. Cute but tenacious little guys.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.