Outdoors
Sponsored by

The Bream are in

2,991 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ursusguy
Robs ducks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Took Monday off to get in on the action on Conroe--My dad has 15 lbs of bream filets in the last 3 weeks.

Using a flyrod and a black trout magnet--almost outfished him using crickets. After the wind picked up, switched to crickets. Caught 33 about this size and 4 over 10 inches. I weighted one 10 incher and it went 15 oz. Lots of fun and great fight on ultrlight or flyrod. could some one post pics please?

https://pix.sfly.com/OiXVXh

https://pix.sfly.com/cwmG6m

last year's hog https://pix.sfly.com/989ohQ

My dad goes once a week after they show up in April--caught 60 over a lb last year.
normaleagle05
AG
Robs ducks said:

Took Monday off to get in on the action on Conroe--My dad has 15 lbs of bream filets in the last 3 weeks.

Using a flyrod and a black trout magnet--almost outfished him using crickets. After the wind picked up, switched to crickets. Caught 33 about this size and 4 over 10 inches. I weighted one 10 incher and it went 15 oz. Lots of fun and great fight on ultrlight or flyrod. could some one post pics please?

https://pix.sfly.com/OiXVXh

https://pix.sfly.com/cwmG6m

last year's hog https://pix.sfly.com/989ohQ

My dad goes once a week after they show up in April--caught 60 over a lb last year.

Awesome, I love a good perch jerk!

Not sure if the quote will post the pics? NOPE.
SteveBott
AG
Good eatin there.
DUman08
AG
I have been catching some toads in my cast net catching shad. They will be on beds in next week if so. Then it will be on. Glad to see someone else chase those on the lake.
Robs ducks
I love crappie,but think bream are better. A 10 inch 1 lb bream bream yield more meat than a 14 inch 1.2 lb crappie. 5.5 lbs of filets in the freezer.
Brush Country
Hoping to get me and my 5 yr old girl on some of these from the bank at lake CC this weekend. At least enough for a little fish fry.
Robs ducks
Brush--cheat and go to petco and get some crickets--say they are for your lizard. We out fish people with worms 4 to 1. She will appreciate it.

I just looked at Conroe records-- Fly rod record for bluegill is .71 lbs. The one in the pic weighed in at 14 oz or .875 lbs. Wish I would have known.
SteveBott
AG
Yea crickets are killer. If you want to get creative put a very light hook, no sinker or any wheight if possible. Use a Cain pole or least a long rod.

Flip the cricket out good enough but float your pitch to see if you can keep the cricket on top of the water.While on top you get a chance for a black bass hit and that will really impress the kids. Once it sinks then it's bream city.
Brush Country
Unfortunately I won't have time. The only performance around is a good 20 minutes drive from work in the opposite direction of home.

What's the next best thing, live worms? We usually catch them in our ranch ponds using the little gulp worms.
SteveBott
AG
Meal worms. If not keep them small. Say 1-2 inches.

Earthworms are a waste
Robs ducks
Some Walmarts carry mealy worms which work great. Regular worms can do the job, just use small pieces and small hooks. If you want to do a number on panfish, trout magnet-- under a cork cast and reel in slow. I have caught bream, crappie and bass on them this spring. They are balanced jigs and are great. They are online only and come in regular and minis. At our neighborhood lake, when I see kids fishing and not catching anything, will give them one and show them how to use them. One grandad thanked me greatly as he told his grandson they would stay till they caught something and had been there a few hours. Kids want to catch fish. The black, brown, maroon, green and white work well. A kit runs 5-9 depending on the size.

In mid March I caught a big bream , then a 14 inch crappie then a 3 lb bass on consecutive casts.
Robs ducks
To date I have caught bream, catfish, crappie, and bass on crickets. My dad caught an 8 lb gaspergoo on a cricket and a 17 lb buffalo on crickets on Summerville a few years back--both with a flyrod- wish I would have been there to watch.
FishingAggie
Don't laugh but corn works. Like sweet corn.

We have a huge party on lake lbj. Catch perch, catfish, carp, buffalo and have caught white bass, all on corn.

We're always fishing for buffalo but catch the other stuff. It's easy to use and you can throw a little out there to get them going.

No idea if it's the color, smell or what, but it works.

I'm trying to find a cottonseed or some kind of oil recipe for the buffalo. Someone told me about it but I can't find it.

Big red and cornflakes don't work. The drunks or dogs eat it too fast.
4stringAg
AG
Robs ducks said:

Some Walmarts carry mealy worms which work great. Regular worms can do the job, just use small pieces and small hooks. If you want to do a number on panfish, trout magnet-- under a cork cast and reel in slow. I have caught bream, crappie and bass on them this spring. They are balanced jigs and are great. They are online only and come in regular and minis. At our neighborhood lake, when I see kids fishing and not catching anything, will give them one and show them how to use them. One grandad thanked me greatly as he told his grandson they would stay till they caught something and had been there a few hours. Kids want to catch fish. The black, brown, maroon, green and white work well. A kit runs 5-9 depending on the size.

In mid March I caught a big bream , then a 14 inch crappie then a 3 lb bass on consecutive casts.
I bought some in-store last year at BassPro and I think they sell the smaller packs maybe in store at WalMart but could be wrong on that.

I was using them for local pond park commission winter stocked rainbow trout here in the Memphis area but have never tried them for bluegills but now will.

Nice pics in the OP. Love bluegill fishing...
4stringAg
AG
Robs ducks said:

I love crappie,but think bream are better. A 10 inch 1 lb bream bream yield more meat than a 14 inch 1.2 lb crappie. 5.5 lbs of filets in the freezer.
Agree, plus they put up a much better battle on light tackle. Crappie give up quick!
DayAg!
S
Went to LBJ one time and fished off of the dock they had there. Found out you could pull the mayflies out of the spider webs and the bream just sucked em in and kept going. I mean they didnt barely get to depth and they were on the hook.
Aggieangler93
AG
We used to buy 3 or 4 dozen crickets at the Big Top Bait shop on South Lamar just over the river, and hammer the bream around Deep Eddy, that were up to 2 pounders, when I was younger. We spent many a lazy Sunday after church with crickets dangling, though never for long.

Anytime we were perch jerking when the kids were growing up, I would slide in a grasshopper when no one was looking, and they would be so mad when I was outcatching their worms 5:1.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Robs ducks
the standard kit has lots of bright colors-- green and black or white work good on crappie. The black, brown, green with flecks and maroon are great on bream. Had the best luck with gold heads then silver. My dad hooked into a 5-6 lb catfish on a white one on a flyrod and was fun to watch for 5 minutes before it spit the hook. I've caught several decent bass up to 4 lbs on them as well.
EFE
SA-AG72
AG
FishingAggie said:

Don't laugh but corn works. Like sweet corn.

We have a huge party on lake lbj. Catch perch, catfish, carp, buffalo and have caught white bass, all on corn.

We're always fishing for buffalo but catch the other stuff. It's easy to use and you can throw a little out there to get them going.

No idea if it's the color, smell or what, but it works.

I'm trying to find a cottonseed or some kind of oil recipe for the buffalo. Someone told me about it but I can't find it.

Big red and cornflakes don't work. The drunks or dogs eat it too fast.

We use flour tortillas balled up on small hook.
FishingAggie
Hadn't thought of that. Will it stay on the hook very long?

Part of our problem is the perch eat other bait in a short time. We stopped the catfish. If you throw out some maize it swells up in their stomach and they don't eat for awhile. Doesn't help on the perch

The carp and buffalo are huge. We don't catch any under 15 pounds and our biggest was 50. Lol. They're a blast. When they come in it's a fish every five minutes. We bait them up with cottonseed cakes ( which are getting harder to find. No idea why)

Anyway. The corn is all we can get to outlast the perch. Any ideas are much appreciated. I derailed this thread. I'm sorry. It's a big family trip three times a summer and I'm responsible for the carp fishing.

I'm good in saltwater. Freshwater , not so much
ursusguy
AG
My great uncle was a fan of wasp larve. Spash nest with ice water, and knock the nest down. Comes complete with it's own carrying case. Only sucks when you discover the random hidden wasp. But fish will tag the hell out of them. Just occasionally royally sucks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.