Outdoors
Sponsored by

Review of Mossy Oak Nativ Nurseries Trees

15,081 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by INIGO MONTOYA
giddings_ag_06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So last October I planted a lot of various trees from Nativ Nursuries in my yard and pasture for a few reasons. It basically boiled down to they have a lot of choices and are cheap and me not being in a hurry.

I got a dozen white oaks and tree tubes in a deal they were running at the time in addition to some scarlet oaks, pin oaks, shuwillow oak hybrids and mastadon burr oaks (and some others to try). I think altogether I got around 30 trees, plus ~20 tubes and a few bags of the fertilizer (2 separate orders a few weeks apart). Ordering was easy and shipping was very fast. I think it took like 2 days to receive the trees. I only bought rapid mast seedlings (not a fan of bare root seedlings as I've had bad luck with them in the past).

All trees received were healthy, leafy, a foot or taller and bundled together with ice in plastic wrapping to keep them cool and wet.

Here's how they arrive:

Here's a scarlet oak just planted:

Tubes around the trees:

Basically I planted about 16 in the yard with about half in tubes and 10 in the pastures with tubes and 4 more without. I put the fertilizer around most trees as I planted them.

Now that they are starting to leaf out I can say that all but 2 trees are still alive. I watered them the first few weeks then let nature take care of it after that and they've all done well. Several have grown a good bit already and will hopefully grow out of the tubes or at least to the tops this year.

More to come shortly...
OE_Ag11
AG
How long do you leave the tubes on the trees? It doesn't stunt their growth at all?
giddings_ag_06
AG
The shuwillows have done excellent. Very leafy and noticeable growth already. The mastadon burr oaks are doing great as well and have massive leaves and some noticeable growth. The white oaks are very hardy and are the ones that have survived in the pasture without tubes, neglected with watering and having been picked on by the cows (pre-fences). A few were pulled out of the ground even, but I replanted them and 2 out of 3 are still looking good today. The few that are dead are totally my fault and should be at 100% success rate. The scarlets look great and are coming along just fine. I'm hoping they end up growing relatively quick. Overall though, everything looks good and should grow a good bit this year. I've got tubes around about half of each species of trees to see if it makes a difference or not, but so far it appears to be as the trees in tubes are noticeably bigger. Here's a few pictures of everything so far:

Overall I'm very happy with the service, quality of the products and trees and price. I'll definitely be buying more from them in the future. Yes, they are seedlings and small, but if you're wanting to buy in bulk and plant a bunch of trees on your place for hunting or whatever reason, this is a great option. I've found the tubes are worth it and I've put cayenne pepper around the tops of them to keep cows off, which has actually worked so far. Because the roots are small, planting these is super fast and easy. I'll keep updating this thread as the trees keep growing if I remember.
giddings_ag_06
AG
OE_Ag11 said:

How long do you leave the tubes on the trees? It doesn't stunt their growth at all?

I'll leave them on until this fall and then maybe put half of them on new seedlings somewhere else and just reuse them and leave the other half on where they are now. They may promote upward growth more and keep the branches shorter for the time being, but that's just a guess. As of now, that's how they seem to be growing though, which I'm fine with.
Ag for Life
AG
Good stuff! I've ordered from them as well with good success. I need to take some pictures of mine. I have 3 yr old white oak that finally popped out of the top of the tree tube this year. I grew it in a pot the first 2 years. The tubes really force vertical growth well and then I'll prune it back in the winter time. I have chinquapin oak, cherrybark oak, nuttall oak, black oak, white oak, and live oak from them. I grew my own bur oak, Monterrey oak, and red oak from acorns as well. I also have some pecan sprouting this year from pecans.
ought1ag
AG
I've been on the Mexican Plum and Red Mulberry kick lately.......planted in both central and south tx they are both doing well. My Red Mulberrys grew 15" out of the tube in one growing season. I'm hoping to make it down to the lake in a week or so and see how much she has grown this spring.

Have also tried the Shumard, Scarlet and Southern Red with decent success.

Since then I have just started collecting my own acorns and growing them in my back yard. I have about 30 that I will be planting this fall. Burr, Red and several different Live Oaks (some from the Frio River and some from a giant central texas oak that has probably been there for a 1000 years) There are other oaks on that property that are getting hit with the wilt but this one seems to be resistant.
allMondjoy
Ordered my first Mossy oak trees/tubes in December '17. Planted 36 trees in Feb. '18. 24 in tubes the rest I put in pots till I need them. Very pleased how easy planting is. Tubes make it easy to use herbicide around base to keep out the two worst enemies in early stages (weed.grass and deer/ cows/horses).
Cheap way of planting bulk trees that are very healthy. Go to "Mossy Oak Trees" and read about their planting system. Interesting!
Aggiedad
reveille23
I planted 24 of their trees (game keepers package) in late February. Have some wonderful growth on my white oaks and pin oaks. We had a ton of rain right around that time and I the others were starting to worry me, cuz I thought i may have drowned them, but this past weekend most seemed to have turned the corner and are starting to green up.
giddings_ag_06
AG
If you're ever able to catch a deal where they have a dozen or so for sale or find a pack that has trees you like, you can save quite a bit. And the more tubes you get, the more they mark them down.

The tubes are great for spraying around, however don't weedeat around them. I've shredded a little bit of two of them by getting too close.

They were out of pecans when I was ordering one time so I may get a dozen or so this year and a dozen burr oaks or something similar and try them on one of our places. I won't be able to baby sit them and water them much so we'll see how they do all on their own.

They are running an oak sale right now. $40 for a variety of a dozen oaks and free shipping. Great deal for anyone wanting to give it a try for cheap. Shipping is usually like $20 or so, so you'll save around 40% or so off the total order (just guessing without putting a pencil to it, but probably close).
AggieCowboy
AG
Is this still,a good planting time?
giddings_ag_06
AG
AggieCowboy said:

Is this still,a good planting time?

Not really, but you could make them work if you gave them attention. The ideal time is fall and winter, but I'd buy these and give them a shot.
ought1ag
AG
I agree with giddings. I have planted around this time and as long as you around to baby them you should have success. Dont be surprised if they lose their leaves if planting this late......guess its some sort of shock. I have given up on them before thinking they were dead only to find them next sprig alive and well.
TwoMarksHand
AG
How would I go about finding which trees would be native to my county? Native Texas trees brings up a whole laundry list trees. Or could I just plant any kind of Texas Native tree and be good to go?

I'm in Archer County for the record.
chris1515
AG
Wouldn't it be helpful to put some mulch around these so the tiny little trees aren't competing with the roots of 100's of grass plants for water?
ought1ag
AG
just click on the tree you are interested in and they have a zone chart as well as what zones are best for that tree

edit for link - https://www.nativnurseries.com/p-37-shumard-oak-early-drop-quercus-shumardii.aspx
giddings_ag_06
AG
Some I did and some I didn't and I haven't noticed a difference. The ones not in tubes in the pasture have been some of the best growers and they don't have tubes, were neglected on watering and have grass growing all around them.
SWCBonfire
AG
Don't buy pecan trees from these guys. If you want natives, just plant the pecans. Otherwise, order some from Womack's or other nursery (desirable is a good one for just about anywhere that is a reliable producer and relatively disease free if it gets enough air and sunlight.)
giddings_ag_06
AG
I'm lucky that we have a few pecan groves and I usually plant 20 or so in pots then transplant a year later. I'm mainly buying oaks and hybrids from them.
oklaunion
Any updates are welcome 06.
giddings_ag_06
AG
I can give a more lengthy update later, but so far the hybrid willow trees didn't survive the summer. Should have known they'd be a lot more work to maintain and keep alive. The oaks have done pretty well and I replaced the trees that died with pecans and more oaks.
angryocotillo
AG
I'm interested in planting some oaks and maybe a few persimmons where I bow hunt, but I don't see any feesable way to water them other than trucking a couple of buckets of water to them every few weeks. Any chance they would live with limited to no watering?
OnlyForNow
AG
Water bags.
ought1ag
AG
give these a look........I wish I could tell you they are worth it but I've only had them for about 3 weeks. Since then I have got more rain than I know what to do with. In my limited test run, I will give them a thumbs up. I usually can only get back to water my trees every 2-3 weeks and I went 2 weeks in between before all the rain and my trees were still alive and kicking. I was worried that critters would be digging all around the cool damp dirt but I topped each one with a bag of mulch so that seemed to do the trick. I can tell you that fire ants do love the moisture.

https://www.treediaper.com/
angryocotillo
AG
Any update?
allMondjoy
I have bought over 50 trees in last two years. Very unhappy with mortality. More than 70% and I am no rookie to planting and raising trees. Used the tubes and all recs.
I advise now to raise in a 3-5 gallon pot for a year or two then plant. They are very fragile in early stages
ought1ag
AG
I'm kinda in the same boat, but not quite as bad....probably 50/50.

I have had better luck sprouting my own acorns from "local" trees.

I will still use them for the Mexican Plum and Red Mulberry though......I've just had to baby them like crazy.
AggieCowboy
AG
Having good luck so far. I planted around 40 trees mostly oak varieties and a few fruits all with tubes. Just checked them and getting outstanding growth with only one looking dead. I have had to put some tubes back on due to wild life ( guessing hogs ) but that's all I've done so far. Going to water them this weekend for the first time. Guess I should mention I got the trees from Native Nursery.
ought1ag
AG
where are you located? Mine have been planted in Bosque(30) and McMullen (6) counties.

most of the Bosque oaks have died

75% of the oaks in McMullen died and they received more water and attention than the others combined.
AggieCowboy
AG
AggieCowboy
AG
ought1ag said:

where are you located? Mine have been planted in Bosque(30) and McMullen (6) counties.

most of the Bosque oaks have died

75% of the oaks in McMullen died and they received more water and attention than the others combined.
Located in extreme north east Callahan county
rather be fishing
AG
Since when did a camo company become a plant nursery?
Gardening Ag
rather be fishing said:

Since when did a camo company become a plant nursery?

I heard something once about mossy oak organizing Hunters to find certain Oaks that dropped acorns every year and I believe they started working those genetics to get really high torque producing trees.
angryocotillo
AG
Bump
giddings_ag_06
AG
I'll post some pictures of what I've still got alive tomorrow if I think about it.

I'll say, these take a loooong time to grow to a good size and because they are so small, you have to keep them watered well for several years to get their roots established deep enough. Planting a tree with a 4" root is hard to keep alive during Texas summers.

If you're trying to make a wooded patch for your grandkids, buy a bunch and go all in. Just know that like with any tree practically being grown from seed, it won't be to your head for a decadeā€¦
CS78
I've planted a bunch in the last few years and most of them have really struggled with our summers. When its hot, you almost have to water them daily. Some have survived so its not all a loss.

What seems to get me each summer is diverting attention away from watering in favor of other pre hunting season projects.

Does anyone know of a source for small/ cheap Monterey/ Mexican white oaks?

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.