Outdoors
Sponsored by

Red Fish

2,714 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by maverick12
Thomas Sowell, PhD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1) Feel like an idiot - At Kemah and asked the clerk if this was fresh caught or farm raised. He said fresh caught. My understanding is you can't sell fresh caught Red Fish from Texas waters. Bought 2 fish.

2) Does Red Snapper taste better?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
It's from Louisiana
Post removed:
by user
Ragoo
AG
At a restaurant in china they had a selection aquarium with redfish. It was neat to see.
BullSprig07
AG
I love redfish but not comparable to fresh gulf red snapper IMO. Not a better eating fish out there to me.

Now whether I want to support commercial fisherman in the gulf is a whole other can of worms though.
AquaAg1984
AG
DrHeadShrink said:

1) Feel like an idiot - At Kemah and asked the clerk if this was fresh caught or farm raised. He said fresh caught. My understanding is you can't sell fresh caught Red Fish from Texas waters. Bought 2 fish.

2) Does Red Snapper taste better?
Two states currently allow wild fishery harvest of wild red drum - MS and NC with NC accounting for the majority of wild harvested fish. There is currently some farm based production in TX as well as China and SE Asia.

Taste? IMO both red drum and red snapper are great on the table.
Salt of the water
AG
From TPWDs commercial fishing regs:

Quote:

*NOTICE: To be lawfully imported, sold or
purchased in Texas, bass of the genus
Micropterus, crappie, flathead catfish, red
drum, striped bass, white bass or a hybrid
of any of these fish must be farm raised
and fed a prepared feed containing 20% or
more of plant protein or grain by-products
as a primary food source.

Either the guy was lying to you about them being wild caught, or breaking the law... Either way, it seems shady.

Was it a fillet, half shell, or whole fish? They may also be trying to pass something else off as redfish (black drum most likely). It's pretty common for other snappers to be sold as red snapper.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Whole fish

It tasted great - did blackened
cheezag03
AG
A place in Seabrook had speckled trout once. Is somebody farm raising those?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I could be mistaken but it thought NC just made redfish a gamefish and don't allow commercial harvest. Or maybe there are folks trying to get it changed right now.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
This seems appropriate to put here: https://fishgame.com/2018/04/texas-game-wardens-bust-markets-restaurants-with-game-fish/
maverick12
AG
Quote:

This seems appropriate to put here: [url=https://fishgame.com/2018/04/texas-game-wardens-bust-markets-restaurants-with-game-fish/][/url]https://fishgame.com/2018/04/texas-game-wardens-bust-markets-restaurants-with-game-fish/

This is what I was going to post...it could have been either. Wish they would name the markets and restaurants they busted.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.