Outdoors
Sponsored by

lug wrenches are outdoors..

7,304 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by flashplayer
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OK..we've all suffered thru those disgusting insurance commercials which feature some pathetic metro whatevers stuck on the side of the road clueless about changing a tire or using a damn lug wrench while trumpeting the little boy standing next to his mommy bragging about having some service change her little boy's big bad tire......

This type of crap is being portrayed more and more by the pop culture as actually acceptable and normal...
NOW...a question for the august members of this fine community.....do ANY of you actually know or ( gawd forbid) HAVE a kid who is old enough to pick up a lug wrench that doesn't know how to change a damn tire or at least know what the proper tools are ?? Seriously ...do those spots reflect reality ? My frame of reference is limited WRT kids since I generally avoid them and don't involve myself with kids whenever possible ..
EskimoJoe
Our secretary had to talk one of my male coworkers over the phone how to change a tire on his work pickup. When he got to location, another coworker noticed the tire was on backwards.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I know plenty of females that supposedly don't know how to change a tire, but don't know any males like that. I'm not really buying that most of those females don't really know how. It's pretty pathetic to not know how to change a tire. It's not much more involved than filling up your gas tank.
45-70Ag
AG
I suppose i can laugh now but growing up in Chicago i wasn't exposed to a lot of stuff like this, even simple things like changing a tire. Hell my dad was a fighter pilot but was never into this stuff for some reason.

Got to a&m and my roommates educated me in ways that were beyond beneficial. Still grateful to them for all they did. And marrying into a family that ranches for a living opened my eyes even further.
MizooAg94
AG
My 11 and 13 year old daughters know how to change a tire (and jump a car for that matter)....But neither are strong enough to do anything but the lawn tractor.
Post removed:
by user
45-70Ag
AG
My son knows when the weed eater won't start to drop the spark plug in a cup of gas.
jtp01
AG
Sadly, yes that is a reality. In a previous career I managed facilities with delivery trucks. You would be surprised how many "drivers" would call me for a flat, running out of fuel.

I recall one time I sent a college grad on a quick delivery in a pickup. He ran it out of fuel then cranked until he ran the battery down. Calls me and since the ops mgr was out that day I run to go get him assuming a battery because he says "it just quit and now when I turn the key it won't make a sound".

Get there and sure enough, battery is dead. Grab my tools and pull the battery, run to parts house to get another. Install new battery and then turn the key to see the fuel tank was empty. Calmly walked to my pickup and grabbed a can of gasoline, poured it in and cranked the pickup. Closed the hood, got back into my pickup without a word to him and drove back to the shop.

Kid didn't have a job by the time he got back. That was the 3rd time in 6 weeks he ran a vehicle out of fuel. I told him to fill it up before he left.
Potcake
AG
You seem amped up on a beautiful Sunday morning.
agenjake
I taught a 34 year old man how to change a tire last year. I was shocked.

But to brag on my wife... I have never had to change a flat for her. Both times it happened, she called me after she changed it. I thanked her daddy after that.

Burdizzo
AG
Put a spare tire on a car, no problem.

I can also mount a tire on a steel implement wheel with a pair of tire irons, a bucket of soap, and hammer in about 2 minutes.
BrazosDog02
AG
I don't think things are as bad as they seem. First, this type of thing is now documented and publicized making it seem worse, and the fact that we just rarely need to change tires any more augments that lack of education.

I'm not going to lie, I do ALL of my own car repair, which is includes ALL maintenance and I have never in 30 years changed a tire on my vehicle. I've never had a blowout because I buy premium tires, maintain, inspect, and replace when they are supposed to be replaced.

In 1960 with bias ply junk it was more of a required skill.

It should be taught of course, I just think it's not as much of an epidemic as it seems. Kinda like cancer, gay people, and tide pods. There isnt more cancer, there arent more gay people are kids arent any dumber than you were....it's just that now its publicized, documented and broadcast.

My opinion.
JoeCephas1974
My wife can back a 23' boat down a steep ramp better than most men there. I love seeing the guys faces at the ramp when she gets behind the wheel when I get in the boat go from "Aw hell, a woman" to "Aw, hell, she's better than me."
Fair winds and a following sea.
docaggie
AG
These days I just about need to call the tire change service to figure out where the manufacturer hid the dang jack.

"What do you mean I have to uninstall the dashboard to find the jack?!"

It's like the last Dodge Durango I owned. Couldn't find the battery. Turns out it wasn't even in the engine compartment, but installed under the passenger seat.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bottlerocket
AG
I'm 37. I used to rotate my own tires on my bronco II (ugly ass car) in high school (PITA). I haven't had to change a tire since then until last year; me, wife and three kids landed at dfw, took the shuttle to the car, and found we had a completely flat tire. I had the spare on within 20 minutes. I'm pretty handy but my wife told me it was a real turn on for her watching me change the tire.
It may not be as bad as the OP thinks, but it's trending that way. Growing up, I learned all the standard maintenance at a young age out of necessity, the option to have it fixed by someone else wasn't available in rural East Tx. By 12, I was topping off all the fluids and greasing the tractor, then jumping the starter so I could put out hay. Working in farming country since graduating college, it's pitiful to see how many farm kids of the current generation can't perform the smallest of repairs or regular maintenance. I love pulling up to one of my friends barns though. He'll be in the field working, and his kids and their friends, ages 12-18, are in the barn doing major repairs or prepping the harvest equipment. I've seen them bring several tractors back from the dead, impressive stuff.

The vehicle supplied tire change tools suck though, I carry a bottle jack and breakover handle in my truck for that reason.
BCStalk
Let's see...can I change a tire? Yup. Was a mechanic for several years. Would I if I absolutely had to? Sure. Do I call road side assistance more times than I'm proud of? Probably. That's why I pay for it. People do need to know the basics at the least, but I can tell you that I'm not changing my own tire on 290 in Houston unless I'm ready to be roadkill.
AggieGunslinger
AG
My wife got a flat on her work car last year out in rural ETX, no big deal she was just going to change it herself. Except that a spare tire happens to be AN OPTION on new compact vehicles. She was stuck out in the boonies for 2 hours waiting on roadside service. She raised hell, the work fleet now has spares, and hers has a decent Jack and lug wrench thanks to a trip to harbor freight.
CactusThomas
AG
It's not an age thing. It's a money thing.
BCStalk
AggieGunslinger said:

My wife got a flat on her work car last year out in rural ETX, no big deal she was just going to change it herself. Except that a spare tire happens to be AN OPTION on new compact vehicles. She was stuck out in the boonies for 2 hours waiting on roadside service. She raised hell, the work fleet now has spares, and hers has a decent Jack and lug wrench thanks to a trip to harbor freight.

This annoys me. My wife's car came with some stupid little fix-a-flat kit in place of a spare tire. Has a place for a spare, but not a factory option. Had to purchase a spare tire kit from Ford. Guess they think fix-a-flat repairs sidewall damage or blowouts.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
CenterHillA said:

The vehicle supplied tire change tools suck though, I carry a bottle jack and breakover handle in my truck for that reason.

I agree. Although I can usually make the supplied jack work, I've learned (thanks to tire boys who can't properly set torque settings on impact wrenches) to carry a 1/2" drive breaker bar, a cheater pipe and a 6-point socket with me. I'm sure my wife would at least try to change a tire herself, but there's no way I could expect her to break loose some of the lug nuts these days.

Quote:

Working in farming country since graduating college, it's pitiful to see how many farm kids of the current generation can't perform the smallest of repairs or regular maintenance.

I hate hearing that, although I shouldn't be surprised. Back in the '90s I enrolled in a 2-year Millwright Mechanics nighttime program at TSTC in Waco to learn the 'proper' way to do things in a manufacturing plant I was running.

While there were a few guys there just killing time and unsure of the right end of the wrench to hold, it was always the farm kids who already knew what the hell was going on -- welding, pipefitting, engine rebuilding, rigging, routine mechanic stuff, you name it.

In most cases, the farm's loss was the petrochemical plants' gain, as they were leaving ag for good. I'm sure most of them made somebody a damn good hand.
The Original AG 76
AG
docaggie said:

These days I just about need to call the tire change service to figure out where the manufacturer hid the dang jack.

"What do you mean I have to uninstall the dashboard to find the jack?!"

It's like the last Dodge Durango I owned. Couldn't find the battery. Turns out it wasn't even in the engine compartment, but installed under the passenger seat.

THIS!!! I completely agree on this AND I agree with the " NO WAY" I'm gonna get out on the side of 290 at rush hour to change a tire...its suicidal ! BUT..the tire tool analogy was meant to signify the change ( for the worse) in todays youth. Playgrounds denuded of ANY form of real equipment less the lil darling might fall and hurt his wittle self...lack of ANY manly skills by so many...AND the slow DEATH of outdoors skills ESPECIALLY hunting and fishing. I was having lunch with a few of the TPW commish types and they did lament the downward trend among the young regarding hunting and fishing. We still have a strong , BUT slowly diminishing, hunting and fishing culture in Texas but nationwide it is on a sure but steady decline. Kids just aint into hunting and fishing like we were. BUT thats a derail for another thread.
Duncan Idaho
There is something to be said for the requirements to get a drivers license in places like Germany.

But I'll admit, ive called roadside assistance a couple of times.
1 time i was in a suit. Like the guy in the $3000 suit is going to change a tire. COME ON/GOB
Another time I just wanted the flashing lights, since it was the driver's side rear tire and I was on a two lane cury and hilly road with no shoulder in north East Oklahoma. Risk of getting hit was too high. I now carry flares.

I kind of get the op point, but then again, I once had a roommate after college that didn't know how to use a washing machine or a dishwasher.
CharlieBrown17
AG
The part of that commercial that annoys me the most is the way the kid says lug wrench.

Though I almost always call it a tire iron or four way depending on which it is.
cevans_40
AG
With today's cars and trucks, it takes about an hour just to locate the tire tools.
ShouldastayedataTm
Everyone of my kids can check/change their own oil, change/rotate their own tires, check/change all of the other fluids in their vehicles, drive standard transmission, change a serpentine belt, and all of them have the tools to do it on the side of the road if necessary in their vehicles at all times. The ability to do it was my requirement before they got their learner's permits. The latter was a requirement before they got their own cars/trucks. I have three young men and three young ladies, everyone of them has had to use their skills/tools at one point or another to help themselves or a friend. That is the way it should be done, so sayeth my dad who is the smartest man I know.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Exactly. Changing the tire is easy. Getting the spare, jack and lug wrench is a *****.
jtp01
AG
I'll also add that my 10 year old knows to check the oil in the lawn mower before he cranks it either push mower or riding mower. He also knows to check the air pressure in the tires and check the fuel too. He learned the fuel on his own the first time he had to walk back to the shop from the other end of the property (300 yards or so).

I think the more kids are around things like that and learn on their own the better.
txag2008
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

hers has a decent Jack and lug wrench thanks to a trip to harbor freight.

Doesn't compute
dodger02
AG
I will admit that jump starting a car battery always intimidates me. I have to pull the manual to make sure I get the order of connections right.

Then, I look like Nolan Hoffman as I get ready to make the first connection.
Arctic Ag
AG
I don't think it's a young people thing in general. I've run into just as many people in their 40's, 50's, and 60's that can perform basic tasks either. Maybe it's just the result of generations of morons breeding
Duncan Idaho
txag2008 said:

AggieGunslinger said:

hers has a decent Jack and lug wrench thanks to a trip to harbor freight.

Doesn't compute

Decent is the perfect word to describe most harbor freight tools (not to include consumables or things with a hardened edge)
AggieGunslinger
AG
Exactly, it worked great the day we tested it and it only needs to work one more time to get our money's worth.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I think it is more a product of the middle class growing and having enough disposalble income to pay people to fix things. Also, as far as cars go while there is a lot you can do yourself, 100k warranties and so much computer controlled stuff means the dealer covers more and there is less a novice DIYer can do.

And dumbasses, lots of dumbasses.
javajaws
AG
I worked with a guy who paid $250 to have his battery replaced...so, yeah. People not knowing anything is real.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.