Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake leggings

4,545 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by plarmigan
polksalet12345
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last pair I bought were rattlers but they're in bad shape. I have a project on arguably the snakiest property in east Texas coming up. Anyone have any other brands they like?
All your base
SweaterVest
AG
There was a guy that posted on here a couple of years ago who was making some pretty nice looking ones, but I can't remember the name of his company. If you're going to need them regularly I'd just go with a pair of Chippewa snake boots. They look better, are more comfortable, and will last a long time
polksalet12345
I need something taller than a boot to help fend off briars. I'm a surveyor/forester fwiw. And I've apparently bought the nastiest piece of land I've ever laid eyes on.
All your base
TxA&Mhunter
AG
I searched for some online for you but I doubt they have any in your size...

Tudster
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

I searched for some online for you but I doubt they have any in your size...

Hahaha! I saw this coming a mile away.
MouthBQ98
AG
Those $35 ray guards that Academy sells would work with some good boots. For a cheap solution better than nothing.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
A handle of bourbon and snake boots always work!
AGGIE WH08P
AG
They probably aren't rattlesnake proof, but for briars, these chaps have served me well when quail hunting.

https://www.filson.com/double-tin-chaps.html?sku=11014023-fco-000002104&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiYWD6JXe2QIVyrfACh1LLAu8EAQYAiABEgJWDvD_BwE
rather be fishing
AG
Chippewa boots are my favorite because they don't restrict your normal walking as on over the pants gaiter would. They are expensive, though. There are great options for a over pants version that will be much easier on the wallet.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Cavenders has 15% off boots right now. Save $36 or more.
cledus6150
AG
I'm a forester/wetland Scientist, I use the Chippewa boots and the double thick carhartt pants. Legs don't ever get cut up it's normally the upper body that suffer as I bull through Rubus and Smilax.
JR69
AG
Turtleskin chaps

https://kevinscatalog.com/turtleskin-total-chaps-regular

Google will give you several sources. They are expensive but not nearly as expensive as medical treatment for rattlesnake bites. I don't like to wear leggings or chaps when hunting, but certain places and times of the year I do. I haven't personally tested them against a rattlesnake bite, but one of my regular hunting buddies has. They work.

Turtleskins makes half-leg (below the knee) protection chaps, full leg protection chaps, and gaiters.

The Filson chaps are great and wear forever, but even their double-tin chaps are not snake proof.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
cledus6150 said:

I'm a forester/wetland Scientist, I use the Chippewa boots and the double thick cathartic pants. Legs don't ever get cut up it's normally the upper body that suffer as I bull through Rubus and Smilax.

Safe to assume 'cathartic' is supposed to be 'Carhartt'?
cledus6150
AG
You would be correct.
KenAg06
AG
Look at the snake chaps at Bucee's. They weren't all that expensive and worked great for cactus.
HDeathstar
turtleskins

Expensive but lightweight, flexible, and better than buying snakeboots that the kids will outgrow.
JR69
AG
The OP mentioned the snakiest plot of land in East Texas. My opinion is this - if you are worried about snakes, then get something that will protect against snake bite and Turtleskins are probably the best option. If you are only worried about briars and tangles and brush, there are lots of options that will do the trick, including some brush pants and heavy duty Carhart pants. Filson double tin chaps are probably the toughest.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
Bought these Dan's for a hunt in the RGV. I ended up not using them, but they seemed to be pretty solid. Made in America, FWIW.
polksalet12345
Thx for all the help guys!
All your base
agcrock2005
AG
I have the Chippewa boots. Not leggings but very comfortable and get the job done...as far as I know. Expensive though.
plarmigan
AG
Just an FYI I purchased some Chippewa snake boots at the Justin boot outlet in Downtown Ft Worth today for $100. They have an extra 30% off their already discounted price going on right now. Can't remember exactly but I think the sign said through Nov 16th. Hell of a deal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.