Outdoors
Sponsored by

June bugs

4,717 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SoTXAg09
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found my first one of the year tonight. I'm in Round Rock so central Texas. Been this way for years. They peak more like late April to mid May. But I grew up when they were a bug in June.

I had a Lab named Snowball who we adopted through the local rescue that would eat them like candy. I'd open up the garage and put the light on and let that dog loose. It was amazing how many she would eat. Did not need to feed her any food for a week.

Needless to say her stool was interesting.
SteveBott
AG
And yes I solved my grub problem.
ursusguy
AG
Enjoy the oppossums.
SteveBott
AG
Had a few as well. One tunneled a den in my neighbors yard and we met regularly. Big rain washed him out. Neighbor never knew it was there. I leave them be.

The skunk encounter was much more tense. I did not move a muscle.
ellebee
ursusguy said:

Enjoy the oppossums.

I love them.
B-1 83
AG
SteveBott said:

Had a few as well. One tunneled a den in my neighbors yard and we met regularly. Big rain washed him out. Neighbor never knew it was there. I leave them be.

They're a wonderful vector for typhus. My dentist had it a few years back, and the doc said 'possums are the main problem.
https://www.cdc.gov/typhus/murine/index.html
ellebee
B-1 83 said:

SteveBott said:

They're a wonderful vector for typhus. My dentist had it a few years back, and the doc said 'possums are the main problem.
https://www.cdc.gov/typhus/murine/index.html

I wanted to try to play with the baby one in my tree so I read up online first to see if they carried diseases and didn't see this.
ursusguy
AG
They can, but the main issue connecting humans is cats and rats.
ellebee
ursusguy said:

They can, but the main issue connecting humans is cats and rats.

So you're saying I can continue to try to make an opossum my pet?
jrbaggie
I was so poor growing up we did not have June bugs until August !
SteveBott
AG
Also saw my first yellow jacket flying this year. Spring is sprung
SanAntoneAg
AG
June bugs in the garage over the weekend and a couple of cranes flies out and about today.
cheapsk8
As a kid, we (Grandmother and Grandfather) Would take a thread and tie it around a June bugs leg and let us grandkids fly it around while holding the other end.
jgh85Ag
AG
User name checks out.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
Cromagnum
AG
ellebee
Cromagnum said:

Wrong. Cockroaches are the reason for this.
Apache
AG
Speaking of skunks, this is their mating season & they are definitely on the move.

At a jobsite yesterday, a male skunk came barreling around a corner at me. Luckily for me, he had already sprayed the equipment operator who had the nerve to pick up the pile of trash he was hiding in.
In case you're wondering, "zorillo" is how you say skunk in Spanish. In this case it was preceded by "Pinche".
rilloaggie
AG
Yep. Had one dive bomb me in a job site portajohn yesterday. Pissed EVERYWHERE trying to avoid getting stung on my dangly bits!
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
I once put on a bathing suit with a red wasp inside it. Now, I have no fears (except putting on a bathing suit with a red wasp inside it).
SteveBott
AG
Well Texas bugs are back. 3 June bugs, 2 grasshoppers, 1 in the house the wife wanted removed, and some flying bug that landed on my neck.

Next 7 months they are in business as usual. Misquotes and flys up next.
45-70Ag
AG
My wife is ready to call an air strike on our house over a few yellow jackets.

She buys wasp spray 10 cans at a time and expects me to hose down our zip code
BrazosDog02
AG
Our dog used to eat them like crazy too. I sw my first one of the year about a week ago here in waller county. Saw a couple more tonight but looks like we're gearing up. I like to leave the lights on at thw chicken coop late this time of year and let the birds have an evening snack.

Soon I'll have my local opossums ambling around my back porch eating them and we all sit at the window and watch them. Sometimes a coon comes up too.
SteveBott
AG
In 25 years if suburban living I've not seen a coon or a coyote but I'm sure they are around.

F-ck squirrels. Shoot them on site.
SteveBott
AG
I have not had a single pecan fall off my tree in 15 years. Granny had the same problem
Bottlerocket
AG
Milky spore is a very effective and long lasting treatment for June bug grubs. After one year, I noticed probably a 90% decrease
It was really nice on the coast yesterday so I made the mistake of leaving the pool lights on after dark. Walked outside around 830 to enjoy a cold one and there were approximately 100 June bugs taking a swim. Won't be leaving the lights on after dark again anytime soon.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
ursusguy said:

Enjoy the oppossums.

So opossums coming to eat June bugs coming to the lights at your house is like your version of a deer feeder, isn't it?
Potcake
AG
I could hear geese yesterday but never could see them. Ready for Spring/Summer.
jgh85Ag
AG
Saw lots of snow birds migrating North on 37 this morning.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
SteveBott
AG
Bats tonight. Skunk dead in the street
SteveBott
AG
Hah! My nine week and a half old pup just ate his first June bug. Actually two.

Also today a red tail hawk made a kill on my suburban street. The feather blow up was impressive. Pretty sure it was a dove. Hawks have actively hunted my street since last year.

Question? Have others seen a RT hawk fly under trees to stir up the roosters? This one flies low and blows up the roosters and tonight it's partner hangs high to drop on the prey. They got at least one.

Pretty interesting hunting tactic, but it worked
SteveBott
AG
Now up to 4 bugs. They are good protein
Post removed:
by user
Sazerac
AG
They are in full force in Bastrop.
SoTXAg09
AG
Definitely tangentially related, but how the heck do I get rid of an armadillo tearing up my beds while in a subdivision?!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.