Outdoors
Sponsored by

Left brisket out overnight....

25,487 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Woods Ag
gillom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cooked 2 briskets and some Dino Ribs yesterday. Wrapped an unsliced flat in foil about 8. Found it on the counter at 7 this morning. Freeze or trash?
Mule_lx
AG
Trash.
gillom
AG
I know, thanks for confirming.
AgLawman
AG
Probably not the correct "scientific" response, but I've consumed brisket many times under the same or similar circumstances.
Todd 02
AG
Is a day on the toilet worth the risk?
ag0207
AG
Cut back on the beer next time & this won't happen again
gillom
AG
Maybe... it was pretty damn good.
CuriousAg
risk it for the brisket.
longeryak
Smoking meats was how our forebears preserved meat before refrigeration.
FIDO*98*
AG
Chop it and mix with sauce then freeze anything you won't eat today. Should be fine.
FSGuide
longeryak said:

This

And they just let it hang in a shack until they were done cutting hunks off of it to eat. You left yours on the countertop, wrapped in foil for 11 hours. I'd eat it without a second thought.
drummer0415
AG
Fresh/uncooked meat, hell no. Cooked, especially smoked, I would say go for it.

Confession time, I have a habit of leaving leftover cooked bacon from breakfast out all day and then snacking on it later that night or even the next morning for breakfast again. Never once been affected by it.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
If you wrapped it in foil while still hot you should be just fine. I would probably use it for chopped and maybe crock pot it for a bit just to be safe.
Aggies Revenge
AG
drummer0415 said:

Confession time, I have a habit of leaving leftover cooked bacon from breakfast out all day and then snacking on it later that night or even the next morning for breakfast again. Never once been affected by it.
As a kid, we used to do that all the time. Left over bacon, round steak, or fried chicken were left on a plate on the stove. Of course it probably didn't make it past 8 hours there but still...

My wife freaks when I just throw leftover pizza in the oven. I always tell her it won't be there that long and it is processed enough that it won't spoil anyway.
DevilYack
AG
Eat it. It's fine.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
drummer0415 said:

What is leftover bacon? I've never heard of it...
12thAngryMan
AG
FSGuide said:

longeryak said:

This

And they just let it hang in a shack until they were done cutting hunks off of it to eat. You left yours on the countertop, wrapped in foil for 11 hours. I'd eat it without a second thought.
Serious question because I don't know the answer - how long would people typically smoke meats when doing so for preservation rather than immediate consumption? Just wondering if there would be any meaningful difference in bacteria levels/if it is a wholly valid comparison.

That being said, I would most likely still eat it.
Duncan Idaho
General rule of food:
A lot of rot is bad but a little rot is good.
BCStalk
Typically until completely dry. Moisture is where the bacteria starts. Time is based on the size.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I would crock pot it immeduately for a long time, and eat it for sure or freeze after crock potting.
Ketchup is a vegetable
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

drummer0415 said:

What is leftover bacon? I've never heard of it...

There are 2 things that are impossible in life.

One of them is licking your elbow.

The other is finding a food that doesn't taste good with bacon.
Woods Ag
AG
? What's the problem? I hardly ever put dinner away, will reheat the next evening and enjoy. Smoked meat isn't even a question. It's good
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.