Outdoors
Sponsored by

300blk Barrel?

1,010 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Secolobo
BCStalk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any suggestions? I am trying to replace all my 223 barrels. Main purpose would be hog hunting under 100 yards. I was looking at a CNMG or an Odin at 16" with a 1:8. As long as I can maintain a 2" group at 100 yards I would be plenty happy.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I'm sure Eyeguy can hook you up with a Ballistic Advantage barrel!

http://ballisticadvantage.com/ar-parts/ar-barrels?caliber=126
slammerag
AG
16" is too long. 8-10" are optimal for 300 blk out. I have a noveske and it shoots well, however the caliber is junk and I would not rely on it to effectively kill anything.
BCStalk
I want something with a rifle stock and am not really wanting a regulated firearm.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
BCStalk said:

I want something with a rifle stock and am not really wanting a regulated firearm.

Ballistic is good. Used a few Rosco barrels lately and liked them. Also, look into doing a Maxim brace instead of a stock and making a pistol. We have been making a ton of those lately. Roughly 5:1 braced pistols to rifles lately, which is kind of weird to me.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
DatTallArchitect
AG
BCStalk said:

Have you considered going to a 6.8? It is designed for rifle length barrels and suppresses well. Just something to consider.
BCStalk
If I go with a pistol length I would have to buy a whole new lower. I have a few uppers I don't use and was just going to swap barrels. That being said I can always get a lower but I was trying not to spend $500. I'll look at some braces and see if that route works better. It is going to live with a suppressor its whole life so maybe shorter wouldn't hurt.
BCStalk
I'm already running a Grendel on one and didn't see a lot of difference between it and the 6.8. Of course I could be missing something. I've never shot a 6.8 so I'm not 100% aware of the difference.
BCStalk
They are very proud of those Maxim braces.
Average Joe
AG
Just looked myself. I just THOUGHT I wanted one. That would easily be the most expensive part of my pistol, and more expensive than my current complete lower.
Log
AG
I've got a 16" Rainer with maybe 100 rounds through it that I'm looking to get rid of if you are interested.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I'm not a 6.8 guy, so I'm not the best one to answer that. However, from what I have gathered, it will have similar ballistics as the Grendel in the range you are looking to shoot, but it will suppress a lot better. If you want a rifle length barrel, but want to suppress, it may be the better choice.

As far as the Maxim braces go, if you hold a pistol with one you will be hooked! That said, Eyeguy was telling me there's a cheaper alternative out there that one of his guys at the shop picked up. Hopefully he will chime in about that.
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
Average Joe said:

Just looked myself. I just THOUGHT I wanted one. That would easily be the most expensive part of my pistol, and more expensive than my current complete lower.

If you were actually considering the Maxim brace, check out the SB Tactical PDW brace. It is very similar to the Maxim but it's over $100 cheaper. I think the major differences are that the Maxim is shorter when fully collapsed and longer when fully extended, and it has two QD mounts rather than one. I have the SB Tactical brace and I absolutely love shouldering the s*** out of it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Mantis Toboggan MD said:

Average Joe said:

If you were actually considering the Maxim brace, check out the SB Tactical PDW brace. It is very similar to the Maxim but it's over $100 cheaper. I think the major differences are that the Maxim is shorter when fully collapsed and longer when fully extended, and it has two QD mounts rather than one. I have the SB Tactical brace and I absolutely love shouldering the s*** out of it.

The biggest advantage of the Maxim system is getting the jp silent capture system. Soo nice. Maxim also feels better and has more adjustment points. Also, easier to get. Most of these pistols are 2k plus guns so $100 more for the Maxim isn't that much of a stretch
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Mantis Toboggan MD
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Mantis Toboggan MD said:

Average Joe said:

The biggest advantage of the Maxim system is getting the jp silent capture system. Soo nice. Maxim also feels better and has more adjustment points. Also, easier to get. Most of these pistols are 2k plus guns so $100 more for the Maxim isn't that much of a stretch

?256
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Secolobo
AG
BCStalk said:

Any suggestions? I am trying to replace all my 223 barrels. Main purpose would be hog hunting under 100 yards. I was looking at a CNMG or an Odin at 16" with a 1:8. As long as I can maintain a 2" group at 100 yards I would be plenty happy.
I've used two of the stainless cnmg barrels from midway and my dad and I have killed several hogs and deer with them.
Check out spinta precision also. Nice people and I think they are actually the manufacturers for a lot of companies. Used their 9mm bolt/carrier, barrels, and 5.56 parts.
Can I go to sleep Looch?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.