Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fresh Water Aquarium Advice

6,801 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MandoArms
MandoArms
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I figured it was my best shot at getting solid advice. I recently inherited a 140 gallon (72" L x 23 H ) aquarium from my godfather who passed away in 2016. I have no idea what I am doing and I feel like I have bit off more than I can chew, but I am determined to make this tank look good and keep it going. I knew it was in rough shape so the first thing I did was have the cabin refinished and the tank professionally cleaned. It probably would have been cheaper to get a new tank, but since it was the one thing I always remembered seeing at my Godfathers house since I was 6 I wanted to keep it all. So right now the few fish he had are currently in a 20 gallon tank while I get this monster of a tank set up. I have purchased a new FX6 canister filter.

I am looking for good recommendations on what kind of light set up to use. I don't plan on having live plants, just the fish which currently consists of 2 large plecos and a 20 or so barbs. I am sure it will look empty with so little fish so I will probably need to purchase a few more so recommendations on some no violent easy to maintain fish, that look good. Also any general advice on life with a freshwater aquarium would be a huge help. Thanks!
AggieChemist
AG
Your first big challenge will be getting through the nitrogen cycle. Get an ammonia and nitrite test kit. Ammonia will peak first, then nitrite, and then nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite are toxic to fish and will kill your tank. When you see ammonia first starting to peak, change 50% of the water daily. Same as the ammonia is converted to nitrite. Nitrate is less harmful and won't kill your fish.

In a tank that big, it will take a while if you have a small bioload. I would start with something hearty that craps a lot like goldfish to get the cycle going. Once you see nothing but nitrate, then you can add more delicate fish... you know, like everything else.
Badace52
AG
Barbs are medium to high aggression as far as freshwater fish go. You won't be able to put any fish with long fins with them as they will nip them off. Barbs will do well in an aggressive tank as will plecos. You should probably steer away from all non-aggressive community tank fish with that many barbs.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MandoArms
Thanks! I will get two gold fish to start the process once I get it all set up.
Ergo97
AG
IMO, you can keep it simple if you don't overcrowd, and if you siphon-clean some percent of the water every week or two. My goal is to set it up so it's not a big chore. Get a siphon that attaches to your sink faucet so you can move water back and forth easy - treat with chemicals to get rid of chlorine.

I like a few live plants, and don't do anything for them. They'll be fine with any ol' LED light and a little window light.

If you let your house get real cold during the winter, consider a small aquarium heater.

When out of town, you can use time release food capsules or get an automatic feeder.
MandoArms
Do you think the Plecos would be hearty enough to move first? Or should I move some barbs in to start the process since they would probably beat up the goldfish??
Ergo97
AG
You can also buy bacteria to jump start your bio-filtration. Starting with a few fish is easier, and add more over time. Have fun!
Badace52
AG
Things like silver dollars, red-finned sharks, corydoras catfish, pictus catfish, large gouramis (small ones will get their feelers bitten off, loaches, hatchet fish, danios (not long finned species), and tetras are OK in groups of 10 or more (also not long finned species)
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieChemist
AG
Ergo97 said:

You can also buy bacteria to jump start your bio-filtration. Starting with a few fish is easier, and add more over time. Have fun!
No need to do that... just put some water/substrate from the old tank in the new.
Badace52
AG
If you do live plants, use anubis species. They thrive in low light, require little care, and won't take over the tank. I do recommend live plants. They will make the water quality better.
CM
Badace52
AG
The plecos would probably do fine, but I'd get rid of the goldfish after your tank is set up. Goldfish are great tank starters cause they make so much waste, but they are poor tank mates in the long run and will make your tank need a lot more care.
CM
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I don't have anything constructive to add other than I've always wanted to set up a big ass freshwater aquarium with a couple largemouth bass, bream, and baitfish to watch their behavior.

Good luck with what sounds like a really cool project.
CT'97
AG
You can jump start the nitrogen cycle with a quick start or safe start, bio starter. But like AC said the bio load will determine how much bacteria continue to live in the filter.

With a tank that size I would actually advise adding some plants but stick with easy one's that don't need fertilizer. Anubias or Java fern are a couple that are almost impossible to kill. The plants will help keep various forms of algae from growing. You grow one type of plant to absorb the nutrients and keep another type from taking over.

With barbs you probably want to stick with barbs. They look really cool in a large school and you could support as many as 50 in a tank that size.

Lights are troublesome because there are a lot of options depending on what you want to do. Any of the smaller LED's will be fine.
Finnex Stingray LED
If you aren't growing a fully planted tank and just have a few low light plants then I would go with a smaller light and only run it a few hours a day. I run the lights on my tanks at night, when we are home and leave them off most of the time.

Check out this guys 800 gal tank with over 200 barbs, among other fish.
CT'97
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

I don't have anything constructive to add other than I've always wanted to set up a big ass freshwater aquarium with a couple largemouth bass, bream, and baitfish to watch their behavior.

Good luck with what sounds like a really cool project.
I have thought about this, but am more interested in some of the native chiclids. They get big so it would take something like a 140 to make it work.
Badace52
AG
I thought the Texas Cichlid was the only species of cichlid native to the US...
CM
longeryak
Badace52 said:

Things like silver dollars, red-finned sharks, corydoras catfish, pictus catfish, large gouramis (small ones will get their feelers bitten off, loaches, hatchet fish, danios (not long finned species), and tetras are OK in groups of 10 or more (also not long finned species)
Silver dollars and gouramis do well with barbs. Pretty sure I could spend hours a day watching silver dollars in a 6' long tank.
CT'97
AG
Badace52 said:

I thought the Texas Cichlid was the only species of cichlid native to the US...
They are, not sure why I pluralized it. Just one species and they exist in Texas rivers.

BigPuma
AG
talk to DRAINS05
MandoArms
I stand corrected I have swordtails and not barbs. I only have two males and the rest are females.
Badace52
AG
Well swordtails will do well in a community tank with just about anything.
CM
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I'm cycling a new tank that I set up at christmas right now. Hoping I'm near the end. Nitrites have been high for a week. Doing partial water changes, and only have 4 platy fish right now. It's only 10 gallon so maintaining the balance will be a little harder than I'm used to.
MandoArms
Oh well that is good to hear! I want to get one or to Texas Cichlids.
Badace52
AG
Well unfortunately Texas Cichlids aren't a community tank fish. They eat everything that's small enough to fit in their mouths. If you had some small ones they would do OK until they get big enough to eat the swords and then they will eat whatever they can catch.
CM
MandoArms
Well I am glad you guys are here to share advice. I would have made some bad choices with out ya'll.

So far I have added some low light plants to my list and I have a general idea on how I will prep the tank to take fish.

Goals for tonight, rinse/clean the gravel that was in the tank originally and start setting up the tank dcor.

Keep the ideas coming. I did not realize so many people had aquariums!
MouthBQ98
AG
I like to pick a sort of realistic natural community and replicate it in my tank.

I really like South American style tanks: lots of community fish that school and move along with catfish. Tetras and silver dollars.

I've also done a native tank that I had native sunfish species in, plus some other native fish, which was fun, but they do grow rapidly. Feeding them live food was a blast though.

African cichlids make a great colorful tank, but they are all aggressive and can only go on with other African cichlids and tough larger fish.
Badace52
AG
Additionally, unlike barbs which are a little more sensitive to poor water conditions, swordtails are very hardy and you could probably use them to condition your tank if you don't want to buy goldfish, but I wouldn't put all of them in there at once. Maybe 5-10 to start and then slowly add more fish in after a week or two with the initial group 5-10 at a time.
CM
reddog90
AG
Do a big cichlid tank

https://instagr.am/p/BeIqnPPBhQl
college of AG
AG
Cichlids are fun and lots of variety. We were even able to try a few other things with them with success (some ended up cichlid food) if you don't overstock and give some protected areas.

agrams
AG
i had an african cichlid tank. Yes Cichlids can be aggressive generally, but there are dozens of types that are not overly aggressive. The standard malawi/kenyi you see at most stores can be pretty aggressive. Haplochromis cichlids are more open water, less aggressive, and you can have a nice variety with them more easily. Frontossa are a big type that are popular.

If you go cichlid, cichlid-forum.com is a must. You can find local stores that carry what you want and you can get feedback on the mix of cichlids you want to try and people will give you a heads up if your mix will cause issues.

There are tons of tricks to mitigate the aggressiveness of the species, but in my opinion cichlids are the ultimate way to make a freshwater tank look as vibrant as a salt water tank without the salt water cost and headache. A few common tactics are specific mixing of species of cichlids, overpopulating the tank to prevent fish from becoming too territorial, frequent rearrangement of the rocks etc to also minimize territoriality.

but honestly, maybe I just enjoyed the excuse to make a koa/curly maple aquarium stand at the time..
Badace52
AG
I bet your aquarium stands are amazing...
CM
reddog90
AG
Post of a pic of your tank. I had a cichlid tank years ago and enjoyed it.
atmdds03
AG
Picture of your stand?
SanAntoneAg
AG
BrownCoat said:

I stand corrected I have swordtails and not barbs. I only have two males and the rest are females.
Swordtails are live bearers and fairly prolific. You'll probably end up with more unless they are getting eaten.

Regarding live plants, your plecos will probably eat them.
Gig 'em! '90
Badace52
AG
I have 3 plecos and while they eat most aquatic plants, they won't touch the anubias species.
CM
Thunder18
AG
This is my 36 gallon african cichlid tank. I have 2 red zebras, a blue johanni and a golden mbuna. One of the zebras just gave birth, as I have seen two little fry hiding in some of the caves/fake plants.

I used pool filter sand as my substrate, some flat river rocks, fake plants and a chunk of driftwood for shelter/cover. I ended up doing a fishless cycle, which about drove my wife crazy no matter how many times I tried to explain WHY we didn't have fish yet (I used that time to research what kinds and how many species I should get). I'm pretty pleased with everything so far, the african cichlids are entertaining to watch (they love to dig out caves under the rocks and I can get the big zebra to eat food out of my hand) and I think the sand substrate worked out great overall.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.