Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tapeworm Larva in Hog Meat

22,443 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Doc Hayworth
danshale
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is only found in pork from feral hogs and is not a common problem). It is recommended that you cook all wild game to 160F internal temperature to eliminate these problems (with a thermometer). see https://www.cdc.gov/brucellosis/pdf/brucellosis_and_hoghunters.pdf
AgEng98
scottimus said:

Guys, this was a facebook post I saw and have never seen it here.

I eat wild hog. It's great.

These days I would take a young pig over store bought pork any day. Lord knows whats in them.

Anyways, just spreading the info. I look over my meat thoroughly and have never seen this type of speckle in the fat. And damn, there has been some fat.

Just so I understand... the composition of store bought pork concerns you, but wild hogs that will literally eat anything and possibly contaminated with tapeworms are fine?
scottimus
AG
Like I said, Young hogs.

And yes, If I personally shot, gutted, and butchered a pig. I would prefer that over store bought pork any day of the week.
Suppose I was an idiot. Suppose I was a member of congress. But, I repeat myself.
Doc Hayworth
I would not hesitate to guess that a very small % of the pork or beef you buy in the store was actually inspected. I had a gov. Meat inspector. Several years ago, tell me that there were not enough inspectors to check what is being sold. He said he estimated only about 1% of what is being sold has actually been inspected.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.