Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best type of wood to use for setting border when concreting a driveway?

9,213 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Brush Country
magnumtmp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BlueDeviledAg said:

Yes, that's right. I talked to my BIL last night and attempted to explain the complexity. We're looking into contractors for him in the Longview area. Any recs?

I evidently can't PM you since you have no stars! Email me at username@msn.com and I'll send you his phone number.
Presley OBannons Sword
Generally mahogany is used on forms for driveways. Walnut if you can find it.
Chickenhawk
Presley OBannons Sword said:

Generally mahogany is used on forms for driveways. Walnut if you can find it.

African Blackwood or gtfo.
aggieland09
AG
I prefer bois d'arc. Ages well and has great color.
Bayside Tiger Ag
Thanks Magnum. How expensive is the bois d'arc per ream? Does it rot?
Mathguy64
AG
All you guys are so far off. You keep suggesting to OP to use dense wood for the forms. They will have great structural integrity for sure but I suggest using spalted maple. Being half rotten already, you would just leave it in place and let it rot in place.
agrams
AG
Lignum vitae is the only answer. It is self lubricating, so won't stick as the slab cures.
DatTallArchitect
AG
aggieland09 said:

I prefer bois d'arc. Ages well and has great color.
and it's easy to handle.
sunchaser
AG
I would use Snakewood. It's cheap and you get the added benefit of getting your yard safer for kids and pets....
magnumtmp
AG
BlueDeviledAg said:

Thanks Magnum. How expensive is the bois d'arc per ream? Does it rot?

They are messing with you on the Bois d'arc comment. There won't be any wood left permanently unless your concrete guy puts in an expansion joint. You don't have to worry about rot, the forms will be removed within a week of pouring, probably the next day. You won't need an expansion joint for a slab that size unless you are pouring it between 2 other foundations.

Regular ole yellow pine or Birch is what you want. A cheap, straight 2x6 is typical. If you call a contractor, they will setup the forms and tie all the steel (the rebar mesh, what you called lattice to start with). If you want to set up your own forms, get the pine or Birch, duplex 3" and 2 1/2" nails, a few bundles of 24" stakes and a few of 18" stakes. There is also dirt work involved typically, not sure what your 'pad' looks like. Concrete guys don't normally do major dirt work. They will level off dirt when they dig grade beams, but if you have grass and top soil in the way, they dont typically scrape off the soil and bring in fill. A dirt work contractor would do that before concrete. The fill under the soil has to be compacted well also.
Bayside Tiger Ag
Our contractor is recommending treated yellawood to use for the forms for lattice foundation. As long as it doesn't rot we will be happy.
Wildman15
AG
BlueDeviledAg said:

Our contractor is recommending treated yellawood to use for the forms for lattice foundation. As long as it doesn't rot we will be happy.
ok
schmellba99
AG
WTF is a "lattice foundation"?
Wildman15
AG
schmellba99 said:

WTF is a "lattice foundation"?
One of the greatest questions of the OB
MouthBQ98
AG
Remesh.
ags4rocks
This is painful and hard to read without LOL....I am still confused....oh well it was a fun read!
AgEng06
AG
Based on the OP's posts over the past week or so on various boards, I'm calling this thread a troll (along with most others he/she has posted).
southernskies
Old Sarge said:

Get a cheap pump up sprayer and form oil/form release to coat the boards to be used as forms. I've used a light cheap cooking oil in a pinch. They will break loose from the concrete much easier.
Completely unnecessary. 2x4's will strip no problem. Tap the outside faces of formwork after concrete has set up for about an hour and you're golden. Breaks the initial bond of concrete to formwork. Form oil only really necessary when using plywood as formwork for elevated decks and walls.
Corps_Ag12
AG
So that's where you concrete guys hide all the money. In the form liner.....
Bayside Tiger Ag
How the rebar forms with the wood, it's like a lattice pattern. My BIL is going to use yellawood.
Chickenhawk
If you poly all the forms before you pour the concrete, they will break away cleanly.

Btw, did you find out if 15 bags would be enough?
Brush Country
AgEng06 said:

Based on the OP's posts over the past week or so on various boards, I'm calling this thread a troll (along with most others he/she has posted).

Yep.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.