Outdoors
Sponsored by

Building AR

1,342 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SweaterVest
MROD92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What armorers wrench and head spacing gauge do you recommend getting?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
If you get a reputable barrel, you probably won't need a headspace gauge. They're already headspaced before they leave. We keep a set of go/no go's around but I rarely need to use them.

As to an armorer's wrench, honestly, most are going to be fine. A lot depends on what type of handguard you're putting on. We rarely need a full out armorer's wrench, just a torque wrench and a castle nut wrench but we do nearly all freefloats.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
AgLA06
AG
FYI. Sent you a PM the other day.
skelso
AG
I use standard go and no go gauges from Pacific tool and gauge. No need for the fancy extractor cut gauge, just pop the extractor off the bolt.

I headspace every build I do. Most of the time AR barrels are in spec but unless you are buying a barrel / bolt combo and have been assured they were headspaced together, I would check it just to be sure. Just because a barrel heads paced correctly to the bolt they used in MFG, does not mean it will heads pace correctly to a bolt from another mfg.

I have several wrenches. It depends what I am doing, and which is easiest to find at the time... the Wheeler wrench is a decent all around tool for most stuff AR. There are some aftermarket handguard that require a proprietary wrench.

Edit: corrected brand of wrench
MROD92
Thank you (actually all of you) do you think Magpul is decent all around wrench? My dad is a retired Aggie engineer, thinking about getting into some builds. Just looking at getting him a couple tools to get started
skelso
AG
I've never used the Magpul wrench but just looked it up. I see no reason why it wouldn't do most of what he would be doing.

One of the Wheeler kits would be a good start for someone with no tooling.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Wheeler-reg-Delta-Series-AR-Armorers-Essentials-Kit/1530083.uts?productVariantId=3496923&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03686350&rid=20&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsK7RBRDzARIsAM2pTZ8YrRTBvg1vSgP_ShJY8IA5ikjYpGcrMrRUURC6CrTCz0XuUt3ckCYaAlymEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
MROD92
Thanks Skelso, you are good people. Reason I use you for FFL in CS
CTGilley
AG
To me it is worth it to pay someone else to check head spacing. If I planned to build 4+ of the same caliber it would be different.
ag0207
AG
You can also rent headspace gauges. A lot cheaper than buying unless you plan to build multiple of the same caliber.
SweaterVest
AG
Bump and question for Eyeguy or others-

How big is the risk of not checking headspacing? I just finished a Grendel build with a cheap Bear Creek barrel and bolt that I bought together, but I'm not sure if they are matched. Both are type II.

I'll probably replace the barrel if this one isn't fairly accurate, but I was hoping to work it out on some hogs this weekend and don't have access to gauges.
maverick2076
I've build at least 3 dozen ARs and never once checked headspace. As long as you aren't using a brand new bolt with an extremely worn barrel you'll be fine.
SweaterVest
AG
Awesome, thanks. That's what I need to know
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.