Outdoors
Sponsored by

Golden Retriever breeders

12,335 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by KellerAg15
uncover&humpit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody know of a reputable golden retriever breeder within a few hours of Houston? Were looking to get a pup in the next few months. Going to be a family pet so not worried about show quality or a great hunting pedigree. I just want a good dog for my 2 boys, ages 4 and 7 .
uncover&humpit
AG
Bump
reddog90
AG
These are some field dog breeders that sometimes produce litters with pet homes in mind: Topbrass, Adirondac, Emberain, Gallo Gold, Saturday Night, Sutter Bay, Vintage, SkyRiver. There are some more but they mainly produce litters for competition homes. Vintage is in Katy, Gallo Gold is in Dallas. Neither breed very often. The others are out of state but shipping a puppy or flying to pick it up is not a big deal. They all are reputable breeders whose dogs have full health clearances, so be prepared to pay. The likelihood of finding a pup this short notice from breeders like this is pretty slim.
Terk
AG
We have rules around here...
Alta
AG
We got our golden from Brianna Bischoff of Emory Goldens. We got her originally to just be a family pet as well but have since sent her to be trained to be a duck dog and she is doing really well so far.
Back2Back
AG
I know it's a far drive & not what you asked for, but a little east of Dallas there is a breeder named Tracy Garner. We got a female from her last December & she has been the best dog we could ask for. If you want any more info or pictures just let me know
titanten85
We got ours from Amica Goldens in Austin. Would definitely shop there again if we were in the market.
SteveBott
AG
Bumping for more suggestions

Also what pricing should I expect for a home dog? Also will not breed. Thanks
fairviewcrew
We got our golden from Don's Goldens in Cleveland TX. Ours is 8 yrs old so I haven't kept up w/ it... but our dog is the worlds best dog, so I would recommend
Alta
AG
SteveBott said:

We paid $2500
reddog90
AG
SteveBott said:

$1500-2500 range depending on breeder and litter. That's for a pup from parents with clearances on at least hips, elbows, eyes, and heart. Parents that have been campaigned will drive the price up but show biddability which would be important even for a house dog. Puppy price is a drop in the bucket over the life of the dog.
aggiec05
AG
Skip the breeder and do a rescue for a pet.
http://www.grrh.org/2017_dusty2
uncover&humpit
AG
Thanks for the info, but not interessted in a rescue. Would you chime in on the auto board where someone us asking about a new car and tell them to skip the depreciation and buy used as well? With rescues you don't know what you're getting, the are often are mixed breed and you could end up with a dog with major health issues and extensive vet bills. Plus these breed rescues often charge several hundred in "re-homing" fees. No thanks.
Duck Blind
AG
Back2Back said:

I know it's a far drive & not what you asked for, but a little east of Dallas there is a breeder named Tracy Garner. We got a female from her last December & she has been the best dog we could ask for. If you want any more info or pictures just let me know
I have 2 Goldens from Tracy in Edom, TX.. Aunt Tracy as she's known to my dogs. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL dogs. I've posted on here many times signing her praises. One of my boys is 9 next week and the other little devil will be 3. Goldens are her life. Not a puppy mill in any sort of the way. She breeds show quality Goldens and travels all over for contests. Every puppy is loved. ZERO problems with mine as far as eyes, hips, etc... You'll pay north of $1000 but they're WORTH IT. When my family and I were moving from one city in TX to another, Tracy boarded my oldest while we lived in temporary housing. We cried when we picked him up, and she cried letting him go. She's wonderful and it shows in her dogs.

I have pics I can email.
reddog90
AG
You could also check out golden beginnings in Houston. Just FYI, the adoption fee generally doesn't come anywhere close to covering the vet expenses those groups incur saving the animals from their previous situations. But yes, you don't always know what you're getting yourself into with a rescue.
RebelE91
AG
Bought mine from Kathy Marek in The Richmond-Fulshear area back in March. 281-389-3665. $1000. Great family dog, not a hunting dog.
blackgoldag11
AG
aggiec05 said:

Skip the breeder and do a rescue for a pet.
http://www.grrh.org/2017_dusty2

That's a beautiful golden there to rescue. Wish I could add another one to the house but can't right now
taggiej24
I got my Golden from a lady in between Dallas and Tyler (Edom-very small town) around 3 years ago and recently had her look after him while I was on vacation. Her name is Tracey Garner and she has been raising goldens longer than I have been alive. She is very professional, you can tell she puts full effort into taking care of her dogs, and I have not had one problem with her or my dog. It may be a bit of a drive from where you are, but her dogs are worth it. She will not let you down. Tracey's son is also a current Aggie I believe.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
$2500?!?!
Jesus Christ.
Oruc Reis
AG
Make sure you check lineage for cancer
AgBQ-00
AG
Katian Kennels. Am getting mine from her they should be born some time in February
fairviewcrew
We got ours from Don's Goldens in Cleveland, TX eight years ago.

I think we paid $750 for last pup left in the litter, so I think it was a little discounted. But he's been the worlds best dog
Burnsey
AG
Tree-House-Farm.com in Huntsville
MEENag
AG
I'm not here to talk you into a rescue, but it is a great option for many. There was no need to be rude to the person who suggested it.
We are on our 3rd and 4th goldens, with the last 3 being from rescue organizations. I would argue that you'll know more about the temperament and health of a rescue from a good organization than you will getting a puppy. Our first golden, which we got as a puppy had hip dysplasia surgery at 10 months. She was a great dog that lived to 12. Our first rescue died of cancer at 9ish but was a great dog. Our second rescue is a mix, which we knew when we got him. He's a great family dog but kind of dumb. The latest rescue is top notch. Extremely smart with a great temperment.
I agree with the earlier poster that the adoption fee for many rescue dogs doesn't cover the costs the organization incurs to take in a dog and get it ready for adoption. Heartworm treatment alone costs several multiples of the adoption fee.
Just as it is when selecting a puppy from a breeder, doing your homework in selecting a rescue will pay dividends.
Anyway, that info is for anyone else who might be interested. OP has his mind made up, which is fine. Good luck with your search.
FIDO*98*
AG
uncover&humpit said:

Thanks for the info, but not interessted in a rescue. Would you chime in on the auto board where someone us asking about a new car and tell them to skip the depreciation and buy used as well?

Absolutely I would recommend a used car. Good advice is good advice
Col. Steve Austin
AG
reddog90 said:

You could also check out golden beginnings in Houston. Just FYI, the adoption fee generally doesn't come anywhere close to covering the vet expenses those groups incur saving the animals from their previous situations. But yes, you don't always know what you're getting yourself into with a rescue.
Yep, we adopted one pure bred Golden from that group. He was 1 1/2, had been purchased as a hunting dog and given up by the owner who apparently didn't have the time to train him. Great dog!

3 years ago, we were looking at adopted another Golden. We checked out the dogs available from Golden Beginnings and Golden Retriever Rescue of Houston. For some reason, my wife found herself getting interested in a Golden Pyr (1/2 Golden Retriever, 1/2 Great Pyrenees). We went to take a look a one year old that had just become available. My wife fell in love with him in about 10 seconds and since we had already gone through the application process and been approved, we ended up taking him home with us. The name the rescue group gave him was Peanut, my wife renamed him Bentley.

Golden Retriever Rescue of Houston

Golden Beginnings Golden Retriever Rescue
reddog90
AG
Gota De Limon said:

$2500?!?!
Jesus Christ.
$1kish-$2500ish for a puppy from dogs with full health clearances from a responsible breeder who probably campaigns their dog in some venue and truly breeds for the betterment of the breed. AKC "papers" don't mean a damn thing in terms of getting a healthy, stable puppy.

https://www.grca.org/about-the-breed/health-research/health-screenings-for-the-parents-of-a-litter/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstjohn/2012/02/17/how-much-is-that-doggie-in-the-window-the-surprising-economics-of-purchasing-a-purebred-puppy/#17e692565e2d
Credible Source
AG
Well yes, I would
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Oh I get all that, but $2500 for a dog is just not for me. I don't begrudge anyone who feels comfortable doing so, hell it ain't my money.
chloelee
I have seen a boy from Yellow Rose Kennels in Smithville, Tx 561 8187779 Beautiful dog.

I own a boy out of Max at Centennial Ranch out of Colorado. Absolutely gorgeous, funny, loving..
A big boy at 100 lbs. 970 396 3186....They have puppies right now!
K.hou
I know this is an old forum post, but @jackduke, would it be possible for you to email me the contact info for Tracey Garner please? Email is klowiteng@yahoo.com. Thanks!
KellerAg15
AG
K.hou said:

I know this is an old forum post, but @jackduke, would it be possible for you to email me the contact info for Tracey Garner please? Email is klowiteng@yahoo.com. Thanks!
Going on with the "old post" theme, I tried to reach out to Tracey Garner on Facebook but have not heard back. Does anyone have any updated contact info or know if she is still breeding golden's?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.