Outdoors
Sponsored by

Monster deer shot in Louise Texas (possible state record)

23,479 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgEng06
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Carl Hungus said:

GSS said:

Generic statement, generic response...as if it matters whether it's deer #1, or 2, or 3...

Huh? I don't think either statements were generic. You definitely seemed to think it mattered that they "started at the top". Kind of seems like butt hurt actually
Analyze all you wish, it's social media. Dissect if $15k, or $25k, makes a difference. Or be obtuse regarding pre-purchasing trophy deer as it relates to the type of hunting existing for decades/generations. No butthurt, not even remotely so, but cute that you think so.

Participation ribbon for you.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
GSS
It was "tongue in cheek", regarding the first deer killed. No dismal failure, a proud moment still remembered decades later, along with my son and various nephews shooting their first deer.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
cbjrsdau
Is it a coincidence that I saw a video on FB about 3 weeks ago of an identical deer being unloaded from an enclosed stock trailer? It was captioned "Just Keep Watching". It showed a man on top of the trailer and another swinging the door open and standing back. After several seconds passed, a deer with a massive rack like this, jumped out of the trailer and walked off into the brush. I live near Louise, TX and saw the article in the El Campo paper. I believe it was a planted deer. Not unusual for these places to bring deer in so I don't believe it was a coincidence that a deer identical to the one on the video is shot not long after. I looked for video and it has disappeared. Another coincidence? Hmmmm
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I remember seeing the Facebook video, don't know if it's the same deer.

Seeing as there are no deer in the field I'll try and find it.
Courtesy Flush
AG
I own property a few miles to the north of this place in Louise. My first thought is that it would be cool if the fence got laid over in a storm and all the deer decided to head north but given that there are about 20 pastures less than 200 acres between me and that place, the likelihood if it making its way to mine is pretty slim.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Well..... I heard some info last night at DU banquet. Turns out the ranch is trying to get its name out and the deer was shot for less than 10K. The husband also shot a huge deer 250in(ish) deer the next day for less than 10K.

The hunters are tied into the oilfield and the ranch is looking for publicity, supposedly the deer are all going for less than 10K but I don't know if that involves any lodging or extras.

None of this comes directly from the lodge or hunters it's just what the old men talked about.
Sean98
AG
Why didn't they just let some TV show come in and kill it for free and put it on the Pursuit (barf) Channel? That would have been a better way to get publicity.

...that said, all that you just typed confirms all that I thought/believed/felt about the entire situation.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
A lot of hunting shows try to avoid showing:

Feeders
High fences
Tagged Deer

I am not sure this place is big enough to hide any one of those.
reddog90
AG
Someone please define canned hunt.

It sounds like some people are considering hunting on a high fence ranch canned. Or does hunting that ranch only become canned if outside genetics are introduced?
Ol Jock 99
AG
My definition of a canned hunt is when you pick out the class you want before heading out and are basically guaranteed to get that...with the chance of upselling to a higher class of course. Smaller places and high fences can help with that, but there are plenty of small places that aren't "canned" operations.
AgySkeet06
AG
Canned Hunt: (verb) the pursuit of a game animal where successful harvest is guaranteed; typically there is little pursuit in the actual hunt, usually due to occurring within a controlled and confined space where game has minimal free range. The hunter is often given several options in advance of which game animal to harvest usually based on price per game animal, similar to a livestock purchase.
reddog90
AG
So if guides have scouted and know where deer X is every day and a guy wants to kill it, that makes the ensuing hunt canned?

AgEng06
AG
Just to play devil's advocate....

What about a guided Western hunt on public land, but the guide has spotted the animal and watched it for days while waiting on the hunter to arrive. Once the hunter arrives, they head out, relocate, and shoot the animal?
AgySkeet06
AG
Not a controlled or confined space so does not meet my definition. And even if scouted in advance can you call it a "guaranteed" hunt? Isn't scouting a part of the pursuit? Spending a week scouting/pursuing an animal is very different from watching an animal daily in a fenced environment. I think Sean could chime in on effort put in on scouting a location and not having a guaranteed harvest.
NRH ag 10
AG
AgEng06 said:

Just to play devil's advocate....

What about a guided Western hunt on public land, but the guide has spotted the animal and watched it for days while waiting on the hunter to arrive. Once the hunter arrives, they head out, relocate, and shoot the animal?
That's an impressive display of hunting by the guide. I hope the trigger man tips them well. Kind of like lion hunting with dogs, the dog handler and his pack are the stars of the show. Those aren't canned hunts by any means, the animal is free to move across the landscape and run off if it gets pressured.

Canned hunts to me are hunting where then animal is confined to a space smaller than it's typical home range. It gets way worse IMO when you're hunting deer that are raised by people and selectively bred.

So someone hunting whitetail on 5000 high fenced acres wouldn't be something I call a canned hunt. I reserve that for people shooting glorified livestock

ttha_aggie_09
AG
What if I told you a mature Whitetail bucks home range is less than a square mile and the ranch is 800acres?

Although defined in TPWD, the definition of a canned hunt is extremely subjective and the further north or west you go, the broader the term is used on TX hunts.

NRH ag 10
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

What if I told you a mature Whitetail bucks home range is less than a square mile and the ranch is 800acres?

Although defined in TPWD, the he definition of a canned hunt is extremely subjective and the further north or west you go, the broader the term is used on TX hunts.

Depending on the landscape I wouldn't necessarily call that a canned hunt.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I agree. Put up a bunch of cross fencing and it absolutely is.
reddog90
AG
Say a 1500 acre ranch is high fenced with no cross fences, has extremely thick cover, and has imported genetics and some exotics. Is that canned?

I always thought the price list on ranch websites was just to show what each class cost. Not that it was guaranteed to receive that item off the menu.

I can guarantee any friend of mine they can shoot a deer while we feed cows at our small low fence place. Is that canned?
AgEng06
AG
Happens a lot, according to some of the podcasts I listen to. I hear quite a few stories where a guide will watch an elk or deer for a week leading up to the season, the hunter shows up the day before season opens, and they kill the animal within 30 minutes of daylight on opening morning. Obviously it's not guaranteed, but seems to work that way often (and with a damn good guide).
AgEng06
AG
As I mentioned in my post before this, the hunter isn't doing the scouting, the guide is. The hunter is showing up and pulling the trigger once the guide puts them on the animal.

To be clear, I don't think this qualifies as a canned hunt. I was just playing devil's advocate and throwing that out there for discussion.
GSS
reddog90 said:

Say a 1500 acre ranch is high fenced with no cross fences, has extremely thick cover, and has imported genetics and some exotics. Is that canned?
If you have them all trained like you do at your "small low fenced place", then yes

I always thought the price list on ranch websites was just to show what each class cost. Not that it was guaranteed to receive that item off the menu.
Quite sure both types of operations exist

I can guarantee any friend of mine they can shoot a deer while we feed cows at our small low fence place. Is that canned?
Is a 180" buck part of that guarantee? Or just some pet does (which is not that hard to do).
NRA Life
TSRA Life
reddog90
AG
GSS said:

reddog90 said:

If you have them all trained like you do at your "small low fenced place", then yes

Quite sure both types of operations exist

Is a 180" buck part of that guarantee? Or just some pet does (which is not that hard to do).

The deer eat at feeders at that ranch, but I also frequently sit without seeing any deer. So no, they aren't trained.

I wish we had that class deer on our place. Does the class of deer make it canned?
giddings_ag_06
AG
One thing is for sure... my deer hunts aren't canned! Still looking for a shooter!! Hell, I'd take anything from 120" to... well, just about anything.
AgySkeet06
AG
Ok I think I have a way to rank the canned hunt to end debate

Hunting Level 1-Not Canned hunt: Sean Going Elk Hunting (see ie Elk Are Stupid)
Hunting Level 2-The promise(high expectation) of harvest but failure: See almost all Giddings_ag_06 post
Hunting Level 3-The Harvest Purchase: Hunt is guaranteed within a high fenced, controlled breeding operation that occurs within a relatively short period of time

Does that satisfy everyone????
Ol Jock 99
AG
Look son, I appreciate what you're trying to do, but we need to get through at least 30 or 40 more scenarios before we call it a day.
AggieArcher17
AG
AgySkeet06 said:

Ok I think I have a way to rank the canned hunt to end debate

Hunting Level 1-Not Canned hunt: Sean Going Elk Hunting (see ie Elk Are Stupid)
Hunting Level 2-The promise(high expectation) of harvest but failure: See almost all Giddings_ag_06 post
Hunting Level 3-The Harvest Purchase: Hunt is guaranteed within a high fenced, controlled breeding operation that occurs within a relatively short period of time

Does that satisfy everyone????
Very much so
fightingfarmer09
Poor giddings. Seems like such a good guy, but catches so much hell.
giddings_ag_06
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

I'm a GREAT guy...
AgEng06
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

I think the way he handles everything everything on here is pretty solid proof that he's a good guy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.