Outdoors
Sponsored by

Monster deer shot in Louise Texas (possible state record)

23,484 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgEng06
NRH ag 10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sean beat me to it. Canned hunts see not good for the image of hunting.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Fair point. Just wish we would be able to acknowledge that we can all have various interactions with hunting and still contribute to the sport as a whole (I know sport is a loose term here).
ttha_aggie_09
AG
NRH ag 10 said:

True canned hunts, yes. No one should shoot a deer in a "pen"
powerbelly
AG
Furlock Bones said:

I thought this was going to be about the monster 270 inch shot in North Texas that's been discussed on Texas bow hunter for the last couple of weeks.

Link?
B-1 83
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

NRH ag 10 said:

Tne problem comes when some folks think 10,000 acres is a pen.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
This is very true.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
B-1 83 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

NRH ag 10 said:

Tne problem comes when some folks think 10,000 acres is a pen.

Does 10,000 acres matter when a deer is bred to a pen, fed in a pen, and then turned out into 10,000 acre pasture for the hunt? The animal has be bred and conditioned to behave as livestock.

You can run a high fence operation on 10,000 acres and have it still be a canned hunt depending on how it's run. Just like you can probably run 1,000 acres high fenced and if it's done right have it not be "canned." It's all in how it's managed.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Does a low fence matter when you can hand Feed wild deer in canyon lake or Austin or wherever else? Deer can be wild and still behave very similar to penned deer.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
And for the record, I think people underestimate how a mature buck can stay off the radar on something as small as 1000acres despite there being 8-10 of them that are 180" - 230". They can disappear for years...

Also not trying to defend canned hunts.
MouthBQ98
AG
I have a doe and fawn that basically live on my place and my neighbor's places. The fawn was born and raised in my front lot, and they bed down most nights in my side pasture (I leave the grass tall and it's partly gone back native) or my neighbor's pasture.

They're wild and don't let us get near them, but conditioned to us enough that they don't move off unless we get within 100 yards or so.
Credible Source
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Does a low fence matter when you can hand Feed wild deer in canyon lake or Austin or wherever else? Deer can be wild and still behave very similar to penned deer.

That's a good point, I had deer sleeping in my front yard this morning, but have to drive hours to shoot one that been conditioned to my feeder.
AggieBuck, meal credit, cash, outbound?
wheelz
AG
No way should a pen-raised deer every qualify for any record.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
wheelz said:

No way should a pen-raised deer every qualify for any record.

1000% agree
Gunny456
AG
Finn has a point. It's all how you manage your hunting operation. An old Aggie wildlife prof I had said one day in class that we would destroy the purity of hunting Texas Whitetails if we ever allowed them to be genetically engineered in pens. However he did support the idea of game proof fencing as a management tool. Bare with me here as this is lengthy....... I was part of a research project on a well known large ranch in Texas. In that project a study was done on a 200 acre pasture with very good cover for game and a similar 1,000 acre pasture with the same cover. Both pastures were high fenced. Both had a population density of 15 acres/deer. Spin cast feeders were set up in both pastures. This was way before game cameras so observations were done with people in blinds and a set of binoculars. We would allow the deer to become accustomed to and use the feeders in both pastures. Then after 6 months we would place, for one day, a yellow 5 gallon plastic bucket within 50 yards of one of the feeders in both the 1000 acre and 200 acre pasture. What was determined was that in the 200 acre pasture EVERY single deer that came into the feeder would key in on that bucket and be very wary of it....to the point that many would not come to the feeder. However on the 1000 acre pasture 87% of the sightings of the deer that frequented that feeder paid no attention to the bucket whatsoever.
It was determined that the deer within the 200 acre pasture were a lot more tuned and aware of their total environment than in the 1000 acre pasture. Not unlike if you came home to your house and your wife moved a chair in the living room......you would notice it right away. But if a chair is moved in your local grocery store you probably would not notice it.
Point made is that hunting a high fence, with good cover, is not a "lay down" hunt, IF the hunts and property are managed correctly. I have helped manage and worked on many high fence ranches varying in size from 500 acres to 6,000 acres. All of those ranches never used pen raised whitetails or brought in any outside genetics. They used the high fence to keep other animals out so they could manage their habitat and range for the proper carrying capacity of that rangeland and to develop their NATIVE whitetail population to reach their full potential by implementing sound deer management practices. By this intensive management they were able to develop some awesome deer. Without utilizing the high fence, and due to the hunting pressure and practices of the surrounding properties, they never would have been able to have their deer herd reach its true potential. Hunting deer on these ranches can be just as challenging as on any low fence ranch....if not more so. It's all on how you manage it. Like everything else, being educated on the topic is the key. High fences get bad marks because of the unethical canned hunts everybody has heard of. In all of those cases they were done on commercial hunting "game farms" that were interested in making the most money as quickly as possible. It has been my experience that the overwhelming majority of landowners who have high fenced their properties have done so to be able to use it as a tool and develop a properly managed, healthy game herd, with an end goal to raise the most quality deer that they are able to - NOT to do "canned hunts."
I just think it is somewhat unfair for a person who will talk about "fair chase hunting" and condemn a high fence managed ranch, all along checking when the deer come to their feeders with their I-phone cellular game cameras.
I may not agree with raising "engineered" whitetails in pens, or how a person chooses to hunt, but I will fight for the property rights of any landowner to do what he wants with his land as long as he is not breaking any laws. We as hunters and gun owners need to all work and support one another. When we get divided is when the anti-hunting, anti-gun zealots start gaining strength.

tk127ag
AG
That area could possibly have something like that. These areas are becoming more and more habited by people and less hunting stress. My neighbor shot a monster last yr in Richmond off of hwy 90 and 359. No high fence. Big Ranch land in area across 90. These guys can live in a not so hunted area.
Gunny456
AG
Amount of acreage, within reason, doesn't equate to fair chase. Saying "as small as 1,000 acres" can be very misleading if that 1,000 acres is a flat, cleared grassland with a scattering of trees and cover. One of my clients in the hill country had just a little less than 400 acres under high fence. It had thick cedar breaks and large oak motts and had two deep canyons that an Aoudad would have a hard time navigating. Even with an annual aerial census we missed deer. Every year deer would be harvested that no one had ever seen in aerial surveys, spotlight counts or game cameras for multiple years.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Paragraph breaks . . . they're good.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Sean98 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

You might not but if some "City Slicker" with a lot of money and no outdoor experience does, who cares?

The more that support conservation the better. It sucks to see canned hunts and deer like this get "hunted" but if it adds more people to support the outdoors, I'm okay with it.

The question is, at what point do these types of ventures erode support more than they add to it. Outside the State of Texas (and maybe even there) these menu-board type operations turn the general public off and provide more anti hunting fuel than they do pro hunting support.

It's the guy carrying an AR into HEB scaring soccer Mom's just to prove he can. Nothing legally wrong with it, but they're not helping the cause.
QFMFT!
tk127ag
AG
Go Stros!!!!
WC87
AG
Any more information on this deer or ranch? Any other articles?
Furlock Bones
AG
powerbelly51 said:

Furlock Bones said:

I thought this was going to be about the monster 270 inch shot in North Texas that's been discussed on Texas bow hunter for the last couple of weeks.

Link?
Here's what I have read so far. TPWD currently is holding the carcass of a potential state record taken in North Texas.

Picture was posted on FB and then to texasbowhunter of a guy that posts regularly on there.

Turns out he made a bad shot the first night and saw the same deer 2 days later and made another shot.
Multiple things in play right now.
1) he may have been hunting an area he didn't have permission to hunt
2) the 2nd shot seems to have come well after legal shooting hours

Unfortunately, the threads keep getting deleted.
aka Sloan Kettering aka Lazlo Hollyfeld
TexasAggie_02
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

That's what the Doc said... Light behind the Photographer, which is light in the face of teh subject.

Oh and that engineered freak is ugly as fook!
photographers generally don't want their subjects squinting. it's better to have the light behind the subject, and then expose for the shadows.
Sean98
AG
Ewwww... that sounds messy.
Furlock Bones
AG
Sean98 said:

Ewwww... that sounds messy.
yea, it's not looking good for the guy. by most accounts on there, he's a good guy. unfortunately, big horns make people do stupid things.
aka Sloan Kettering aka Lazlo Hollyfeld
BurrOak
AG
Furlock Bones said:

powerbelly51 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Link?
Here's what I have read so far. TPWD currently is holding the carcass of a potential state record taken in North Texas.

Picture was posted on FB and then to texasbowhunter of a guy that posts regularly on there.

Turns out he made a bad shot the first night and saw the same deer 2 days later and made another shot.

I've followed along somewhat over there about that buck. It's not sounding good for the guy. Here is the buck. Denton County, supposedly scored 271".

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Exit wound on the hindquarter... that earlier story probably checks out
agsalaska
AG
Blue Duck said:

Give me Lynyrd every day of the week over that thing.
That was my first thought when I saw the picture
AstroAggie15
AG
Gunny456 said:

hunting operation.

Those two words irk me every time.

Its not an operation. Its not a corporation you should have to manage. There is no deer hunting any more. Just corn fed animal harvesting
JSKolache
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Why does everyone suck at taking pictures with or of deer? Jesus... this is some monster (although I hate non-typical deer) and you tie a rope around it's antlers and take a picture in front of two ice makers... really?

We need a how to take pictures with your deer thread
Or maybe "guy from church" wasn't the hunter, and he just snapped a quick pic to show his buddies. Don't eeeeeven say you wouldn't...
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I would never do such a thing...:
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Here's is some more info I found

https://m.facebook.com/people/Seven-Oaks-Land-AndCattle/100009308794549
AgEng06
AG
To be fair, that post isn't misleading in any way. They don't use the word "hunt" and actually say "harvest" as you would for livestock. As far as I can tell they are representing it like it is.
GSS
AgEng06 said:

To be fair, that post isn't misleading in any way. They don't use the word "hunt" and actually say "harvest" as you would for livestock. As far as I can tell they are representing it like it is.
For public consumption, "harvesting" is often used, even where fair chase occurs, it being more PC and all. "Killed" or "shot" is just for us Neanderthals

Maybe "this is the deer the shooter purchased" would be a good descriptor..
NRA Life
TSRA Life
AgEng06
AG
Yes. But that is an assumption based on a predetermined bias. As far as the farm is concerned, they reported the incident correctly.
LSB_2002
AG
BurrOak said:

Furlock Bones said:

powerbelly51 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Link?

I've followed along somewhat over there about that buck. It's not sounding good for the guy. Here is the buck. Denton County, supposedly scored 271".

Need more info on this! I'd like to hear the actual story here. So dude wounds a buck, never finds it, goes hunting it again, after hours mind you, and then stick another arrow in him? Interesting

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.