Outdoors
Sponsored by

Barge Explodes

7,341 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Credible Source
sunchaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Barge explodes off Port Aransas

An explosion occurred on a large, ocean-going barge three to five miles off Port Aransas this morning, and two crew members are unaccounted for, according to Rick Adams, the city's emergency operations director.
The incident occurred about 5 a.m., Adams said. A fire occurred, and there is "potential" for a spill, he said. The barge was carrying crude oil or fuel oil, Adams said.

The Coast Guard and Texas General Land Office are the lead agencies responding to the spill.
Kenneth_2003
AG
And you're not getting the awesome pics? Or are toy waiting for the sunrise you hit it just right?

Seriously though... damn hope they find those two and can contain any spill.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Will be some interesting video when it hits daybreak. Have 48 hours before the wind changes to the north if there is any significant spill.
sunchaser
AG
Harvey recommended that I find another place to stay for awhile....
FishingAggie
sunchaser said:

Harvey recommended that I find another place to stay for awhile....

I heard they were going to level your building. I hope that's not true. I'm also not home yet.

Are they really going to put the whole thing on the ground? That'll take years to rebuild. Again, I'm sorry either way. You guys took a huge hit. The Dunes is bad but not as bad
AgEng06
AG
Here's the only link I found so far...
http://www.kristv.com/story/36642292/coast-guard-reportedly-working-tanker-explosion-in-gulf
FishingAggie
Just a heads up. Mark Grosse owned most the boat barns in port a. He's not replacing the destroyed units. The new construction codes would make the rent on the units outrageous. This info is straight from mark.

If you have a unit that's not destroyed I'd expect the rent to go up but also don't let it go.

If you need one you better get it now. There won't be nearly enough to go around. Someone might want to post this by itself.

I don't really know how important it is but it'll be a mess around April-June to find a boat barn.
sunchaser
AG
It is not going to be leveled. We are taking it down to the interior studs. The structure itself is fine. We lost the roof....approximately 160 AC's off the roof, blown out windows and a lot of wind driven rain entry. No way to close up the building in time to remediate the negative effects of the moisture.Great insurance coverage.

It sounds like a tanker fire rather than a tug. I bet it was a tanker tug that transfer product to or from a tanker itself. They make multiple trips every day.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Is the sunglasses icon necessary for a post about an explosion and missing people?
bamdvm
Thanks for the link. Woke up around 4:30 to house shaking and windows rattling. All the way up by Copano Bay. Must have been a hell of a shockwave. Went outside and all was quiet. Told my wife it reminded me of the oil/gas well explosion near Refugio last year in the middle of the night. Rattled the house the same way and the sky was lit up like sunrise.
03_Aggie
Seven said:

Is the sunglasses icon necessary for a post about an explosion and missing people?

Pretty sure he uses it for most of all of his posts, regardless of content. Wouldn't read too much into it.
sunchaser
AG
We have two at the Boat Inn in Fulton and neither were damaged. We have another Grosse one near Home Land Security in Port A nearwhat ever that government place is. Daughter's FIL has one next to it. We got water in those two but no damage. Grosse has been replacing the damaged doors out there on other stalls.

I have four friends from Cline's that have four in a row of Grosse's behind the Salty Dog. No damage to their stalls but lots of water entry. The boats & trailers floated up to the roof. Towers, consoles & engine cowlings were damaged.
Ag_07
AG
I keep seeing barge and tanker used interchangeably especially in that article. Is this really the case?

I've always though of a barge as a flat boat that's pushed by a tug and a tanker as an actual ship with tank capacity.

I'm assuming since this was offshore it's actually a tanker not a barge. But I could be wrong though
sunchaser
AG
They are slot type tugs. The barge is a lot taller than a conventional barge. They yoyo back and forth between the refineries and the tankers.
Daddy-O5
AG
Ag_07 said:

I keep seeing barge and tanker used interchangeably especially in that article. Is this really the case?

I've always though of a barge as a flat boat that's pushed by a tug and a tanker as an actual ship with tank capacity.

I'm assuming since this was offshore it's actually a tanker not a barge. But I could be wrong though.
Probably a tanker barge. What you're describing in your second sentence is more like a deck barge, but barges can vary in capability just like ships. Also some barges are designed/classed for open water just like ships.

I read that article that it is a tanker barge that was headed in from offshore.

https://www.reuters.com/article/texas-barge-fire/two-missing-after-barge-ferrying-crude-oil-catches-fire-in-texas-report-idUSFWN1MV0VN

Edit: Headed into a refinery from offshore carrying crude.
FishingAggie
sunchaser said:

We have two at the Boat Inn in Fulton and neither were damaged. We have another Grosse one near Home Land Security in Port A nearwhat ever that government place is. Daughter's FIL has one next to it. We got water in those two but no damage. Grosse has been replacing the damaged doors out there on other stalls.

I have four friends from Cline's that have four in a row of Grosse's behind the Salty Dog. No damage to their stalls but lots of water entry. The boats & trailers floated up to the roof. Towers, consoles & engine cowlings were damaged.

I'm sorry about your building

There's going to be a shortage on barns. I'm glad yours are ok. Mark's going to sell off all that land he said.

I didn't realize the new codes applied to structures of that kind.
Ag_07
AG
Alright. Thanks for the clarification.

I've just always though of barges as river/channel boats.

Had no idea some were utilized in open water.
Daddy-O5
AG
We load a lot of barges for Jones Act compliance between US ports that hit open/blue water. These tanker barges are fairly common as lightering vessels for some of the massive tankers you will never see on shore. Not really my sector of the industry, but I'm assuming that may be what this barge was doing heading in from offshore.
RickSawyer
AG
Ag_07 said:

Alright. Thanks for the clarification.

I've just always though of barges as river/channel boats.

Had no idea some were utilized in open water.

There are inland (brown water) tows - generally what you see in ICW, and there are ocean going (blue water) tows. Sometimes, not all the times, the ocean going boats have the tug integrated to the box...

The particular tow that caught fire this morning was loaded with 140kb of crude which is certainly an ocean going barge.

The owner was Bouchard, hearing it was on time charter to Trafi.

Pray everyone is safe.
miley
AG
http://i.imgur.com/c0S8t56.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ysEheTd.jpg
sunchaser
AG
No clue if it's this one or not but I see it and others like it very often...

SharkinAg
AG
Good thing it's calm right now
RCR06
AG
From milley's pics it appears to be an integrated barge like sunchaser posted. There is a cut out in the back of the barge that a specially designed tugboat fits into. There is usually a locking system when the tug goes into the cut out that secures it to the barge. Ocean going barge and integrated barge and tug were the most common names I heard people call them.
Salt of the water
AG
Assist for the rookie

sunchaser
AG
....from the Port Aransas South Jetty

"Damaged barge has leaked
Exactly how much oil escaped is unknown
Dan Parker
News editor

Oil has spilled from a gash in a barge where an explosion and fire occurred early today off Port Aransas, according to emergency response officials, but they said they hadn't determined just how much has escaped.
The barge contains about 133,000 barrels of crude oil, according to a Coast Guard news release.
As of early afternoon, oil covered an area about two miles by a quarter of a mile in size, but some of the area was occupied only by a sheen, said Lt. Jennae Steinmiller, a Coast Guard spokesman. She said she didn't know how much has spilled.

The Coast Guard news release described various aspects of the incident but didn't address how much oil has escaped.

Along with the Coast Guard, the Texas General Land Office is one of the lead agencies involved in the response, but a GLO spokesman said she didn't know how much oil had escaped. The spokesman, Brittany Eck, said the GLO hasn't been able to get close enough to make a determination because they hadn't been given an all-clear signal that it's safe to approach and that another explosion won't happen.
The explosion and fire occurred before dawn in the Gulf of Mexico a few miles off the jetties in Port Aransas. The cause of the ignition hasn't been determined.
The Coast Guard received a mayday call from the captain of a tugboat called Buster Bouchard, a Coast Guard news release said. He reported that a barge identified as "B255," attached to his tug, was on fire and two crewmembers were unaccounted for, the release said.
Port Aransas City Manager Dave Parsons reported that one of the crew members died. Another remains missing.

Scot Mogilewski, a Coast Guard command duty officer in Corpus Christi, said the dead crewman was a man but wouldn't identify him further.

The Coast Guard searched throughout the day for the other man and will resume the search at first light in the morning, Mogilewski said.

Eck said responders have deployed a 2,000-foot-long oil containment boom around the barge. They also have 6,000 more feet of booms that can be used, she said.

At least one "skimmer" vessel that can vacuum oil is on the scene, said Rick Adams, the emergency management coordinator with the City of Port Aransas.

He said the oil is leaking in "small amounts" from a gash that is high up the barge wall.
Despite Eck saying the oil covered an area two miles long, Adams said a worst-case scenario would put only "a small amount of oil" on San Jose Island if no containment was conducted.

"Factoring in the containment and cleanup resources that already are underway, the likelihood is very, very small," Adams said."
BMo
I hope the spill is minimal and quickly contained. Coastal wildlife doesn't need any other negative impacts after Harvey.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Wind switches around in the morning, seems like they are getting the best scenario.
sunchaser
AG
It's on the Saint Joe side of the jetties. Wind has been blowing out of the SSE. The only oil that has been reported is in the form of globules on the Mustang Island State Park beach.
jarz94
AG
I fished the surf south of the packery channel this morning. Small black globs of oil were present in the water
water turkey
Prayers for the man's family.
Credible Source
AG
The sunglasses emoji keeps making me think your about to say "just kidding" the whole time
sunchaser
AG
Barge leak stops
Port Aransas beaches mostly clear of oil
Dan Parker
News editor
An estimated 2,000 barrels of crude oil has spilled from a damaged barge off Port Aransas, but it looks like the leak is "contained," according to Rick Adams, the emergency management coordinator with the City of Port Aransas.

No more oil is expected to flow from the barge, Adams said in an update this afternoon (Sunday, Oct. 22).

The barge is anchored three miles off Port Aransas. An offshore cleanup operation using skimming technology reportedly has scooped up slightly more than 1,100 barrels of an oil-water mix, Adams said.
Sixty-seven workers have been cleaning up oil on the beach in Port Aransas today.

Previously closed due to the barge situation, the Aransas Pass waterway between the north and south jetties now is open to boating traffic, he said.

An explosion and fire on the barge occurred before dawn on Friday. The Coast Guard has suspended its search for two crew members who went unaccounted for after the explosion, according to a news release.
"The Coast Guard is ready to resume the search upon receiving any new information on the status or location of the two men," the release said.

"We want to convey our deepest condolences to the families of the two crewmembers," said Capt. Tony Hahn, sector commander of Sector/Air Station Corpus Christi. "Our crews performed an exhaustive search and will continue to remain vigilant and monitor the area closely."
TwoMarksHand
AG
Well I'll say one thing, Sunchaser has a bit and I'll be damned if he doesn't stick to it.
Brush Country
03_Aggie said:

Seven said:

Pretty sure he uses it for most of all of his posts, regardless of content. Wouldn't read too much into it.

You're right but it was prob in poor taste here.
Courtesy Flush
AG
Called off the search for the 2 missing crew members.

http://gcaptain.com/search-suspended-for-missing-barge-crew-suspended-off-texas/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Gcaptain+%28gCaptain.com%29&goal=0_f50174ef03-3b205d4631-169614121&mc_cid=3b205d4631&mc_eid=d57e639ee0
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.