Outdoors
Sponsored by

Oilfield Pipe Fence

20,276 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mts6175
skhsk6
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're having 400' of three rail oilfield pipe fence installed. We're mulling over the best way to treat/paint the pipe. No-climb horse wire will be attached after it's painted, so we're hoping to get as many years as possible out of this initial paint job.
We're considering first treating the pipe with Ospho by spraying it on, letting it dry overnight, then washing it off with a power washer. Thereafter, we're looking at applying Hammerite Rust Cap with a large sponge.
Any advice, tips or suggestions on products or applications will be greatly appreciated.
Old Town Ag
AG
Sell your pipe and install this
MouthBQ98
AG
Anything with a phosphorus treatment that will give it a layer of iron phosphate on the outside will help with rust, though it won't completely prevent it.
GSS
The various coatings and rust found on oilfield pipe very often prevent any DIY prep for painting to be reliable...unless that prep is sandblasting to virgin steel. And epoxy paint is the one type that has lasted beyond a couple of years, at least in our experience.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
NORM laced fences

Dammit, that was supposed to be the winky face
Proc92
Old Town Ag said:

Sell your pipe and install this
what does that run?
hillcountryag86
AG
Your plan is good except for one step. Wouldn't power wash after Ospho. Doesn't take long for slight rust to form. Better to use a steel. Rush and / or rags to get residue off.
Surface prep is the key to a good paint job.
Hammerite is an outstanding Direct To Metal paint. No need for primer.
Jason C.
AG
Somewhere in the depositions for this case there is some very funny stuff about a "rhinoceros' balls glowing in the dark."

http://www.txcourts.gov/media/1438003/140979.pdf

Rhino pen (S Texas ranchers living the dream) made from pipe containing NORM causes rhino to die and rancher to get cancer.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Jason C. said:

Somewhere in the depositions for this case there is some very funny stuff about a "rhinoceros' balls glowing in the dark."

http://www.txcourts.gov/media/1438003/140979.pdf

Rhino pen (S Texas ranchers living the dream) made from pipe containing NORM causes rhino to die and rancher to get cancer.

Yup that sounds like the James McAllen I know. Teetotal ass.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen oil companies in South Texas try (and succeed) to get away with some shady stuff, but I highly doubt McAllen got ankle cancer from NORM.
ought1ag
AG
Here is how the fence crews I've seen paint their pipe fences.

1 - put on long rubber gloves
2- put on cheap car was mits
3 - dunk hands in paint
4 - grab the pipe and start walking
5 - repeat step 3 until finished
AggieRebel
AG
ought1ag said:

3 - dunk hands in paint

When I was young we put in a pipe fence down our driveway. This was by far the most effective way of painting it. Prior to painting we used the rubber gloves and old rags to dip in buckets of ospho to coat the fence.
cbr
AG
watch out, some of that pipe can be fairly radioactive.

i heard of a trailer once from a friend, who took a load of scrap metal to the yard... and all of a sudden there are alarms and flashing lights all around the scale.

radiation alarm!

they scanned everything on the trailer.... aaaaaannnd it turned out to be the trailer.

turns out it was made from oil field scrap and for some reason was pretty freaking hot.

GtownRAB
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

Your plan is good except for one step. Wouldn't power wash after Ospho. Doesn't take long for slight rust to form. Better to use a steel. Rush and / or rags to get residue off.
Surface prep is the key to a good paint job.
Hammerite is an outstanding Direct To Metal paint. No need for primer.
Hammerite is a good paint if you are looking for a quality system while saving money. It is much better than basic oil based paints. I believe they are still made with zinc phosphate, which is great in direct to metal products against corrosion.

If you want a cadillac type system, go with a 2 coat epoxy/urethane system. That is what your industrial painters use and commonly use them on nice fences and ranch equipment/structures. It is a thicker, less permeable system that will last for 10 plus year depending on surface prep and proper application.

DO NOT use standard alkyd/oil based paints. They generally start to chalk and fade in 6-12 months depending on how dark the color is.

Edited to include application - the gloves and car mitts or socks is a great application. If you want it a little cleaner and to look nicer, you can get various size pipe rollers that will curve to fit various size pipes.
The Last Cobra Commander
AG
GSS said:

The various coatings and rust found on oilfield pipe very often prevent any DIY prep for painting to be reliable...unless that prep is sandblasting to virgin steel. And epoxy paint is the one type that has lasted beyond a couple of years, at least in our experience.

Hot dip galvanizing
"The leftist is driven by something other than facts and can't be cured."
Strongweasel97
AG
ought1ag said:

3 - dunk hands in paint
Yep. Nightmares of doing this on pipe and sucker rod around 500 acres as a kid.
rancher1953
I can tell you that Im a expert on pipe fencing. I have75 acres of it around my ranch. I have made the mistakes and it cost me money and time. My first and biggest mistake was buying used pipe. This pipe has salts and other chemicals inside it used in the oil field. They may tell you it is clean, but it is not true. Buy new or reject new pipe. Used pipe will never hold paint no matter what anyone says. I have tried. The best source for sound advice on pipe and what to watch for is a company called Go Bob Pipe. Go to his section on how to buy pipe and learn. Attached is a link.

http://www.gobobpipe.com/

http://gobobpipe.com/howToBuyPipe.htm
DifferenceMaker Ag
I second this. I cannot recommend Bob and his gang highly enough.
GigEm78
AG
Amen Rancher1953
Csruffneck
I build pipe fence for a living (a pretty decent one), spray it with ospho and let it sit for a day, then take a wire brush and knock off all the big stuff left, then get some rags and paint thinner and wipe down all of the pipe. After pipe is dry and no loose rust is visible, hammerite the **** out of it
CS78
Let it rust. Should be good for bout 95 years.
mts6175
AG
Just be sure to wear gloves when using Ospho. Still have small scars on my hands from using it building fence In HS.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.