Outdoors
Sponsored by

Where is your favorite tent camping in Texas?

6,004 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pro Sandy
Waltonloads08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I used to camp all the time as a kid, and now I want to do the same with my family.

I'm actually looking into getting a RTT or Roof Top Tent for my old Land Cruiser, to make it a bit more comfortable for my wife (and me). I'm thinking my 2 year old can sleep in the cargo area of the SUV with Windows cracked, and with a pet fence to keep her from crawling into the cab.

Anyways, I'm out of practice and looking to get back into it. Where is a fun place we can go in the great state of Texas, within 4 hours of Houston?

My initial instincts are Garner, Enchanted Rock, Pedernales, Colorado Bend, and of course the parks just north of Houston.

Thoughts? Opinions? Tips? Jokes?
Astrobo
AG
WaltonLoads08 said:

I'm actually looking into getting a RTT or Roof Top Tent for my old Land Cruiser, to make it a bit more comfortable for my wife (and me). I'm thinking my 2 year old can sleep in the cargo area of the SUV with Windows cracked, and with a pet fence to keep her from crawling into the cab
This has to be BS?
SabineAg
AG
Enchanted rock is hot. Went camping once, day trips only after.
Your Friend
Did 2 nights while backpacking in Lost Maples last winter during the record lows (got down to 18). I enjoyed it
Burnsey
AG
Why don't you just get a regular tent? It would be way cheaper and easier to put up. Not to mention your daughter can stay in there with you versus in the back of your SUV. Or can you not make a weekend?

Maples, Garner. Both are nice. It just depends on how much driving you want to do.
George08
AG
Why would you want a tent on top of your vehicle?

A normal tent with an air mattress is pretty comfortable.
Waltonloads08
AG
Astrobo said:

WaltonLoads08 said:

I'm actually looking into getting a RTT or Roof Top Tent for my old Land Cruiser, to make it a bit more comfortable for my wife (and me). I'm thinking my 2 year old can sleep in the cargo area of the SUV with Windows cracked, and with a pet fence to keep her from crawling into the cab
This has to be BS?

Why's that?
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I don't have a lot of experience but we enjoyed Garner and the hiking was great, challenging but kid friendly. Camped in the new part of the park not the part by the river with all the riff-raff.
Your Friend
RTTs are super popular
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Guadalupe Peak during this time of year. Color in the sky and the trees. Bonus if you hit a new moon and can stay up counting shooting stars and satellites. It's 4 hours if you fly to El Paso on Southwest.

EDIT- sorry, I got a bit ahead of myself. Not a great spot to bring the 2-yo unless you plan on strapping them to your back. And while they have camper camping at base camp, the best camping is going to be on the trails. The best 4x4 camping in Texas in my opinion is Big Bend Ranch State Park. Tons of offroad, scenic trails.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
K_P
AG
This time of year, near Houston, a lake is still essential, IMO.

Close = Lake Livingston SP (recommended for short drive with 2yo)

Farther = Inks Lake SP, personal favorite lake park
agsalaska
Charlie Murphy
Not to derail but I just don't get the rooftop camping phenomenon.
NRH ag 10
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

You just have to go at the right time. When I stayed there overnight low was about 15*.
FSGuide
NRH ag 10 said:

PalomaPachanga said:

You just have to go at the right time. When I stayed there overnight low was about 15*.

Took two of my kids there during spring break this year. Perfect temps. Jacket weather for kids at night and early morning but just beautiful weather.
Waltonloads08
AG
Burnsey said:

Why don't you just get a regular tent? It would be way cheaper and easier to put up. Not to mention your daughter can stay in there with you versus in the back of your SUV. Or can you not make a weekend?

Maples, Garner. Both are nice. It just depends on how much driving you want to do.

Oh boy.

Cheaper, oh hell yes.

Easier to put up? No.

2 year old daughter in our tent? Maybe you had a more complient toddler, but mine will not sleep unless isolated and forced.
SunrayAg
AG
Krause springs private campground in Spicewood is my favorite place within 4 hours of Houston to tent camp. Although it was a bit crowded last time I was there...
Ulrich
I like my RTT because it combines the space and comfort of sleeping in the back of a station wagon with the quick easy access of crawling onto a roof and the protection from heat, cold, and moisture provided by a tent.
MouthBQ98
AG
Garner, Lost Maples, Buescher and Bastrop (almost 1 park), Huntsville, Inks Lake, South Llano, Dinosaur Valley, Ray Roberts, Possum Kingdom, Lake Whitney.

I will say there are a few state parks in the Ouichita mountains and Ozarks in Oklahoma and Arkansas that really put most Texas state parks to shame regarding natural beauty and maintenance, especially if you like mountain streams and such.
normaleagle05
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

Not to derail but I just don't get the rooftop camping phenomenon.

I take it you've never slept on a rock. A thing common on the ground.
chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
Inks Lake is a good one too. The park might be nice for getting back into step with a store, water electric sites, etc. They have primitive sites too. I like the hiking, but I like how you can hit so many easy day trips using Inks as a base camp. Your Texas State Park entry fee lets you get into other state parks for the duration of stay you paid for. From Inks, you can hit Enchanted Rock for a day hike, Longhorn Cavern, etc, then come back to Inks and swim/hike etc
God's Peace,
Chuck

Fifth C Jewelry
Ragoo
AG
Those with a RTT, what kind do you have? I really want a tepui.
This time of year I would probably go east Oklahoma, or west arky.
Waltonloads08
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Garner, Lost Maples, Buescher and Bastrop (almost 1 park), Huntsville, Inks Lake, South Llano, Dinosaur Valley, Ray Roberts, Possum Kingdom, Lake Whitney.

I will say there are a few state parks in the Ouichita mountains and Ozarks in Oklahoma and Arkansas that really put most Texas state parks to shame regarding natural beauty and maintenance, especially if you like mountain streams and such.

Which parks are you thinking about in particular?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Lake Ouachita is beautiful. I spent a spring break camping on an island there.
MouthBQ98
AG
Let me ask my parents. I've only been to a couple, they've been to a bunch of them.
ordord02
All of those hill country sites are great, but are going to put you on the edge or outside of your 4 hour radius. For a first trip I would suggest Sommerville, Huntsville, Bastrop or Buescher. Remember that camping with young kids is completely different than older ones. They don't always do well in adverse conditions and you want them to enjoy their first few trips out. Make it easy to bail if weather gets ugly.

Keep hikes short and focus on plenty of good food and snacks. Kids are just as happy playing in the dirt around camp as they are making a big excursion. Pay attention to what the park might have setup in their nature center too.

Camping with young kids is a lot of fun so long as you have your expectations set properly.
CTGilley
AG
With the young one you may consider Dinosaur Valley in Glen Rose. While you are there you can visit the square and check out Fossil Ridge.
Gone Camping
AG
Garner and Enchanted Rock - usually harder to get a reservation without planning way in advance. Garner was pretty trashed out at the river and on the Baldy trail last time I went. Sad.
Colorado Bend is fun and has plenty of great hiking plus the falls. Restrooms are only latrines. Camp site selection is pretty slim, they're all along the river pretty much side by side. Our boy scouts love it, might be hard to keep a two year old from being distracted at night.
Huntsville and Buescher, as others have mentioned, are both great state parks relatively close to Houston. I personally enjoy Buescher when we go there. Either one would be closer to home if things don't go well with the little one.
We've had all three of our kids in tents before they were 2. We used a pack and play more than once and a battery operated fan for some noise so they would sleep better. Like someone else said earlier, cool snacks and some dirt and the little one will have a blast.
Plan your campout for adults and you'll be disappointed. Plan it to have fun at a 2 year old level and you'll get your little one hooked so you can do bigger and better trips later.
Salt of the water
AG
PINS (Padre Island National Seashore) is 4 hours from Houston and during the fall/winter it's not unbearably hot. Usually not very crowded either outside of the summer unless you happen to show up on Sharkathon weekend.
Martin Cash
AG
Big Bend
FCBlitz
I enjoyed camping at Lake Somerville back in the day.

....others have mentioned great spots but if you are taking your 2 year old Lake Somerville is low pressure. There is also a place outside of Sealy. I will have to look that up but that was a nice enough park.

Garner is my all time favorite for a park. When I was young we would camp all over the place at Lake Amistad.
C ROC N
Outside of Sealy is Stephen F. Austin SP. Lost Maples in the fall is nice!
TheVarian
AG
Love Krause Springs
AGGies0311
Colorado Bend State Park near San Saba is great
Ol_Ag_02
AG
WaltonLoads08 said:

I'm actually looking into getting a RTT or Roof Top Tent for my old Land Cruiser

Can we be friends?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.