Outdoors
Sponsored by

Chainsaw Chain Replacement Help

2,135 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by magnumtmp
AgySkeet06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think Ive confused myself over this by overthinking it but figured I'd ask the mighty OB

I got a matching pole saw attachment for my weedeater for my birthday. Was going stir crazy in the house yesterday so I finally put it together and started trimming some limbs. The manual said to keep checking the chain tension and recommended tightening every 5 or so cuts at the beginning. Well I got in a rhythm and cut a bunch then hit a fat limb and threw the chain. Unfortunately when I threw the chain I also bent 3 of the drive inner links. I tried to straighten out but it just does not slide well anymore in the bar. Likely a cheap factory chain and easier to get a new one then spend time messing with the bent one.

So here is my question. The saw has an 8 inch bar and i measure the chain to be 12 inches long.

So I go by a 12 inch chain right??? Or is that the chainsaw blades are labeled according to the bar size and I would get an 8 inch labeled chain?

Just want to make sure i'm not over thinking this and end up making multiple trips to the store.

Thanks
03_Aggie
Usually bar length. Aftermarket chains will usually same something along the lines of "Fits 18" Echo."
magnumtmp
AG
Usually there will be a 'pitch', which is the distance between drive teeth, and then the number of links.

You could also google replacement chains for your model/brand, of course I'm assuming you didn't try that already.
magnumtmp
AG
This may help.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.