Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bear question for ursus (or other)

2,075 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ursusguy
oldarmy76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you were backpacking in the weminuche from late August thru early September, would you carry bear spray?
Lungblood
I'll be backpacking through the weminuche from late August thru early sept and then again in late September. I've carried bear spray with me the last 6 trips and I'll prob carry again, unless I talk myself out of it at the last minute.
ursusguy
AG
I don't typically carry it in black bear only country.

When I carried it, it was work specific and dealing directly with nuisance bears.
oldarmy76
I've historically brought a .357, but it was stolen last trip and I'm trying to be extra cautious with the amount of weight in my pack. I tend to be overly paranoid regarding bears (thinking every deer, bunny, or even chipmunk that runs through camp during the night is a bear. I've actually not seen one in my dozen or so trips.
But I just read an article about the extreme low risk of bear attack (I think the article cited less than 2 killed by bears in USA per year) and I'm thinking about not carrying anything and trying to get over my fear.
Lungblood, I think we are going to be in pagosa the same night(Friday). Good luck on your hunt. Hopefully the bears stay at cupofjoes house.
ursusguy
AG
Well, roughly 50% of western campsites are visited by bears every night. But unless they find something interesting, they keep moving on.
oldarmy76
Well, that makes me feel better
Lungblood
I don't really even worry about them anymore. I figure I'm more likely to die in a fiery car crash on the drive up.

I'll be there Friday. Gonna try to get a few winks in halfway up the mountain and hit the TH earlyish sat morn
mpl35
AG
Lots of people hike through there in the early fall along the CDT and the Colorado Trail. Most don't carry bear spray.
oldarmy76
Well, I didn't get mauled or eaten. On way home now. I'll try to do a detailed trip report next week.

Legett79
AG
Ran into a black bear last weekend while hunting. First time for me. The bear and I both crapped our pants and ran in different directions. I carry spray and a pistol. Spray for the bears and the pistol to shoot my buddy in the leg while I run away if the spray doesn't work.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jgh85Ag
AG
I love that joke.
eet_mor_beef
AG
Legett79 said:

Ran into a black bear last weekend while hunting. First time for me. The bear and I both crapped our pants and ran in different directions. I carry spray and a pistol. Spray for the bears and the pistol to shoot my buddy in the leg while I run away if the spray doesn't work.

Bear was wearing pants? Is there more to this story?
sawemoffshort85
I went with a group to the Weminuche several years ago at the end of July/early
August. We did the train out of Durango and hiked up Chicago Basin to Columbine pass. Never saw a bear or any sign of bears, for that matter. We did take proper precautions (bear triangle, bear bags, etc.). The only animal issues we had was the ever present mountain goats and one grumpy marmot on top of Columbine Pass.
rather be fishing
AG
eet_mor_beef said:

Legett79 said:

Bear was wearing pants? Is there more to this story?
Pretty sure he was trying to sell a tool box.
ursusguy
AG
This almost begs for a picture of a black "bear"....but no way in hell I am searching.

And this is the exact reason I went with ursus and not standard "bear guy".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.