Outdoors
Sponsored by

Valid?? - copperheads in trees

10,878 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agent-maroon
f burg ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dr. Boogs lost on the under.....
f burg ag
AG
How many? And before I get blasted for not letting them go....I have 6 kids ranging from ages 4 to 12 running around tomorrow night around the couple acres I found these, so living was not an option. None were in a tree....but it was 10PM and they could have been watching me from the above oak trees and I would never know.

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
14?
f burg ag
AG

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
f burg ag
AG
The battery went out on my Veridian after #5, so I but on my snake boots and went gigging with my son's spear for #6 through #11.
Serious Lee
thats a neat pic cause except for the 3 on the left they all look to have a different color pattern
LisaMarie
AG
I'm not judging you for wanting to protect your family, however, there is a reason you have snakes on your property. There is a food source or shelter they seek there. Do you have piles of brush or debris? Long grass? Also, killing snakes is a false sense of security. For the one you see, there are several more you don't. Furthermore, by removing a snake from the population you're opening up resources for another one to slither right into its place. The key to avoiding snake bites is education. Kids are super smart. If they can learn not to touch the stove, run into the street, stick their fingers in a light socket, etc., they can certainly be taught to watch for snakes and not to touch them. If you know you live in snake country, proper footwear (no flip flops or bare feet) and vigilance are essential. As the parent you should check out the kids' toys and outdoors area often before they head out to play. Snakes bite as a last resort. If you don't touch them/step on them and give them space they will not hurt you. Unfortunately a lot of people have the mentality that the only good snake is a dead snake but that is not true. A lot of people are very set in their ways with snakes but I always try to change their minds! Worth a shot, to me.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Is there a way to get non-venomous snakes to replace copper heads in a yard's eco system?
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

Kids are super smart. If they can learn not to touch the stove, run into the street, stick their fingers in a light socket, etc., they can certainly be taught to watch for snakes and not to touch them.
This. Spend some time teaching kids about snakes and they're far less likely to get bitten. The most likely outcome is that they will discover that you have way more snakes living around you than you ever thought possible. You might even find yourself becoming tired of being asked, "Can we keep him? Please?"

Not to worry about that last part. Snakes make great pets.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.