Outdoors
Sponsored by

Eagle Scout Ceremony question

2,366 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Tailgate88
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am an Eagle Scout and now Assistant Scoutmaster. (My son is Life and working on Eagle too, proud dad!) But I'm also a proud Uncle because my nephew has Eagled and has his ceremony coming up in August. He has asked me to be a part of the ceremony in some way, but does not know how. I'm not sure either. I've only been to one Eagle ceremony in recent years and it was short and sweet, but this will be a bigger production at their church. (His Troop is large and very active.)

So fellow Scouters, any suggestions? I was thinking about giving a short talk about the points of the Scout Law but would be interested in other input.

Thanks!
will.mcg
AG
Does their ceremony include a speech by a "former eagle scout"? In my troop this was Dads, Government officials, cool acquaintances,fire chief, etc. Perhaps you could give a congratulatory speech? If not then you could give the charge/challenge.
SabineAg
AG
I was a part of a smaller troop, maybe 2 kids per eagle ceremony typically. Anyways each kid that eagled, had asked a mentor to say a few words about them. Typically the mentor would talk about watching them grow up and become men and such. Not sure if applicable in your case but it was always nice/funny to hear stories of their experiences along the way
elnaco
AG
Bagpipes always spice up any ceremony
DrEvazanPhD
elnaco said:

Truth. I wore a kilt to mine.
Satellite of Love
DrEvazanPhD said:

elnaco said:

Truth. I wore a kilt to mine.
You Scots find any reason to cross dress!
AtlAg05
AG
I had someone read the 2 out of 100 writing on how many kids get Eagle out of those that start, at my ceremony. Only time it's good to be a 2%'er

Shared a ceremony with a friend but pretty sure it was a few adults that we asked to speak. I bet there are standard formats on the Boy Scout website.

Don't forget refreshments afterwards .
will.mcg
AG
Cake is a MUST
Tailgate88
AG
Thanks all. There will be cake. In fact they are having dinner after!
JayG80
500 Duke Knife - Buck Knives Makes a nice gift for an Eagle. It is engraved and reasonably priced.

https://www.buckknives.com/licensed/
b.astutus
AG
Here's what I did for my son's Eagle ceremony. Well ahead of the completion date of his Eagle Project, I wrote both our state & national congressmen, told of his Eagle accomplishment, and asked for flag (Texas & US) that was flown over the Austin & DC capital buildings on the date of his project completion. They gladly obliged with a short congratulatory note and both flags were presented to him at the ceremony.
Both flags are in his Scout "stuff" now. These flags are a neat add on and free of charge.
Caliber
AG
Caliber
AG
Do the buck knife as listed above. Present it as part of the ceremony.
elnaco
AG
That's a great idea.
ntxaggie
Many troops use a scripted ceremony, so it may be that you have a part in that. My son's had a candle lighting thing, and different people read the bits about what each candle stood for. The other speakers are topically similar to graduation/motivational speeches - anything about achievement, leadership, perseverance, etc. is appropriate.
triggerhappy
AG
b.astutus said:

Here's what I did for my son's Eagle ceremony. Well ahead of the completion date of his Eagle Project, I wrote both our state & national congressmen, told of his Eagle accomplishment, and asked for flag (Texas & US) that was flown over the Austin & DC capital buildings on the date of his project completion. They gladly obliged with a short congratulatory note and both flags were presented to him at the ceremony.
Both flags are in his Scout "stuff" now. These flags are a neat add on and free of charge.

This. My old man did this for all 4 of his eagle scout sons. He got a kick out of mine being from March 4th, the only day that issues a command.
HumbleAg04
AG
Get the Margarita machine for the post ceremony party!
La Fours
AG
b.astutus said:

My mom did the same for me when earned my Eagle.
The_Waco_Kid
AG
My dad was out of state the last year of my path to eagle. When I got mine, he flew up and was probably the proudest I've ever seen him of me, literally beaming from ear to ear.
He spoke a few words, mostly acknowledging and thanking the adults of the troop for assisting me along the way, no matter how difficult I was (being only 14 at the time.) My parents had written in to all former presidents (except Clinton and Carter) and got their well-wishes for the day.

Probably the most memorable part was my scoutmaster telling the story of me trying to get a fire started in Iowa in February, with thirty mile an hour winds. I couldn't get it going, so he dumped diesel on it and torched the fire. I got a reputation about being horrible at making fires since, and his present to me was a cheap grill lighter, so I'd never go cold again.

I used up that lighter burning ants by the pool the next day.

Probably your best bet is to share a small story, almost in a roasting style, and give a small present. It'll mean more than you know, as it's a nice little memory to have. A good eagle ceremony leaves hardly a dry eye in the place.

Thanks, Knotman. You'd be surprised just how often that day is remembered.
Tailgate88
AG
Just wanted to say thanks for the good ideas and stories!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.