Outdoors
Sponsored by

2017 Hurricane Season

665,748 Views | 3704 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Swarely
45-70Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just saw these dams were built in '45 and have never been opened due to a rain event.
Salt of the water
AG
Katy Prarie used to soak up a bunch more water. Concrete development has reduced that capacity.
Post removed:
by user
Premium
AG
Sasappis said:

mazzag said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Premium said:

Irish_Man said:

Are they saying they're about to flood a portion of Houston to relieve a greater part of the city?

Along this line... who will it help and who will it mess up?

Well it's either flood a portion with a controlled release, or risk an uncontrolled release that could have bigger implications isn't it?

Someone needs to answer for it coming to this in the first place. This city and decisions will be studied for years. You can't control unprecedented amounts of rain but I've known since Thursday it was possible. Folks in charge should have too.
Out of curiosity, what do you think people should answer for?

Knowing that 30"+ inches of rain was coming doesn't do much good.

There should have been selective evacuations. You don't have to evacuate the entire city. Turner asked, what areas should we suggest evacuate when everywhere floods. How about anywhere that flooded this time last year. How about anyone down stream from a reservoir that may need to release water all over their homes. You don't need to evacuate 6 million. The number is much less. The more I'm seeing how big of a disaster this is going to be, the more the decision is going to be magnified.
Post removed:
by user
harge57
AG
Why can't those people evacuate on their own? I would have been gone as soon as I saw AFAs forecast if my house flooded last year.
agsalaska
AG
Nonsense. Selective evacuations don't work. People are lemmings. Plus if you feel like you need to leave the government shouldn't have to tell you that. Thousands left or stayed with friends on higher ground.

Stop trying to blame someone. It's a 500 year flood and so far what 2 people are dead? The fact that it's not hundreds should be celebrated.
cadetjay02
AG
Good video of Port Aransas if you haven't seen it yet.

https://www.facebook.com/TomPastranoNews9/posts/1946712512210454

mazzag
AG
Because we're lemmings and if our leaders say it's not necessary, then it's not. They have more info than we do and while common sense says leave, laziness and finances make us trust our government. Especially local government that's in tune with other government agencies, unlike us. This has been predicted to be unprecedented since at least Thursday.
OE_Ag11
AG
Sasappis said:

Irish_Man said:

Just saw these dams were built in '45 and have never been opened due to a rain event.
And Barker's historical high is 95.2'. They are talking a crest well over that.
They are already at 99ft, tax day flood was 102ish so they are rightfully nervous spillway is at 110 so they are trying to get it down controlled while they can is my guess.

I wish they would let us know what areas of the dam they were worried about structurally also top of dam is listed at 117 so that's scary as hell as well if this thing keeps going how it has. I don't know if the spillway could hold up with the amount of flow they have been getting. if the top is crested that is millions of people in the way of a lot of very fast moving water and is something I have been watching due to my proximity to the dam
agsalaska
AG
Which was too late. Not hard to understand.
Post removed:
by user
htxag09
AG
I'm not arguing about whether or not there should have been evacuations, but celebrating a death toll of 2 is a little premature. Absolutely no recovery done yet, that number means nothing of what the final number could be. I hope it doesn't rise but am afraid it absolutely will.
mazzag
AG
Death shouldn't equate disaster. Fwiw, rr have shut down, gulf rigs have closed, refineries have closed, small businesses are flooded. We are economically ****ed for a while. I don't live in Houston but sheet rolls uphill too and this is disastrous.
mazzag
AG
Evacuations would have put less strain on federal, state and local resources. Not to mention neighbors doing good deeds and no paycheck is coming next week.
agsalaska
AG
Of course not. That's not my point. Finding blame in the city or state leaders is senseless. That's my point. Especially saying they knew since 'at least Thursday'. You realize it hit Friday night right?

NM I don't want to argue with you. Go find your blame.
agsalaska
AG
mazzag said:

Evacuations would have put less strain on federal, state and local resources. Not to mention neighbors doing good deeds and no paycheck is coming next week.

The more I see people pretend that was an option and using their imagination to place blame the harder I laugh.
longeryak
dubi said:

Oruc Reis said:

What happens if your home gets destroyed by a flood but you are outside of a flood plain and don't have flood insurance? Does homeowners cover it?
No.

I buy flood insurance and live outside a flood zone.

If you don't live on a hill, I think everyone in the greater Houston area probably should.
If you don't live in a flood zone then flood insurance is really cheap. Everyone should have flood insurance as all water damage falls under the policy. Roof leak? Whatever happens inside the home is a flood claim. Pipe burst? The same. Washer hose burst? The same.
07fta07
AG
mazzag said:

Who exactly would have saved the thousands stranded on the road?
carpe vinum
AG
siap

https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
AustinCountyAg
Ben digging trenches in the backyard to try and help with draining since about one. Backyard is turning into a lake and started to get worried about water possibly entering back door. Been getting pounded with rain in Bellville. Sitting inside watching it rain now after taking a shower and eating supper. I feel very helpless. I want to go back outside and do something, but their is literally nothing else I can do. A very helpless feeling waiting and praying for this rain to stop.
saltydog13
AG
I thought those were covered under normal policies?
ilikeit
longeryak said:

dubi said:

Oruc Reis said:

What happens if your home gets destroyed by a flood but you are outside of a flood plain and don't have flood insurance? Does homeowners cover it?
No.

If you don't live on a hill, I think everyone in the greater Houston area probably should.
If you don't live in a flood zone then flood insurance is really cheap. Everyone should have flood insurance as all water damage falls under the policy. Roof leak? Whatever happens inside the home is a flood claim. Pipe burst? The same. Washer hose burst? The same.
All property is in a Flood zone, when people say they aren't in a flood zone they are actually in zone X.
All water claim are not covered under flood insurance, the only peril covered under flood ins. is
rising water and that is it. Roof leaks and pipes are covered on your homeowners policy.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Probably worried about the base of the dam/area near the spillway washing out if it goes over.
Post removed:
by user
EMY92
AG
Though the roof, broken pipes, wind driven through windows or holes in walls is covered by standard homeowner's insurance.

If the water comes in as flood waters, that is not covered except under flood insurance.
saltydog13
AG
Got it thanks. Buying it after this no matter what. $500 a year is cheap insurance.
NotGibbs
Does anyone have a flood map for the Ad***** release? Sounds like we're in the flood zone, but can't find a map
ilikeit
saltydog09 said:

Got it thanks. Buying it after this no matter what. $500 a year is cheap insurance.
Remember there is a 30 day waiting period
Southpaw 07
AG
I'm wondering the same thing, except more concerned about impact of a release from the emergency spillway on the North end of the dam.
RickSawyer
AG
NotGibbs said:

Does anyone have a flood map for the Ad***** release? Sounds like we're in the flood zone, but can't find a map

I know this isn't perfect but hopefully helps.

idAg09
longeryak said:

dubi said:

Oruc Reis said:

No.

Please don't spread false information...
johnrth
Good Job Southwest https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/08/27/us/southwest-humanitarian-airlift-hobby-airport/index.html
jabberwalkie09
AG
Thanks, was looking for that for a family member.
jabberwalkie09
AG
johnrth said:

Good Job Southwest https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/08/27/us/southwest-humanitarian-airlift-hobby-airport/index.html

I've had some sketchy flights before, but that's going to be one hell of a ride out of Houston.
First Page Last Page
Page 81 of 106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.