Outdoors
Sponsored by

2017 Hurricane Season

665,728 Views | 3704 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Swarely
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry, just realized I responded to you not him. But if I had to bet on one person making it from DFW to his family on the coast it's this guy, he's actually my BIL's brother.
HTownAg98
Port Aransas news conference from this afternoon. Please share if you have people that live in Port Aransas or own property there.
https://www.facebook.com/voncastorstormtracker/videos/992701090869566/
Post removed:
by user
Badace52
AG
My friend in Houston was just sent this: If you can help PM me and I can give you their cell #.

Actually I'm just going to post the number here. Please don't call unless you can help now. Her name is Anh. Cell: 832-863-5736

These people need help now.
Is this something you could post on TXAgS?

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GinaLinetti
AG
Post on Cajun navy Facebook page with address and contact information
mazzag
AG
I am so sorry. I have Spring/Magnolia friends that live in areas that never flood and made "Funnys" on Facebook about hurricane survival. Some are still complaining about school closures. This isn't a "ride it out" weather event.
Badace52
AG
Will do... Is the cajun navy there yet?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
45-70Ag
AG
Are they saying they're about to flood a portion of Houston to relieve a greater part of the city?
Premium
AG
Irish_Man said:

Are they saying they're about to flood a portion of Houston to relieve a greater part of the city?

Along this line... who will it help and who will it mess up?
aggiespartan
AG
Irish_Man said:

I believe they are releasing some water so that dams are not a complete failure, which they expect would happen if no water was released.
Ignatius_of_Silesia
Have to keep the water level down in River Oaks.
GinaLinetti
AG
Yes. They have been on the ground for a couple of hour with more coming. Make sure they have good contact info
Premium
AG
aggiespartan said:

Irish_Man said:

I believe they are releasing some water so that dams are not a complete failure, which they expect would happen if no water was released.

so who gets flooded because of this and who does it help
jabberwalkie09
AG
Premium said:

Irish_Man said:

Well it's either flood a portion with a controlled release, or risk an uncontrolled release that could have bigger implications isn't it?
aggiespartan
AG
I'm not sure what communities are downstream from the dams, but technically it would help everyone, since if the dams fail everyone would be in worse shape.
Premium
AG
I see, mainly trying to figure out what communities were going to get flooded because of it and how bad it would be.
SteveBott
AG
They cannot let the damns and levees fail. Think walls of water hitting whole subdivisions in seconds
TKEAg04
AG
Paradise Ag said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

Returned from farm. Got all but 6 cows out of the bottom.

Allen's Creek is roaring, but they could swim.

We saved our hay crop.

But we are tired and don't see an end in sight.

Hang in there, amigo.

Whole bunch of Aggies out here rootin' hard for you and yours.
mazzag
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Premium said:

Irish_Man said:

Well it's either flood a portion with a controlled release, or risk an uncontrolled release that could have bigger implications isn't it?

Someone needs to answer for it coming to this in the first place. This city and decisions will be studied for years. You can't control unprecedented amounts of rain but I've known since Thursday it was possible. Folks in charge should have too.
Oruc Reis
AG
What happens if your home gets destroyed by a flood but you are outside of a flood plain and don't have flood insurance? Does homeowners cover it?
mazzag
AG
No
45-70Ag
AG
So you're just out of luck?
07fta07
AG
That's why you buy flood insurance. Bc sometimes **** happens that's never happened before.
03_Aggie
third coast.. said:

Trying to get on a plane today to fly in to dfw and rent a car and drive down. Going to be a long few days.

Shoot me an email if you need someone to check in on them. I know the flooding has created "islands" but if we can get over there we can check in.

A_white03 Hot mail
Oruc Reis
AG
So thousands of people will be financially ruined by this storm? That's devastating. If you're a homeowner you are screwed. How does one crawl out of a hole like that?
dubi
AG
Oruc Reis said:

What happens if your home gets destroyed by a flood but you are outside of a flood plain and don't have flood insurance? Does homeowners cover it?
No.

I buy flood insurance and live outside a flood zone.

If you don't live on a hill, I think everyone in the greater Houston area probably should.
mm98
AG
I'm in katy and have been following this all day.
Assuming I understand it all correctly, the release of the Barker Reservior will put more water into Buffalo Bayou, but also create and overflow back upstream into parts of Katy. Basically east Cinco, Grand Lakes, and most of the area east of 99 and south of Westheimer.
SteveBott
AG
After declaring a disaster area the Feds will offer very low cost loans but that and generosity is it
saltydog13
AG
I didn't buy flood insurance because it was nowhere near the house when it flooded last year. I'm thinking I'm buying flood insurance even if we don't flood this time just to CYA
DallasAggies01
AG
The SBA covers loans for primary residences due to flood loss that don't have flood insurance in disaster zones. It's typically a low rate loan. My MIL had to use it after her house on the Guadalupe flooded in 1998 a month after she bought it. She hadn't gone in to sign the paperwork for flood insurance before the floods came.

It's typically a 1-2% loan.
JobSecurity
AG
mm98 said:

I'm in katy and have been following this all day.
Assuming I understand it all correctly, the release of the Barker Reservior will put more water into Buffalo Bayou, but also create and overflow back upstream into parts of Katy. Basically east Cinco, Grand Lakes, and most of the area east of 99 and south of Westheimer.

And for ad*****?
Post removed:
by user
mm98
AG
No clue on Ad*****. Our county constable has been keeping us updated via Nextdoor.com for Barkers since we're in FBCo. .

Premium
AG
So, why are we entering the NIGHT with this release of information about reservoirs? This sounds like piss poor planning and communication in the works. Don't you think people would have evacuated if there was even a remote possibility that a release of water would cover their homes???
Post removed:
by user
First Page Last Page
Page 80 of 106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.