Outdoors
Sponsored by

But I don't get a smoke ring on a kamodo.... DERP

6,750 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 35chililights
AustinAgChef
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I beg to differ.

AustinAgChef
35chililights said:

Well, for starters, you're not really smoking if you are just using lump charcoal. The faint smoke you are seeing is just the rest of the incomplete carbonization of your lump charcoal leaving.

Second, if you aren't putting any sugar on the outside of the meat, and only doing salt and pepper, you'll see no carmalization of of said sugars.

I'm sure it is good, but you are essentially slowly heating up a steak.

You serious, Clark?

I have never and will never put sugar on a brisket and it is in no way necessary to achieve a great bark.
AustinAgChef
Which will be an even longer wait since you FORGOT your roll of butcher paper when you left.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

I have never and will never put sugar on a brisket and it is in no way necessary to achieve a great bark.
Was wondering how long it would take someone to pounce on that one...no sugar in my rub for sure.
35chililights
AG
First of all, I never said he had to have sugar in his rub.

Maybe I should have worded it a little bit different. What I was trying to get across, is that in the absence of smoke, the only way to get a darker bark would be the caramelization of sugars from the rub ( and since I've never tried it without smoke I don't even know that this would work, because sugar caramelizes above 300 ).

And I will not apologize for the small amount of sugar in my rub, I think it helps keep the spices in place longer. The small proportion isn't big enough for flavor enhancement.
AustinAgChef
To each their own. I was just pointing out that you don't need sugar to get a bark. And I stand by that with using wood or charcoal.
35chililights
AG
And I sure didn't mean to imply that sugar was necessary for good bark either. After going back and reading it from a different view, I can see where it was confusing.

I like discussing the finer things in life. Like smoked meat.

Edited for spelling.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.