Outdoors
Sponsored by

ID farm equipment

2,166 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by eric76
rllguitar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad brought home this old two row planter the other day. We don't know much about it, other than the obvious (it's a two row planter).

Anyone have any insight into what we've got or What kind of adjustments can be made to it? What do the discs on the back do?

CanyonAg77
AG
I think it might be an IH. A type we call a buster planter. The front sweep "busts" out a furrow, the seed drops, and the discs toss the loose soil back on top of the planted seed.

It also appears the discs are geared to the plate, which is the slotted ring in the bottom of the box that portions out the seed.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Paging canyon.

Edit: He beat me to it.
CanyonAg77
AG
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

Paging canyon.

Ha! Already saw my bat-signal. But you need someone with International Harvester experience. These aren't Deere, so my knowledge is limited.
rllguitar
AG
* Of note, there are zero markings that we can find anywhere in the equipment.
CanyonAg77
AG
When we had a Deere planter on the same principle, we would "list" the ground in the spring, that is, create beds and furrows, and we would irrigate down the furrows. Come planting time, you run the "buster sweep" (big plow in the front) down the middle of the beds.

The idea is to peel off weeds and dry dirt, and just plow deep enough to get the seed into good moisture. Then the little chisel in the middle scratches out a furrow for the seed, and the discs run at a little bit of a toed-out angle to throw dirt back on top of the seed.

Your discs on the side are geared to a mechanism to rotate the plate, the ring at the bottom of the hopper. Looks like your plate has about 8 holes in it to drop seed. As it rotates, the holes fill from the hopper, go under the little mechanism at 10 o'clock of picture three, and drop the seed down a tube.

The wing nut at the bottom will probably remove to allow you to remove and change the plates for different types of seed.

As far as adjustments, you'll need to either hold your depth with the tractor 3-point hitch, or add gauge wheels to hold a constant depth. Ideally, you'll run it pretty level, but you may have to run it a little nose low to get the busters to dig in. You can't run too far on the nose, or it will lift the row units out of the ground. The chisel in front of the seed tube might also be vertically adjustable.

The single spring on the front of each unit is to adjust down pressure. It also appears that the discs have adjustments so you can adjust the toe-in. The wing nut on the back of the hopper is to remove it to dump it out and clean it.

Next time, look for a John Deere 71 flex planter. Much more versatile, new enough (1960s) to still have parts.

CanyonAg77
AG
rllguitar said:

I beg to differ. Look at the round logo at the far left of this image.

Here it is again, on the top right of this clamp/

Looks like the part number on that clamp is P0772_ I can't read the last number. It's possible a Case-IH dealer might be able to look up that part number, and identify the planter.

I'll have to admit, I'm having a darn hard time finding any planter configured like this one.
rllguitar
AG
Wow. Thanks canyon for all the info... and for spotting the markings. We looked right past them!

I'm going to do some digging as well and see what info we can come up with.
JD05AG
AG
Times have changed a little.
CanyonAg77
AG
You're welcome and good luck.

The thing I can't Google up is the discs that drive the plate. I can't find any photo of a planter that drives the seed plate from the cover discs. I'm not even sure of the era. It could be as old as the 30s, but my first impression is 1950s. However, I don't know how late they were using the IHC logos.

I'd take the photos by the local co-op and Case dealer, see if anybody can remember the unit.
Micropterus
AG
Thats definitely an old IH planter. I'm pretty sure Dad had one like that covered up in an old fencerow for years down at the farm. Its still there, he's gone now. He could tell you about any piece of IH equipment from the 1930's through the 80's, and I know he'd be able to tell you the exact model of that one. Thats one if the reasons I love old equipment so much - reminds me of him.
But like Canyon said, I beleive those listers in the back were sort of a bed shaper, a precursor to the press wheel.
eric76
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

Paging canyon.

Ha! Already saw my bat-signal. But you need someone with International Harvester experience. These aren't Deere, so my knowledge is limited.
I grew up driving Internationals (trucks, tractors, pickups, and combines), but haven't seen that planter before. That said, it is mainly just two planters on a toolbar.

It would take a very long time to plant a section or two with one of those so it's not surprising we didn't have one.
eric76
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

rllguitar said:

I beg to differ. Look at the round logo at the far left of this image.

Here it is again, on the top right of this clamp/

Looks like the part number on that clamp is P0772_ I can't read the last number. It's possible a Case-IH dealer might be able to look up that part number, and identify the planter.

I'll have to admit, I'm having a darn hard time finding any planter configured like this one.
Maybe P07729

The third picture has a picture with a number stamped on it that begins with P and appears to end with 9.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.