Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cattle panel fences are outdoors

20,042 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Brush Country
proc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any fence building experts here? We are looking to build on some acreage and are contemplating a cattle panel fence so we can keep the lab, and actually still see the acreage. The obvious question is cost per linear foot, compared to a traditional wooden privacy fence.

And this is a cattle panel fence, if anyone is wondering.

TwoMarksHand
AG
What's your question?

edit: are you asking the difference in cost between cow paneling and a privacy fence?
proc
AG
Yes.
Brush Country
We get people who want this style all the time....until we give them the price.

Really nice looking fence, but the materials and labor required to build it are high. Of course, there are a lot of variations of that type of fence, some designs are simpler and some are more intricate.

Maybe you'll get lucky and find someone who will do a nice job on the cheap, but I'd ballpark that fence at about $25-$35/LF, whereas the standard DE privacy fence will be somewhere in the range of $17-25.

Also, plan on really feeling the pain if you want to use cedar like pictured....we have seen the cost of cedar dimensions go thru the roof in the last 3 or 4 months.

Good luck.
schmellba99
AG
There are a lot more options out there besides privacy and cattle panel.

Have you looked into a single, 3 or 4 rail horse fence with wire fabric between the rails and posts? Keeps the dogs in, lets you see beyond the fence, isn't nearly as expensive as a cattle panel fence.

Single rail horse fence:

3 rail horse fence:

SWCBonfire
AG
I can tell you one thing, a horizontal board in Texas is not a prescription for longevity. If you're going to do it, make sure it cups down or put a slight pitch on it so that water sheets off. Goes the same for the top of your posts.

I think I would actually prefer to do the cattle panel/treated lumber route if doing it myself. I damn sure wouldn't pay someone to do it, it will be more labor - but materials should be reasonable.

You could always find garden fence (light gauge wire with the hooped top) and just set round treated posts, doesn't look bad.
drummer0415
AG
Built a two piece/panel gate across my driveway and about 20 LF of a fence just like that at my house. It came out super nice and looks great, but it was a lot of work and wasn't cheap. And I didn't even use cedar. I used treated pine, let it dry out several months, then applied a Thompsons water sealer/stain product to it.

Also, if you go to Tractor Supply and see different types of wire mesh panel they offer, there are many different opening sizes with many different names. The one you have pictured isn't called cattle panel. The openings of the wire mesh on cattle panel are like 8"x16" or something like that. The 4"x4" mesh pictured is called utility panel. Then there is also hog panel, horse panel, etc.
proc
AG
Thanks for the good info.
Csruffneck
I have a welding business and i build fence more than anything else I do. Using 2 7/8 or 2 3/8" pipe and cattle panel labor is gonna run starting at $7.50/ft
Maedan86
AG
Love it. I have the same fence and have it around my deck as well. Would send pic but don't have that privilege
Brush Country
That's right. Unfortunately people refer to all of them as hog panel. When they come into to our store to buy their "hog panels", we take them out to the 34"x16' sheets and they immediately see the taller utility panels and say "I want those hog panels". When we then inform them that they want utility panels and not hog panels, they usually look at us like we are the worlds biggest *****s.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Why not just build a regular fence using "anti climb" wire?
frorge
AG
I'm in a similar boat and planning on building my own top rail fence. I was pricing metal from my local dealer and square tubing was cheaper per foot and wouldn't require me saddling the posts. Any issue using this?

I was thinking either 2.5" or 3" 14 gauge.
Csruffneck
14 ga. Is really thin. Its inbetween 1/16" & 1/8". Not real sturdy. What were you thinking about using as posts?
drummer0415
AG
For reference. I don't have an exact dollar amount, but what you see here cost me somehere between $500-600, and that was me doing the work myself. So no labor cost. It is 4.5 feet tall at the driveway.

MattyAg
AG
You might consider an invisible fence if it it just to keep the lab in. I have a 3 rail corral fence with wire and still had to install the invisible fence as my lab would dig under, climb over and sometimes jump a 4ft fence.
MouthBQ98
AG
What about conventional posts and woven horsewire?
frorge
AG
Same. I was thinking 8 ft posts buried 3 ft. 10 ft apart. I thought I read that 2.5" 14 ga was similar in "bending" strength to 2" sch 40 pipe. Which I assume is what is normally used.

This would just be for keeping in a couple dogs.

Also sorry for high jacking your thread.
Csruffneck
I use either 2 3/8" or 2 7/8" oilfield pipe. Its not that expensive depending on where you get it. On panel fences post spacing depends on what type of panel you prefer. The cheaper cattle panel comes in 8' & 16' sections while the more expensive 4x4 panel comes in 20' sections. So for the cheaper panel I set posts & 8' and on the 4x4 panel I set them @ 10'. That way you land the seems on a post and it looks alot better. In my opinion a 14 ga. Fence just isnt strong enough.
Kenneth_2003
AG
If you use oilfield tubing, make sure that what you buy is weldable... If you plan on trying to weld it.
Not all tubulars can easily be welded.
Brush Country
Maybe ruffneck has a good source, but in my experience, used bare pipe is almost as expensive these days as new galv Sch 40, the sources are unreliable, and as Kenneth said, some of it is so magnetic you cant weld it.

Plus its galv so it looks nice and matches the finish of the panels.
proc
AG
A lot of good info in this thread. What is the cost difference on utility panel vs no climb fabric mesh?
MouthBQ98
AG
The horse wire (no climb) comes in 100 or 200ft or rarely larger rolls. It's not that expensive. I'm in the process of using several hundred feet of it to face an existing barbed wire fence.
ENG
AG
Let me know if you DIY this and I will make trip down to help
Brush Country
proc said:

A lot of good info in this thread. What is the cost difference on utility panel vs no climb fabric mesh?

We retail a 200' Stay Tuff class 3 48" no-climb for around $300 a roll, and a class 1 Redbrand for $249/roll, so the cost is at most $1.50/ft

We sell a 48"x20' utility panel for $39.99/sheet, so the cost is $2.00/ft.
frorge
AG
Thoughts on the No-Climb horse fencing vs. welded wire fencing of similar dimensions?
proc
AG
ENG said:

Let me know if you DIY this and I will make trip down to help
You are awesome. I am months away from a decision point, but I will be sure to stock up on goats if you come down.
Brush Country
frorge said:

Thoughts on the No-Climb horse fencing vs. welded wire fencing of similar dimensions?
From a contractor perspective, its a lot easier to do a fence with a woven wire. I personally think it looks just as nice, but people really like the panels, for whatever reason. Believe it or not we get a fair amount of people who know more about fencing than we do and they claim their cattle/horse/goats/dog/cats/insert other small property make believe ranch livestock here will go thru a high-tensile field fence with a breaking strength of 1300 lbs or more, so they need a heavier panel.

Brush Country
Wow, sorry for the poor pic, seems like that's the best I can get right now.
Corps_Ag12
AG
My fence looks exactly like this one & keeps in two horses at 1100 lbs each.

drummer0415
AG
proc said:

I will be sure to stock up on goats if you come down.

ENG
AG
drummer0415 said:

proc said:

I will be sure to stock up on goats if you come down.

proc
LSB_2002
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

My fence looks exactly like this one & keeps in two horses at 1100 lbs each.

Where did you buy your "no-climb"?
Csruffneck
I can get pipe for anywhere from $.90/ft to $1.40/ft. And ive never gotten any I couldnt weld. If you are talkin about magnetized pipe its a lil complicated but weldable.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.