Outdoors
Sponsored by

Murder of standing Chinese Tallow?

5,334 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Build It
Build It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Three trees over 20'. I can not cut them down as they are on neglected neighborhood owned land behind my back yard. I've been trimming back but now they are too high and stealing sun from my citrus trees.

I would like to kill them where they stand as trying to convince the neighborhood to do it is a pain in the ass. How do you kill a standing 20' tree?

toolshed
AG
Blow darts poisoned with Remedy?
Allen76
AG
You can girdle the bark with a hatchet.

Build It
AG
Allen76 said:

Tried it but didn't work. Evil ******* healed over.
Deats99
AG
You are welcome.
how to kill plants

Page 14

Fruits of a misspent youth
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
SunrayAg
AG
Chainsaw late at night and you didn't hear anything, and didn't see anything, and don't know anything about it...

But actually, if somebody else owns the land, the best thing to do would be to convince them that it is a noxious invasive species (which it is), and then volunteer to remove them.
Centerpole90
AG
Is Harvey Updike out on parole yet?
Build It
AG
Deats,
Thanks I saw a similar document on the inter webs but they all seem to be for a trunk diameter less than 4".

Allen76
AG
Build It said:

Allen76 said:

I added a picture. Do it similar to that and it cannot possibly heal over. If you just do a single hatchet blade cut, it will definitely heal over.
Build It
AG
SunrayAg said:

Chainsaw late at night and you didn't hear anything, and didn't see anything, and don't know anything about it...

But actually, if somebody else owns the land, the best thing to do would be to convince them that it is a noxious invasive species (which it is), and then volunteer to remove them.

The association is busy removing invasive species from their wetland habitat project. The little strip of land behind my fence is low priority. I can cut them down and get away with it but they are hanging over my fence so cutting down will have to be top down. I'm not equipped for that.
Build It
AG
Allen76 said:

Build It said:

Allen76 said:

I added a picture. Do it similar to that and it cannot possibly heal over. If you just do a single hatchet blade cut, it will definitely heal over.

Thanks Allen. I did not do it like that! I'll give it a shot.
aggiedent
AG
Keep in mind with tallows, that even if you cut them down, they will immediately start sprouting new little trees from the stump.
toolshed
AG
So when they die, then what. Are you going to cut them down, let the fall? Just a thought. Is the owner going to see them girdled and sue you? (See thread about yard drain, pushy lawyer neighbor)
SWCBonfire
AG
aggiedent said:

Keep in mind with tallows, that even if you cut them down, they will immediately start sprouting new little trees from the stump.

Remedy & diesel basal treatment if they are relatively small in diameter/don't have rough bark.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
SunrayAg said:

In my experience, a chainsaw doesn't end the problem. the f*ckers just grow back (over and over again). Chemicals are the only long term solution it seems.
Build It
AG
toolshed said:

So when they die, then what. Are you going to cut them down, let the fall? Just a thought. Is the owner going to see them girdled and sue you? (See thread about yard drain, pushy lawyer neighbor)

When they die their leaves will not be stealing my sunlight and they can rot in place. I'll take the risk of the neighborhood suing me over three dead china berry volunteers in an under maintained strip of various scrubs.
Deats99
AG
Build It said:

Deats,
Thanks I saw a similar document on the inter webs but they all seem to be for a trunk diameter less than 4".

Just follow the directions and increase the volume. They also make tree spikes that can be applied in to the trunk with a Ramset .22 nailer
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Build It
AG
I like the idea of taking some spikes to those SOB's!

Perhaps girdle and spike.
Build It
AG
Deats,

I cant seem to find the spikes you are talking about. Can you point me in the right direction? I did find another herbicide called Spike.

SECeded
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Tordon
DVM97
AG
Where are you located?

DVM
Build It
AG
The swamps of Houston, clear lake to be more exact
plowboy1065
S
As someone who has spent a small fortune in my lifetime fighting tallow trees, the sure fire chemical is Grazon. As stated above take a hatchet and chip the tree bark. Take Grazon and a paintbrush and coat everywhere you chipped the bark away. GUARANTEE you that it will not survive
rwv2055
AG
Clearcast is labeled for tallow trees now.
Southpaw 07
AG
Build It said:

The swamps of Houston, clear lake to be more exact

Sounds like when my parents lived in Pinebrook down there. The neighborhood assn was forever trying to get volunteers to work on the wetlands adjacent to the community pool.
OnlyForNow
AG
What neighborhood?

And Clearcast is what we use when we aerial spray tallows.
CT'97
AG
Allen76 said:

Build It said:

Allen76 said:

Tallow is a root sprouter, if you break apical dominance by killing the top it will trigger multiple new sprouts. Very similar to a mesquite. You have to either digger up the node where the roots start or use chemicals to kill them.
Build It
AG
Trees are now properly girdled with my great grandpa's hand ax with a new edge. Trouble finding Triclopyr today but have located some for Monday. I'll drill into trees and pour some in. Will also paint on the girdle. The war has begun.
Micropterus
AG
Many diff ways to handle tallow.
1. Cheap & effective: Triclopyr (Remedy / Garlon 4) + diesel basal spray. Effective on all sizes; the bigger diameter, higher up you spray.
2. Cheaper: Hack n squirt 50/50 Roundup & water. Fill squirt bottle with solution, spray into the wound made by the hatchet. Get all sides of the tree. Grazon P+D equally effective using this method.
3. Covert ops: Velpar spot gun. Squirt straight product on ground around base of tree. Slow death.
4. Dark ops: Spike
5. Take out a 2nd mortgage: Clearcast
Texan1976
I'd be nervous about the tree falling on my fence or other structures if I poisoned it.
B-1 83
AG
Allen76 said:

This, and spray W/Remedy/diesel immediately.
Build It
AG
Just a quick update. Girdled 3 trees as suggested by Allen. Never got around to the chemicals. 2 are dead and the largest is sickly and on its way to china berry hell. Only 3 months.

Thanks Allen! I'll have some sunshine soon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.