Outdoors
Sponsored by

Kids Go Kart Questions

5,246 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by khkman22
meteorag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So it's that time to upgrade from the plastic power wheels to a gas engine for my boy. Basically what am I looking for? Full suspension, disc brakes, roll cage(a must), adjustable seat.... What are some other things i'm looking for or need to stay away from. Brands... Thanks for yalls help!!! I'd like to stay under $1500.
AgEng06
MouthBQ98
AG
Don't know too much about them other than definitely a roll cage, and maybe a seatbelt too. Outside of that they are simple machines.
FincAg
AG
I had one of these growing up. Got to ride it for hours each weekend.

Just don't be barefooted was the only rule.
Aggielandma12
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Don't know too much about them other than definitely a roll cage, and maybe a seatbelt too. Outside of that they are simple machines.

my go cart growing up had none of that and I survived.

Get him one of these!

MouthBQ98
AG
Ours looked like yours, but I got some pretty good scrapes rolling it over on myself a couple times. I would have driven harder with the roll cage than I did without one.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
I knew someone who was decapitated on one of these. Get the roll cage.
Chazz03
AG
Quote:

What are some other things i'm looking for or need to stay away from.
Be mindful of where they ride at. I know this is easy advice to let roll off your back but it comes from an accident my dad had when I was little. We were leaving Big Spring on day and two boys had gotten away with their 2 seated go cart and were jumping across the HWY on the county road. They flew out in front of dad and he nailed them at 70. cart was no match for his grill guard. One died immediately and the other was in a coma for 5 years before the parents pulled the plug. Sad deal and not the go carts fault but I've hated those things since that day.
FIDO 96
AG
Anyone who had a foot trottle was living large. If you didn't have the old lawnmower throttle (complete with turtle & rabbit logos) wired to the steering post, you weren't doing it right.
EMY92
AG
My neighbor had one with the roll cage when we were kids. His was a single seat. We regularly rode with 4 on there. I would hang on to the back, feet on the frame and holding on to the roll cage, like a fireman.
Greeze06
AG
Got one last year for my kids.

Musts
- adjustable seat
- roll cage
- throttle limiter (increase as they get more responsible
- suspension

I say suspension not because it is smooth off road but because I imagine it would be less smooth without it. My kids ride theirs off road and the muffler mounting nuts vibrate off, even with lock washers so next weekend it's lock washers and double nuts.

Electric start is nice but I make them give it a good pull start every once in a while to keep their manhood.
03_Aggie
Add more power to the powerwheel!
Oso96
AG
Aggielandma12 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Get him one of these!

I had one like this that my dad modified with a chainsaw motor on each of the back wheels. It was very very fast and a wonder I never killed myself.
3rdGenAg05
AG
Nyloc nuts and blue loctite are what you seek.
Ragoo
AG
Aggielandma12 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Get him one of these!

ours was very similar except two person side by side.
Wodanaz
AG

$2200 with trailer.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I know it's not part of the go cart and probably already on the list, but a full-face helmet. All the kids in my rural neighborhood growing up had a go cart, ATV, moped, dirt bike or motorcycle. I knew two who were life-flighted. First- two boys on a four-wheeler hit a driveway culvert at full speed. Helmets saved their lives. Second- neighbor girl hit a pothole with her moped. Her half helmet saved her life but she lives with prominent facial scars and dental prosthetics to this day. There were plenty of other close calls that the chin and eye protection made the difference.
aggieforester05
AG
I could ride a hell of a wheelie on my grandfather's snapper like that.
aggieforester05
AG
The best kind of Honda Odyssey:

easttexasaggie04
AG
I spent many a afternoon on my old go-cart on my grandparents ranch. I had some pretty bad rollovers but dang they were fun. Get an air compressor because it seemed like the tires were always flat.
ashleyschaeffer
How old is your son?

We picked up a razor groundforce drifter up for my son two years ago ans he still loves the hell out of it.

Terk
AG
Aggielandma12 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Get him one of these!

Where'd you get this kart? Haven't seen one like this around.
stdeb11
AG
We had an odyssey growing up (still do too)... When it ran there wasn't much better and rode it everywhere. And when it didn't I walked home a lot to tow it back or got good at pushing it.

The roll cage on that saved me a few times
Aggielandma12
AG
Terk said:

Aggielandma12 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Get him one of these!

Where'd you get this kart? Haven't seen one like this around.

Not mine, just Googled "old go karts'.
AggieChemist
AG
Never had a go kart, but had a three wheeler. Never understood how that thing could throw a cow pie forward.
03_Aggie
Two "unique" ones I wish I still had. The trike would cover you in cow crap.

khkman22
AG
Friend growing up had a two seater like this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.