Outdoors
Sponsored by

What do you use on your fence line?

31,102 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I recently cleared about a 3/4 mile of fence line in the gibbons creek area of everything you can think of by hand. This was the first time in about 20 years it has been done. I'd rather not do it again and like to know what to spray on it. There was everything from grass, mesquite, yaupon, post oak, green sticky vines, etc. I cleared it all to the dirt.

What should I spray?
OhAggie98
AG
I've heard used motor oil works wonders.....
rwv2055
AG
Imazapyr
HTownAg98
Nothing. When the weeds, brush, and grass sprout back, spray it with a brush and weed killer, but leave the grasses alone. Grass is the cheapest weed and brush deterrent there is.
Salt of the water
AG
What's on the other side of the fence? If it's an oat patch, you need to mix up a 55 gallon drum of sweet tea and spray that fence down with lead.
B-1 83
AG
I know hindsight is 20/20, but you should have done a stump treatment with Remedy and diesel as you worked. Now you're stuck with treating sprouts IPT. I don't worry about grass.
EskimoJoe
My dad liked to use teenagers. Preferably teenagers that were out too late the night before.
Allen76
AG
I am presuming you cut everything at ground level with a chainsaw.

Let your mesquites grow up and foliar spray them with Sendero. Next year would be a good time. They will be in three or four foot tall bushes by then. I get a pretty high kill percentage on those, I guess because they have lots of leaves to absorb the Sendero.

Spray the remainder with a cheap brush killer that does not kill the grass. Also wait on these until the re-sprouts are a little bigger. This could be late this summer or just wait until next summer.
BurnetAggie99
Picloram and Fluroxypyr mixed with Diesel
AgySkeet06
AG
I try to do 2 sprayings a year. In the late spring/through summer we use roundup. Because of the cotton/row crop production within proximity we cannot use any 2-4d herbicides once cotton has emerged so usually late summer/early fall we will hit it again with some type of 2-4d once the cotton is cutout or harvested.
Ribeye-Rare
AG

Quote:

I recently cleared about a 3/4 mile of fence line in the gibbons creek area of everything you can think of by hand. This was the first time in about 20 years it has been done. I'd rather not do it again and like to know what to spray on it. There was everything from grass, mesquite, yaupon, post oak, green sticky vines, etc. I cleared it all to the dirt.

What should I spray?
TEXIT,

First, congratulations on hand clearing 4,000 feet of fence line. That's not a single weekend project.

I maintain several thousand feet of fence line and also the perimeter area around several large industrial buildings.

I realize that you've got dirt now, but soon the grass and weeds will begin growing, as well as any mesquites that weren't dead when you cut them.

Treat the mesquites first -- Allen76 likes Sendero, but I'd get the jump on it by using a mixture of Remedy (61% Triclopyr) and diesel oil and spraying all the tree stumps now. This method doesn't require any foliage to be present, and is extremely effective. I've used it for years with excellent results. A&M recommends mixing 1 quart per gallon of diesel, but I use only 1 pint per gallon and get an almost complete kill. You can buy generic 61% Triclopyr for $65/gallon delivered on the internet, or you can buy it locally for slightly more.

Now for the grass and weeds that will begin to grow -- I'm with rwv2055 here. Imazapyr (Polaris/Arsenal) is an excellent residual herbicide that can give you bare ground on the fence line for up to about 6 months, although I've only been getting about 4-5 months with my treatments.

It's usually mixed along with Roundup (glyphosate) in water along with a surfactant and applied after the vegetation starts growing. The glyphosate will kill all the green vegetation, with no residual effect, and the imazapyr will go down into the soil and prevent/kill new growth for an extended time.

You'll find imazapyr as the secondary ingredient in the big box store product 'RM43', which is 43% glyphosate and less than 1% imazapyr. I usually see RM43 selling for about $89.99 for 2.5 gallons at places like Tractor Supply, Atwoods, Home Depot and most feed/farm stores. You may want to start with this product, after you've taken care of the mesquites.

If you're hardcore and have large areas to maintain, you can buy the ingredients separately and mix your own. I like a final mix of about 1.25% imazapyr (of the 27.7% concentrate) combined with 3% glyphosate (net) plus surfactant.

But imazapyr by itself is pretty expensive. I paid around $225 for a generic-brand 2.5 gallon jug of the 27.7% strength, so I wouldn't recommend mixing your own at this point.

Remember, fence lines are always a struggle. Birds are always sitting on them and dropping seeds for new stuff to grow, and even if you shred, it's tough to get under the fence.

It's the way of things, I guess. Steel rusts, wood rots, and nice clear open spaces don't stay that way!
B-1 83
AG
Allen76 said:

I am presuming you cut everything at ground level with a chainsaw.

Let your mesquites grow up and foliar spray them with Sendero. Next year would be a good time. They will be in three or four foot tall bushes by then. I get a pretty high kill percentage on those, I guess because they have lots of leaves to absorb the Sendero.

Spray the remainder with a cheap brush killer that does not kill the grass. Also wait on these until the re-sprouts are a little bigger. This could be late this summer or just wait until next summer.
Be careful here.....Extension and NRCS will tell you to wait 2 years, and this is correct. It takes at least that long for the top and roots to get semi-back in to proportion.
FIDO 96
AG
EskimoJoe said:

My dad liked to use teenagers. Preferably teenagers that were out too late the night before.

And that's a wrap. EOT.
SWCBonfire
AG
Quote:

Treat the mesquites first -- Allen76 likes Sendero, but I'd get the jump on it by using a mixture of Remedy (61% Triclopyr) and diesel oil and spraying all the tree stumps now. This method doesn't require any foliage to be present, and is extremely effective. I've used it for years with excellent results. A&M recommends mixing 1 quart per gallon of diesel, but I use only 1 pint per gallon and get an almost complete kill. You can buy generic 61% Triclopyr for $65/gallon delivered on the internet, or you can buy it locally for slightly more.

I would add that if you have anything tougher than mesquite, you're not going to kill it at reduced rates of remedy in diesel. The labor of spraying is worth putting a heavy (but within label specifications) amount of chemical. I prefer 25% remedy to diesel if I'm spraying huisache mixed in with mesquites because I prefer to do it once!

Alternatively, you can mix sendero and Tordon 22k for a foliar spray that will kill mesquites, cactus and huisache . Sendero by itself will not do well on huisache.
Allen76
AG
Quote:

Alternatively, you can mix sendero and Tordon 22k for a foliar spray that will kill mesquites, cactus and huisache . Sendero by itself will not do well on huisache.

I spray only Sendero on only mesquites. Then I come back and spray Surmount (picloram/floroxypyr) on the remaining selected targets, mostly fencelines and cactus.

That mix (Tordon 22K or Surmount) with Sendero would suit me just fine if it were not for the thought of expensive Sendero going on cactus. I have a lot of cactus, so that comes into the equation. If you only had a few, the convenience of applying this mix one time could be worth it.

dodger02
AG
I'm not nearly as manly as most of you on this thread. But, I do need to spray about 2,500 - 3,000 feet of fence line for this upcoming baseball/softball season at our local little league fields.

If I wanted to mix some Roundup and/or diesel in a 3-5 gallon pump sprayer, how much diesel would I need to use? Is it something where I use a cup or two or more?

I have no idea.
EskimoJoe
You don't need to use diesel with glyphosphate.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Joe's right. You'll use water with glyphosate (Roundup), not diesel.

Really, if you've got to maintain that 3,000 feet all season long (AND you're not worrying about killing any adjacent trees), just buy some RM 43 (43% glyphosate + imazapyr + surfactant) and mix it about 1 pint to a gallon of water.

It will last _much_ longer than glyphosate alone.

And don't worry about being 'manly' - heck, if I were 'manly', I wouldn't fool with herbicides and instead just use a machete and weedeater.
C4D
AG
Broad leaf weed killer dude.

Mix it and spray it. The hotter outsode thwe better
ursusguy
AG
Bye bye quail.

Yes, I realize that isn't much of an issue in the area in question.
Kenneth_2003
AG
My first thought was "I pee on it."

Then I realized that's a lot longer fence than I'm used to.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.