Outdoors
Sponsored by

Idiot Off Duty LAPD Cop

3,571 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Fishin Texas Aggie 05
Pooh Ah
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Unreal More here

Video appearing to show off-duty Los Angeles cop firing gun in scuffle with teens spark protests

Anaheim officials 'disturbed' by gun incident with off-duty cop
Kenneth_2003
AG
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Without seeing the confrontation from the beginning it is hard to pass judgement either way, the video starts after the off duty police officer has grabbed the kid. Most likely the kid did something to warrant being grabbed by the off duty police officer. The guy didn't just single out one kid for no reason and grab him.
EastTexasAg1994
AG
It states in the article that one the kids ran into the cop knocking him over the hedge. You also clearly see in the video where one of the kids is walking up on him from the side and reaches into his back pocket. I'm not saying the off duty cop was right, but there was a whole lot of wrong on both sides of that equation. That guy had about 10 kids circling him. It sure looks to me like that cop could have ended up in the hospital if he didn't discharge his firearm. I don't think those kids were circling around him to give him a group hug.
Pooh Ah
AG
So was pulling and firing his sidearm warranted as well?
EastTexasAg1994
AG
Pooh Ah said:

So was pulling and firing his sidearm warranted as well?
The situation kinda changed when they physically started to hit him. You heard the other kids talk about that the police were already on the way. Why did they want to get away before the police came?
MouthBQ98
AG
When you are surrounded by a mob that has already been violent?

Draw maybe. Shoot, not quite so soon.
Pooh Ah
AG
The kid was trying to get away and he drug the boy through the bushes onto his property.

The other boy that pushed was trying to get his friend free. Just crazy but one individual was a trained adult.
EastTexasAg1994
AG
Pooh Ah said:

The kid was trying to get away and he drug the boy through the bushes onto his property.

I would have hit him as well.
So you're saying the guy just drug the kid off the street as he was minding his own business? That's leaping to a big conclusion without the rest of the video.
Pooh Ah
AG
Caught me in an edit.
Pooh Ah
AG
Quote:

Wyatt said that the video "picks up several houses down from where the initial contact was made." He said the officer in the video had been dealing with teens walking across his lawn for months.

"Yesterday, he sees the kids walking on the lawn and he says, 'Hey, guys, please walk on the sidewalk,'" Wyatt told KTTV. He said that prompted a chorus of epithets from some of the teens.

Quote:

The dispute occurred outside the officer's house over the issue of teens walking across his property, something Quezada said was an ongoing dispute. The officer got into an argument with a 13-year-old boy and wrestled with him while trying to detain him.
Officials said the first 911 calls from the scene came from either the officer or his father.

So basically an argument over rude kids walking on his lawn resulted in a weapon being discharged by a trained officer.

Were the kids being asses, most likely.

Did the adult, an armed and trained off duty officer, handle it correctly, no not at all.
always gig em
AG
A la vergxxx!!!

He should have let the dumbass kid go but should be equally embarrassed to be pushed around by kids at the same time. Think about that:

Kids.
EastTexasAg1994
AG
Pooh Ah said:

Caught me in an edit.
Notice what I posted at first. There was fail on both sides. The cop could have been an asshat to the kids. The kid(s) probably mouthed off and may have shoved said cop trying to impress girlfriend. There are a whole lot of lessons to be learned here. Cop is going to catch a metric crap ton of grief over this now no matter what happened before the video started rolling. This could have ended a whole lot worse. Shoving people and hitting them isn't going to end well sometimes. All sides need to admit they were wrong and move along. Cop probably needs more training.
Touchscreen
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

When you are surrounded by a mob that has already been violent?

Draw maybe. Shoot, not quite so soon.
The kid reaching into his back pocket for something sure backed off when the gun appeared. I don't know if what the guy did is legal in the eyes of the law, but he may have saved himself from getting cut.

Oh no, we suck again?
AG
Lots of wrong on both sides... my biggest issue is that once he went hands on, stay in contact with both hands... once he gets shoved and draws, he should NOT re engage with the weapon in his hand. This is a huge rule we teach in all the various trainings we use/go to. We teach it specifically for these types of issues, I believe the shot was accidental due to a startle response or sympathetic muscle response. Either way, he's gonna have some splaining to do, Lucy.
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
Accidental discharge with this post...
Bottlerocket
AG
no excuses for the cop but punk ass thug kids like that absolutely infuriate me
FirefightAg
AG
I think it was an AD. As he reaching and pulling the kid through the hedges. Didn't seem intentional.
MookieBlaylock
AG
La Raza Unida has an interesting take on this event

The cop fired into the ground
Better result than firing into a person
OP

Please go through the video step by step and explain what was done wrong.

Please explain what steps you would have taken to obtain the outcome you desire in this situation.
Pooh Ah
AG
I would have not engaged in a physical altercation with the kids.

I would not have pulled my firearm and per the other poster the officer should have disengaged.
Pooh Ah
AG
One last point.

It is ok to be critical of an officer and their response to a situation. It does not make one anti LEO.

This officer made poor choices and yes I hold him to a higher standard than some teenage hooligans.

I am not excusing the kids responsibilty.

I also find the adult bystander, who is doing nothing, to be curious.
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
In the end, this is a teachable moment for all involved... luckily no one got hurt from it and maybe some needed discussions will be had (on both ends) that will help improve the situation for those involved, the community, and the public/LEOs at large.

Pooh Ah said:

I would have not engaged in a physical altercation with the kids.

I would not have pulled my firearm and per the other poster the officer should have disengaged.

I enjoyed reading this. Please go into more detail about what transpired prior to this video. Feel free to include any links to additional video, police reports, website links, or anything else you have used to come to the conclusions you have posted.
Pooh Ah
AG
JonesingAg said:

In the end, this is a teachable moment for all involved... luckily no one got hurt from it and maybe some needed discussions will be had (on both ends) that will help improve the situation for those involved, the community, and the public/LEOs at large.

Agreed but folks are going off the deep end, claiming race etc.

The fact is, the high school kids have been a problem in the neighborhood, tagging fences etc.

The officer lost his cool.

More here:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-anaheim-video-20170223-story,amp.html

Pooh Ah
AG
Feel free to do the same.

We can agree to disagree.
aggielostinETX
AG
Cop should be fired and charged with assault and firearms violation.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Thankful I don't live in LA. Those kids need a good belt.
Pooh Ah
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Yes they do.
aggielostinETX
AG
Pooh Ah said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

Yes they do.
yep
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
Pooh Ah said:

Agreed but folks are going off the deep end, claiming race etc.

The fact is, the high school kids have been a problem in the neighborhood, tagging fences etc.

The officer lost his cool.

More here:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-anaheim-video-20170223-story,amp.html

Going down the race rabbit hole is a losing proposition and doesn't help foster a legitimate discussion... I hate that it's what is the first thing that gets thrown out there when white cop/minority offender situation with force occurs. Either way, the officer should have handled it differently... but I also understand the emotional / in the moment reaction but he's got to do a better job of handling it better (especially in this day in age where you know everything is filmed and we (cops) always look worse than it really is). He took a minor offense (if any) and potentially turned it into a deadly force situation by using poor judgement.
Post removed:
by user
Pooh Ah said:

Feel free to do the same.

We can agree to disagree.

I haven't watched the video or read any articles about it.

I like to let things like this sit for a week or two before I start to read about it in depth. I enjoy reading other people's commentary about these types of things on texags and another board I frequent. Sometimes I like to reread these threads to see who was right and wrong.

Thank you for posting.

ETA.

Many times I never do read up on the incident or watch the video. I'm positive that nothing in that video will affect my life in any way. I don't feel a need to care.
Serious Lee
does LA have a police chopper constantly hovering over the city?
CanyonAg77
AG
All I have to say it was when the shot was fired, it was like watching cockroaches when the lights come on.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.