Outdoors
Sponsored by

Texas Law Shield

8,439 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by powerbelly
Msgt USAF Ret
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I keep hearing both good and bad things about this organization. If you are a member, what is your experience. When I took the CHL class TLS didn't come talk to us. Also, what about American Concealed Carry Association?
txyaloo
AG
Texas Law Shield is currently being sued. Most "gun" attorneys I know don't recommend them because their terms and conditions leave them a lot of wiggle room in actually representing you.

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/08/texas-law-shield-concealed-carry-insurance-class-action-lawsuit/

From the story:

Quote:

TLS defines coverage of the "use" of a firearm as:
Any incident where the Legal Service Contract Holder either discharges or displays a firearm for the purpose of using the firearm as a weapon to stop a threat, whether the Legal Service Contract Holder pulls the trigger and discharges the firearm or not. This term does not include taking the firearm to a location that is prohibited by federal, state, or local law, negligent or unintended discharges, or negligent or unintended displays.

That seems straightforward enough: "So if you're not using your firearm to stop a threat, you are not covered," Mark Bennett, a criminal defense attorney based in Houston, writes on his legal blog. But that's a huge potential problem for members, he adds: "Often in a gun case the central issue is whether you are using your firearm to stop a threat." Imagine, for example, a licensed gun owner like George Zimmerman, who was charged with murder after shooting Trayvon Martin to death. Zimmerman claimed he was defending himself against an assault from Martin, but the criminal charges against Zimmerman turned precisely on whether or not he was justified in perceiving a threat. So a TLS member could conceivably find himself in a catch-22 where the charges against him the very charges for which he hoped TLS would assist him with exempt TLS from bankrolling a defense.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I do not let them in my store. My biggest beef is the scare tactics their reps use to get people to buy in. Do not like it at all.

When we do CHL classes, I do bring up the various programs and tell people to look them up for themselves. I think it can be advantageous, but it's not for everyone. There are a lot of holes in the program. Keep in mind, the store gets a kickback for everyone in a class that signs up. I have enough assets now that I have a couple lawyers that I can talk to in the event of something happening--I want to protect my assets as best as possible and not leave it up to chance on what lawyer I'll end up with.
BenderRodriguez
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

My biggest beef is the scare tactics their reps use to get people to buy in. Do not like it at all.

Agree 100%.

I don't use them, I don't recommend them to others either for that exact reason.
Midland CT 05
AG
So if you're like me, an lol poor, is there another service out there that would be better that Texas Law Shield? I don't have the $$ to pay a retainer fee.
GottaRide
S
The attorney that represented me wouldn't let me pay him. He was the best defense attorney in the area and a friend, so I had that going for me. And he really didn't have to do much. However, knowing he was in my corner was a huge comfort. No matter how justified you are, know who you are going to call.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Prepaid legal services are almost always a bad idea.
Msgt USAF Ret
Thanks for all the replies. It looks as if I'll pass on their seminar as well as their services.
How about USCCA (I said American CCA)?
mts6175
AG
I signed up for them to get the discount in my CHL class. Never paid attention to it, just sent the reoccurring fee in every month as I thought it was good basic level insurance to have if something happened. That was until they dropped me about a year in with zero notification. I just noticed the fee wasn't being drafted from my account any more and that's the only reason I saw it.

I do know someone that's involved in the class action lawsuit against them and was asked if I wanted to take part in it. Maybe my name is on a list they received and dropped it because of it, but I doubt it.
Dunbar
AG
This might be a bit anal, but I will never use them. Ran into one of their executives 2 years ago at a Christmas party and we sparked up a conversation about TLS. Two things I took from our convo. 1) they only care about numbers and the amount of people signed up. 2) very few of their own people actively carry or are gun people. That tells me they dont believe 100% in what they are doing and its only a job to them. If it were my company, I would encourage, if not mandate people to carry their guns at work.
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

I do not let them in my store. My biggest beef is the scare tactics their reps use to get people to buy in. Do not like it at all.

When we do CHL classes, I do bring up the various programs and tell people to look them up for themselves. I think it can be advantageous, but it's not for everyone. There are a lot of holes in the program. Keep in mind, the store gets a kickback for everyone in a class that signs up. I have enough assets now that I have a couple lawyers that I can talk to in the event of something happening--I want to protect my assets as best as possible and not leave it up to chance on what lawyer I'll end up with.

So, what would be a good way to go about it? Find a lawyer and put them on retainer in case anything ever happens? Just have contact info for them and call them in the event you ever need them?

Are there any local lawyers that you would recommend for the OB?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
The two I have are customers... we have a special arrangement. Let me talk to either of them and see if they would be interested or if they would know someone. Neither are "on retainer" but... both receive whatever the hell they want at cost +3% with a handshake deal of some serious help if need be. The odds of me ever needing either (one is civil and one is criminal) is small, and if something comes up against the business that's a separate situation. So both are getting significant discounts with the idea that they'll probably never have to do much heavy lifting, legally. And if something super major comes up, then both have agreed to give me a "hookup". As is, I've picked both of their brains on things many times and haven't had to pay either. However, this is a special relationship I have with them.

If I weren't in this situation, I don't know that I'd go as far as paying someone anything but I would definitely have talked to a lawyer and have them on speed dial if the need arises.
Alte Schule
If your a responsible firearm owner with a LTC/CHL the chances of you needing this type of insurance is almost nil. As the article states TLS "is not a prepaid legal service, it is truly a retainer for a lawyer," If you are charged with an offense involving a firearm TLS may provide, if your lucky, a local attorney referral but then again it may be someone from another county.
Having some kind of rapport with a local attorney, someone with your best interest in mind and knows their way around the county courthouse is, IMO, the best option.
powerbelly
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Prepaid legal services are almost always a bad idea.

QFT
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.