Outdoors
Sponsored by

Donkey with cattle

2,967 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Allen76
Na Zdraví 87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone run a donkey with their cattle? Coyotes are getting bad around here. Some folks have lost some newborn calves to them.
Thinking about putting a jenny or two with our calving heifers. They tend to walk off from their babies for longer periods of time. And I don't have time to hunt them as much as I need to.
KRamp90
AG
Have had donkey's with our cattle for years. We did not lose any calves before, but we have not lost any since. Plus, they have very little upkeep, and are friendly. My 2 cents.
redass1876
AG
I've always heard a single donkey will help. Multiple ones will then protect their own and not the cattle

Could just be a story but it is what i have heard
Spore Ag
We have raised donkeys for years and have also noticed a hog reduction as well. Generally one donkey works best as 2 sometimes wander off together. A warning also is they will attack your dogs. We have jacks that will do the job.
stdeb11
AG
We had a donkey named Pablo with the cows growing up. We didn't have many coyotes before, during, or after the donkey so no idea on the effectiveness.

But my sister used to sit on Pablo the donkey when he was eating and ride him around near the barn. One day Pablo jumped and she fell off and broke her arm. I think that was a fun explanation for my parents to the Dr.
PabloEsteban87
AG
Some are more protective and territorial than others, just like cows with babies. We have had some over the years but I'm not sure how protective they were regarding the cattle. My dad was the donkey person and let them accumulate to a small herd unfortunately. I have always been told that having only one donkey with your cows will provide better results than several. The reason being is that they become part of the herd as opposed to staying in their own herd of donkeys.
Fwiw, my dad claims that he watched an old Jack chase down a coyote and grab it behind the shoulders and shake it like a ragdoll. Of course, my dad is 85 with some dementia so he tends to "remember" things that I don't so...
I will say this, when he had several they definitely kept the thistles in check.
If you get one, don't pay for it. Their are people that have grown tired of theirs and will probably give them to you just for coming and picking them up. I gave away the last two that we had last summer.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Anyone know where I can get a jenny around central Texas or the BCS area. I'm located in central Bastrop county. My son is at A&M.
PabloEsteban87
AG
Look on Craigslist. If you're willing to drive a little, you may be able to get one for free.
PabloEsteban87
AG
And, one more thing, when you load it on the trailer, please make a video to share with the OB. They love loading up in a trailer, especially the first time.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
If they are anything like some horses I trained to load for the first time, it will be fun.
txyaloo
AG
We had one for a few months. Kicked one of our bulls in the rear leg and broke it. Had to put the bull down. I've heard of people using llamas instead.
Unemployed
AG
PabloEsteban87 said:

Some are more protective and territorial than others, just like cows with babies. We have had some over the years but I'm not sure how protective they were regarding the cattle. My dad was the donkey person and let them accumulate to a small herd unfortunately. I have always been told that having only one donkey with your cows will provide better results than several. The reason being is that they become part of the herd as opposed to staying in their own herd of donkeys.
Fwiw, my dad claims that he watched an old Jack chase down a coyote and grab it behind the shoulders and shake it like a ragdoll. Of course, my dad is 85 with some dementia so he tends to "remember" things that I don't so...
I will say this, when he had several they definitely kept the thistles in check.
If you get one, don't pay for it. Their are people that have grown tired of theirs and will probably give them to you just for coming and picking them up. I gave away the last two that we had last summer.
Quote:

We had a donkey named Pablo with the cows growing up. We didn't have many coyotes before, during, or after the donkey so no idea on the effectiveness.

But my sister used to sit on Pablo the donkey when he was eating and ride him around near the barn. One day Pablo jumped and she fell off and broke her arm. I think that was a fun explanation for my parents to the Dr.

Coincidence? I think not.
johnrth
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Coyotes are getting bad around here. Some folks have lost some newborn calves to them. And I don't have time to hunt them as much as I need to.

Have guns will travel.
fightingfarmer09
txyaloo said:

We had one for a few months. Kicked one of our bulls in the rear leg and broke it. Had to put the bull down. I've heard of people using llamas instead.

We have lost more cattle to donkeys than to coyotes over the years.

Also know that if we go into another drought you will have zero methods to get rid of the animal outside of shooting it yourself.
SteveBott
AG
Second the Llama. Buddy of mine wanted to expand his goat herd and found a lady who wanted to sell. He call and ask to come out and like the goats. The lady said at the price she was willing to sell he had to take the llama with him since the animal was part of the herd.

Well he gets home and gets out and few days later his wife went in to the pasture for some reason, got between the herd and the llama which charged full speed making the wife run for her life, it seemed. He now is the only person to get in with the llama and has to do all the maintenance/vet stuff. Llama tolerates him but he is also 6'1 and 240 pounds of Minnesota stock.

But they have not lost a baby goat since the llama came around.
Spore Ag
No jennies now but a few miniature sorrel jacks. We are in Fayette county, Round Top.
DuckDown2013
AG
1 donkey, NOT 2. 2 together are worthless.
rwv2055
AG
PabloEsteban87 said:

And, one more thing, when you load it on the trailer, please make a video to share with the OB. They love loading up in a trailer, especially the first time.

This!!!!
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
We used to keep one with ours. But then the Jenny imprinted on one of the calfs and would chase off the mother. We would run the donkey off clear to the other side of the property and within 2 minutes it would haul ass back and stand over the calf and kick the mother. After 24 hours of the calf not eating the donkey met its maker. It was the strangest thing.
GSS
Pretty sure the "donkey with cattle" is more of a fad/failure than asset, especially for those that opted for "if one is good two or more must be better".
Neighbor's donkeys (3) are seldom seen within 1/4 mile of his cattle...another strike.

They eat the same grass better reserved for the cattle, IMO.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
EskimoJoe
A very wise man once told me a good @$$ is hard to find.
Allen76
AG
Coyotes rarely bother cattle, especially if you have good protective mothers. The problem IMO is when you have a calf that is unprotected either because of its health or because the mother is new or lazy. My theory is this is when a coyote could possibly learn how to get to that sick calf and possibly could become a calf killer.

I am sure others have this same theory. As long as Mr. Coyote hasn't had the opportunity to start eating beef, he isn't much of a problem. But nevertheless a rancher is going to worry since there is always the possibility.

Even though I don't worry about coyotes much, I do let a varmint hunter on my property once in a while.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.