Outdoors
Sponsored by

2017 Binocular bargain alert #1:

1,859 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by arrow
Caladan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OK - so this isn't a light-the-world-on-fire bargain, but it is pretty decent. Cameralandny.com has the Leupold Mojave Pro Guide HD 10x42 on sale for $379. This is about $200 less than commonly seen prices. They used to have free shipping too, but I don't know their current shipping policy. I have dealt with them, and can recommend them.

The Pro Guide HD is the latest version of the Mojave line. I wouldn't buy one at their normal price, but at $379 I certainly would if I were to need a good 10x42, especially if shipping is included. Their footprint is smaller than just about any other 10x42, and they are lighter in weight than most others as well. Optically they are very good, and you won't get any better until you go up to a $665 Tract Toric. Of course we all know how good is Leupold's customer service.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming............
Lungblood
Do you know your spotting scopes like you know your binos?
Post removed:
by user
Caladan
Lungblood said:

Not to the same extent, but I can converse reasonably cohesively about them.......
Caladan
jayelbee said:

Thanks for the heads up but I ended up getting those vortex binos for Christmas.
1. Which Votex bino?

2. How do you like them?
Post removed:
by user
Lungblood
Caladan said:

Lungblood said:

Not to the same extent, but I can converse reasonably cohesively about them.......

Can you recommend one in the $500 range... Light and compact for backpack mule deer hunting?
TxLawDawg
AG
Lungblood said:

Caladan said:

Lungblood said:

Can you recommend one in the $500 range... Light and compact for backpack mule deer hunting?
I'm glad Lungblood asked this question. I clicked on the thread to inquire about spotting scopes. I'm not as concerned about light and compact, but I'm in about the same price range. I'm looking for one I can attach to a gun stock like a scope rather than using a tripod.
Petengr
AG
I picked up a pair of tracts based on caladan's rec, very happy with them!
Caladan
jayelbee said:

The Talon 8x42s that got posted up here when Cabelas was blowing them out. I think they're fantastic, bit I've mostly only gotten to use them in the back yard to watch the wildlife in the pond behind the house. I did get to take them to the duck lease where I watched the geese in the next field over for quite a while. While getting the individual lenses dialed in to my own eyes, I did notice how bright they were indoors at night.

Like many of my guns, they're much more suited to the job than I am, and I expect that they'll suit all of my needs quite well for a long time.
Glad to read that you are getting along with them. They certainly do have a very good build quality to them.
Caladan
Lungblood said:

Caladan said:

Lungblood said:

There are two that I can highly recommend. The Nikon 50mm Fieldscope ED and the Vortex 50mm Razor HD. Yes, they are a bit above your price range, but they would be well worth saving a few more months. Cameralandny.com has the Razor for $699, and comes with a $100 gift card for future purchases.

Otherwise, I would investigate the 50mm Leupold Gold Ring and the Bushnell 50mm and 60mm Ultra Legend HD. Buy both from a place that has free returns such as Opticsplanet, and send back the one you don't like.

But really -- get the Nikon or the Razor. You are thaaaat close (insert visual aid here) to getting a really good scope.........
Caladan
TxLawDawg said:

Lungblood said:

Caladan said:

Lungblood said:

I'm glad Lungblood asked this question. I clicked on the thread to inquire about spotting scopes. I'm not as concerned about light and compact, but I'm in about the same price range. I'm looking for one I can attach to a gun stock like a scope rather than using a tripod.
I've not attached a spotter to a gunstock, but I would imagine that in order to avoid an extremely high sight-line that you would get with a spotter that has a prism housing, that you would need to go with a scope that has what I call a "straight-through" design. These are the kind that does not have a prism housing, so your sight-line when mounted will be much lower - similar to a riflescope IOW. Nikon and Bushnell have them in your price range. I would probably go with the Bushnell Elite (don't get their 80mm Elite scopes). Meopta and Swarovski have them too, but will be much more expensive.
arrow
AG
Lungblood said:

The 65mm Vanguard Endeavor HD is $450 from amazon. It's well regarded with the Rokslide community:
Rokslide Review

I have an 82mm version for star gazing, an 800 yd rifle range, and IDing waterfowl on a pond about 350 yds away. It performs all those tasks just fine. I did have to use Vanguard's customer service when my 18 month old son knocked my tripod over (when it was fully raised). They stood by their lifetime no-fault warranty and sent me a new eyepiece no questions asked.

For a 50mm, all my research leads to the Nikon that Caladan recommended.
Lungblood
arrow said:

Lungblood said:

The 65mm Vanguard Endeavor HD is $450 from amazon. It's well regarded with the Rokslide community:
Rokslide Review

I have an 82mm version for star gazing, an 800 yd rifle range, and IDing waterfowl on a pond about 350 yds away. It performs all those tasks just fine. I did have to use Vanguard's customer service when my 18 month old son knocked my tripod over (when it was fully raised). They stood by their lifetime no-fault warranty and sent me a new eyepiece no questions asked.

For a 50mm, all my research leads to the Nikon that Caladan recommended.

Thanks arrow... Don't know how I missed that. The review on rokside is for the 65s (straight), but the only listing I can find for $450 on Amazon is for the 65a (angled). I would imagine the performance is identical except for the obvious difference of head/eye position. Not having any real experience with spotters, I would imagine that an angled scope would be much more forgiving. Thoughts?
arrow
AG
I prefer angled.

Here's an angle vs. straight article. I don't think it's behind the gohunt pay-wall:

SPOTTING SCOPES: ANGLED VS. STRAIGHT WHICH DESIGN IS BEST?
AgEng06
AG
Lungblood,

I was actually going to reccommend the 50mm Razor HD on the Optics Thread when you asked. Like Caladan pointed out, they list for $699, but I would almost guarantee you can get at least $100 off of that through Optics Planet. Use their online chat option and negotiate with them. They will normally give 10% off for just asking. I got the Razor HD 16-48x65mm last fall for $900 plus a $100 gift card (I think at that time the list price was $1199).
Caladan
The 65mm Endeavor that arrow mentioned is a great suggestion, and would be the pick of the litter for a low to mid-level 65mm spotter. However, it will not meet your stated requirement of "light and compact".
arrow
AG
Yeah you might want to handle some 50mm vs 65mm to really decide what you consider the optimum size. I have a 5-20x56mm Nightforce SHV of one of my rifles, and would prefer my spotter to be a bit larger. A 50mm straight scope would certainly be compact. The guys I hunted Muleys with last year both ran 20-60x65mm Swaro (one an STS, the other an ATS), so naturally that's what I want now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.